Sign in to follow this  

P3D v2.5 SLI test results, up 33%

I totally agree with your last comment WebMaximus

B)

If you decide to stick with a single card I would wait 1-2 weeks until the 980Ti is released and you will then get a card that will probably perform pretty much like a Titan X at a much lower price or get a 980 which will likely drop in price when the 980Ti is released.

Personally I was at first very tempted to try out SLI but considering the numerous issues found so far by people running SLI in combination with still no official statement from Nvidia nor LM regarding SLI compatibility in P3D I decided to sitt still in the boat for now.

I too find it very strange why LM first happily announces SLI compatibility coming to P3D and then when a new driver is released shortly thereafter which "seems" to include SLI compatibility for P3D all we get from LM in this regard is complete silence.

+1

Could be the fact that this is a "BETA" P3D driver for the masses.

At least i think so.

Nice to hear about a GTX980TI . Could drop the price of the GTX980. Seems like there is 20-30% in advantage from that chip to my GTX780SC.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Thanks Richard.

Hope the 980Ti price will be under 700€. 

Another one just happened.  No recovery - Had to restart

(it says " recovered", but everything I do leaves me with a black screen in the sim)

http://i.imgur.com/Wt1TQCX.jpg

I have had tons of these in the past at random occasions, if I recall correct, one the three tweaks below solved the problem : 

1- Power management settings in Nvidia Panel was reset to adaptative. Had to set it back to "maximum performance" http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3130/~/setting-power-management-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance

2- BIOS : Disabled HPET. Unsure it really solved the problem by itself, but I did both 1- and 2- at the same time.

3- Chrome : Disabled Hardware acceleration for Flash (I use chrome a lot while flying, displaying charts, refreshing Webeye...) 

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/271264-chrome-gpu-hardware-acceleration-turn-off.html

I think it's possible you guys are slightly overstating the "issues" that people are having, but fair enough.

Now that I'm dialed in, a given scenario for me (at KORS using full OrbX stuff and the RealAir Legacy) I've gone from 20ish FPS to smooth and solid at 30fps with really quite high settings  (very close to Robs Titan X settings).

Super pleased with that on $600 of GPU (2 970's I got got pricing on w/rebates)

Very little in the way of any artifacts for me or anything else really.

So for me it's been a huge win.

Thanks Richard.

Hope the 980Ti price will be under 700€. 

I have had tons of these in the past at random occasions, if I recall correct, one the three tweaks below solved the problem : 

1- Power management settings in Nvidia Panel was reset to adaptative. Had to set it back to "maximum performance" http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3130/~/setting-power-management-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance

2- BIOS : Disabled HPET. Unsure it really solved the problem by itself, but I did both 1- and 2- at the same time.

3- Chrome : Disabled Hardware acceleration for Flash (I use chrome a lot while flying, displaying charts, refreshing Webeye...) 

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/271264-chrome-gpu-hardware-acceleration-turn-off.html

Thank you - I think it was #1

Problem hasn't shown up since.

Cheers!

Thanks for your fast response. Drivers downloaded, can't wait to test SLI on my rig !

With the new driver and my 2 x GTX 770, I made a quick test departing from Sedona/KSEZ (Orbx) and had a lot of artefact (flashing textures)... I need more testing but so far it's very close to what was available with the AFR-Trick.... ;-(

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

Solution for the rich guys only..... I struggled to buy my 650 Ti 1GB card... just imagine what it would be to buy two 780.... Really not for me :-(

I was lucky they offered 12 month no interest financing on my GTX980(otherwise I couldn't have afforded it) but there is no way I'd buy a second $600 card, for a few more FPS.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I want share my SLI results.

first to my system:

Intel Core i7 4790K overclocked to 4.8Ghz

Gigabyte Z79X Gaming 5

16GB DDR3  1333mhz

2x GTX 980

scenario is Aerosoft MA EGLL, PMDG777 with major thunderstorm weather theme

sli.JPG

you can see there is no difference with 8x SS AA setting, but a very nice improve with 4xSGSS in heavy weather.

8xSGSS is also possible but the GPU usage is on 99% sometimes the fps drop down to 13fps with this high load.

Patrick Tinner

Thanks a lot for sharing your very interesting results where it's clearly seen how SLI allows you to use 4xSGSS with perfectly acceptable performance :)

Richard Åsberg

The results also show that with one GTX 980, using 4x SGSS, your system is GPU limited. With 8x SS it is probably CPU limited. SLI will help when the CPU is not the bottleneck.

I suspect the 4xSSAA result would show almost the same values as the 8xSSAA does above, with or without SLI, because SSAA is not working properly in P3D, giving the same results with 1 or 2 cards. Since Supersampling is roughly equivalent to increasing the backbuffer size, so we expect a reduction in max fps possible. However, the SG supersampling setting does work with NI, and the result shows what is expected of an equivalent increase in backbuffer size. The extra card is actually showing a great improvement to handling a larger overall screen size, rather than AA specifically.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I know this has been posted before but I'll repeat again.  When testing or just flying, any access to the P3D Menu system (including right click anywhere on screen to bring up a floating menu), can cause SLI issues (sync issue and/or drop to single GPU).  A solution to get both GPU's working again is to Alt + Enter twice.

LM are aware of these issues and they are continuing to work with nVidia to come up with a solution.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

I'm running an I7 990X with 2 GTX580 in surround mode (5900x1080) which also enables SLI. I use this configuratione since P3D 2.2and I have not seen any of the issues you describe. Both cards are working stable and in parallel wether I open a menu or anything else.

Maybe it's only an issue with the more modern cards like 9xx?!

Regards,

Michael

Cheers,
Michael

Aorus Master z390 / i9 9900KS / GTX 1070@2.1 / 32 GB Ram / all watercooled

Maybe it's only an issue with the more modern cards like 9xx?!

Could very well be, different GPUs could certainly exhibit issues while other's don't -- pretty common results as GPU's evolve over time.  I know several others have reported these issues also, hopefully they get resolved either by LM or nVidia.

Now that P3D has an official nVidia profile, I'm hoping this means P3D will stay on nVidia's radar.

Cheers, Rob.

LM are aware of these issues and they are continuing to work with nVidia to come up with a solution.

That's great news!

Richard Åsberg

Does anyone know how "memory bandwidth" of a given GPU relates to performance on 4k screens?

More the merrier for high resolutions?