Sign in to follow this  
gboz

A2A Piper Comanche 250

But an S-curve in FSUIPC doesn't change the limitsof the controllers range anyway

This is why a curve is a personal choice, as the extremes are unaffected, so I don't think it matters what a person chooses.  I think we've turned a nice corner with the sensitivity sliders in FSX.  Now at least we can finally all be on the same page.  Having some with this slider left, others right, was just a recipe for trouble.  

RIGHT = direct response, no delay, then it's up to the user what curve they prefer.  It seems, based on the responses in this thread, FSX has gotten better for many with this understanding.

Scott.

I'm still set up with a joystick for helicopters, so I haven't had a chance to try out any FSX planes with my normal yoke, but I did take the Cherokee around for a quick spin with the calibration sliders at full right, using the Warthog, and it felt just fine. I guess I was fearing that there would be some dramatic difference that would throw all my motor skills off, but it was all ok.

This is why a curve is a personal choice, as the extremes are unaffected, so I don't think it matters what a person chooses.  I think we've turned a nice corner with the sensitivity sliders in FSX.  Now at least we can finally all be on the same page.  Having some with this slider left, others right, was just a recipe for trouble.  

RIGHT = direct response, no delay, then it's up to the user what curve they prefer.  It seems, based on the responses in this thread, FSX has gotten better for many with this understanding.

Scott.

Are you saying to set up controllers in FSX with sensitivity sliders right AND use fsuipc for curves?

"Are you saying to set up controllers in FSX with sensitivity sliders right AND use fsuipc for curves?"

I was kind of confused about that too, since there is no way to use both the FSX sensitivity slider AND FSUIPC curves that I know of. If the assignement is in FSUIPC, not FSX, the sensitivity slider won't even exist anyway.

I'm pretty sure that the simplest answer to your question is that if you assign your flight controls in FSUIPC that this is functionally equivalent to FSX sensitivity slider full right, meaning no artificial delay (and perfectly linear). So just by assigning in FSUIPC, you have already accomplished what is intended. And then any curvature you add to that assignment, to suit your preferences, is gravy.

Now, if he is referring to some way in which you can use FSX-only assignments, and have those sensitivity sliders full right (0 delay) but then also be able to impose some sort of an input curvature, all within FSX, then I'm thinking that you can't do that.

Guys, if you're calibrating flight controls in FSUIPC ensure that those controls are disabled in FSX. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Well no kiddin' Gregg!

:)

Some of the comments I saw had me worried that someone would try that.  It wouldn't be a pleasant experience.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Guest tymk

Guys, if you're calibrating flight controls in FSUIPC ensure that those controls are disabled in FSX. 

Well no kiddin' Gregg!

:)

Actually, it can be a problem, since FSX has a nasty habit of globally re-enabling controllers if you plug in a new device. This has caught me out once or twice... :lol:

Tym

For me personally, I don't use FSUIPC and don't have a need or desire to have a curve for a controller, as we tune these airplanes with a direct connect.

But if someone wants to use a controller curve, whether it be through FSUIPC or some other controller software, I think this is personal preference - meaning, no curve is necessarily "right."  Since, the plane will perform the same with both high and low values being the same, stall, glide, trim, etc.

Scott.

I tried removing the curves and it feels a lot better already and landings were easier. I am not using FSX calibration however, I have FSUIPC set as "send direct to fsuipc for calibration" but it isn't calibrated

Actually, it can be a problem, since FSX has a nasty habit of globally re-enabling controllers if you plug in a new device. This has caught me out once or twice... :lol:

Indeed.  Strangely, after I first moved to FSUICP I had this happen several times.  The controllers that I'd completely disabled in FSX (my yoke and pedals) would magically reappear as enabled.  The results are pretty obvious when it occurs, though the first time had me badly confused.  That said, after a few initial glitches I haven't had this happen in several years.  No idea why it used to happen or what changed causing it to stop.

Scott

Guest tymk

No idea why it used to happen or what changed causing it to stop.

AFAIK every device is assigned a unique ID once it's installed (e.g. 06FB9E30-E19B-11E2-8001-444553540000), and as long as you plug it in/out in the same Windows install (and possibly the same USB port), the ID stays the same. So, FSX treats it as an old device, and doesn't touch the settings. If you plug in a new device for which there is no entry in Standard.xml, however, FSX re-enables all controllers.

Tym

I tried removing the curves and it feels a lot better already and landings were easier. I am not using FSX calibration however, I have FSUIPC set as "send direct to fsuipc for calibration" but it isn't calibrated

the next step is to open the joystick calibration windows and start the calibration process, you do this by moving the control you wish to calibrate and then press the set button.

Bob

I'm unfamiliar with the actual operating system for elevator and aileron in the Commanche, but doubt it's a variable-geared assembly in either case. This means that deflection rate of the control surface will remain at a fixed ratio proportionate to the control device. Or Full = Full, if you want to compare total travel.

Based on the above I decided to check the relationship between the movement of my Saitek yoke and the control surfaces on the default C172. I've observed that the aileron and elevator control surfaces (outside view) reached full deflection before the yoke did (perhaps the last 10% of yoke travel had no effect). I tried a few different default FSX a/c with the same results.

BUT, when I tried the same thing with the A2A Cherokee and the PMDG 737NXG, the extremes of yoke travel lined up very closely with the extremes of control surface travel.

I run all my controls through FSUIPC4 and have the slope (curve settings) at 0 (linear). FSUIPC shows the calibration values for both axes go from -16384 to +16384 for all a/c. What are the consequences of this situation as far as the default a/c are concerned, and is there anyhthing I can or should do about it?

Thx,

Al

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quote. Again.

I would think of the visual effects for the control surfaces as eye candy and not attempt any calibration based on what you see there.