Sign in to follow this  
gboz

A2A Piper Comanche 250

Also, the trim limit of 19.5 works on this airplane for good elevator trim responsiveness.

Bert, but doesn't this drastically limit the amount of available trim you have in the plane?

You're not trimming it properly Rob, that's what appears to me to be happening, hence the constant elevator inputs.

Settle for  given speed at around 500' AGL, let it be 95MPH, and trim so that you don't have to exert back pressure on the yoke. From there on control your rate of descent with subtle throttle inputs, throttling up if you're sinking too fast, throttling down a bit if your floating / having a less than wanted rate of descent...  Near the ground - negate it as far as you can while reducing power to idle...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

The changes I made for the Skylane negatively impact the Realair Turbine Duke...making control inputs extremely twitchy, and not realistic

Ryan...you can use FSUIPC to control the elevator axis ONLY for the Comanche if you like. Then for every other plane FSX will control it as you normally do.

ttocs Scott, the A2A Scott just pointed out that the sensitivity slider is not a Curve, but a delay. So while it appears that the default non-curved calibration that you get with an FSUIPC assignment will work for the Comanche, doing the elev/rudder/aileron for other airplanes via FSUIPC might not give the correct feel for them (To use the DukeV2 as an example, how do you replicate the very specific 1/3 sensitivity slider recommended in the manual using FSUIPC, since it isn't really a curve, but a delay instead? Don't answer, this thread is about the Comanche, so I'm only using that as a rhetorical example). So all I'm saying is that the answer might not be as simple as assigning all of your flight controls with a profile specific calibration in FSUIPC for each plane and being done with it. It seems for certain planes, there is still a requirement to assign in FSX and tweak the sensitivity sliders every time.

****** (I'm sensitive to the fact that the discussion of joystick sensitivity settings is drifting from the topic of the A2A Comanche. Although I think it's an important discussion to have and has a good deal of relevance, I apologize for starting the drift)

tduke v1 doesn't specify axis sensitivity or null zone, just the realism settings.   so handling/feel of the controls intended by the developer of this model didn't specifically depend on the axis sensitivity/null zone setting.  don't ever recall this being an issue.  

sensitivity right/null zone left is pretty much what's needed for linear response and certain models specify this (vrs f/a18, many helicopter models, etc.).  other models i use have no problem with this setting and as long as one has decent and properly calibrated controllers, shouldn't be an issue.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Bert, but doesn't this drastically limit the amount of available trim you have in the plane?

If so, I have not noticed...

Bert

So if I have controllers turned off in FSX and dont use the curve in FSUIPC then that means I have full sensitivity and Zero lag right?

ZORAN

So while it appears that the default non-curved calibration that you get with an FSUIPC assignment will work for the Comanche, doing the elev/rudder/aileron for other airplanes via FSUIPC might not give the correct feel for them (To use the Duke as an example, how do you replicate the very specific 1/3 sensitivity slider recommended in the manual using FSUIPC, since it isn't really a curve, but a delay instead.

I know you said don't answer, but I do think it's relevant to the Comanche discussion...

That said, I think we've had this conversation before (or perhaps someone else asked a similar question), but my answer remains that I can't really answer.  I've used FSUIPC for calibration for almost 3 years so I'm probably the wrong one to ask how to duplicate FSX settings in FSUIPC.  I'm not sure I quite follow Scott's comments about FSX really being a delay.  I've always assumed that sensitivity basically changes resolution - but no matter.  The bottom line is that curves have always worked to give me fine adjustments on some planes.  Basically, it's a question of a bit of trial and error for me.  With a new plane I start with the default of no curve and adjust if I think there's need.

I haven't picked up the Comanche yet, but it'll be interesting to see what things feel like when (not if!) I do.

Scott

Quite an extensive "first impressions" video by Frugglesim.

gb.

Great video I enjoy Froogle's site. He mentions asking EZDok developers to respond to A2A but I read on the EZDok forums that the single developer unfortunately has bad health problems and has had them for a few years. That is why he is not responding to requests.

The elevator trim is a signed WORD at offset x0BC0. For this sort of information you'd need the Programmer's Guide in the
FSUIPC4 SDK. Its range is –16383 (full trim down) to 16383 (full trim up). So, when programming your button/levers:
1. Select the "Offset SWord Increment" control to program the nose up trim.

Where do you do this?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I always force them full right = LINEAR, the deadzone full left = MINIMUM ( unless I cant filter spikes in my controller software ).

Some authors require the sensitivity sliders to be slide back ( to the left ), but PMDG and A2A, and if I recall RealAir too, recommend LINEAR = full right

There is yet another internal feature, described very well in the FSUIPC Manual, that works as a filter, independent of these sliders, and can be "turned off" in FSX.CFG, but I do not recall exactly where now :-/

I carried over the line from fs9, it was Stick_sensitivity_mode=0

Not even sure it works in fsx but I keep it there

Is that what you mean?

Y'know...  Not to sound all contrary or anything, but we ask and even expect top flight developers to stretch the FSX envelope.  When they do, we also need to expect that each developer may require a slightly different base setup to accommodate the methods they've developed to work around FSX limits.  To criticize them for this seems, well, less than reasonable.  Just sayin'.

I know some people get tired of hearing the FSUIPC refrain, but it really does address many of these kinds of issues.  Once you make a profile specific tweak, it's automatic when you jump in a given airplane and it makes these kinds of things complete non-issues.  Yes there's a learning curve, and yes the initial setup can cause some head-scratching as you figure out the UI, but once you've gotten through the initial work, plane specific changes are usually trivial and it's set and forget as stuff will then just work.

Scott (the NOT A2A one :lol:)

I think the whole discussion is important.  We have people saying "A2A planes fly so realistically."  Then we have people like me saying "I have extreme elevator effectiveness when I'm slow."  Now at least I know that the control sensitivities play a huge role.  Still it's difficult for me to understand why different developers require certain settings.  Just another variable to consider now.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I don't have the Comanche but the porpoising thing happens to me on every one of their aircraft.

I took the C182 up for a spin...the memories are coming back.  I found out my aileron calibration was off which explained the left and right.  In terms of elevator, still preliminary, after calibration I set the slope in FSUIPC to 8 otherwise it was really sensitive...way more than I remember.  With that I got the slowly pulling back on the yoke as I'm slowing in the flair, touching down on the mains.   No porpoising.  I should add that my yoke is a CH and, I may be subconsciously pulling on the yoke as if its got the full range of a Cessna yoke which, at the 0 setting, would cause the porpoising.  A Cessna yoke has a much longer 'pull' for full range.  Not an expert at all.  It just seems to work with my memory.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I started accommodating to sensitivity=100 and deadzone=0 in the past few months, and indeed it feels better and more responsive - no delay. I was settled with elevator sensitivity at around 30 all because of A2A planes, and my floty and pretty ugly landings. Before that, I kept all sensitivity axis at 0, maximum at 50, it depends what airplane I'm flying. All the time all knew that these settings are completely off and unrealistic for smaller planes mostly, and because all the planes feels very unresponsive and lazy. But I liked that feel mostly because I flew airliners, and I was pretty sure that a real airlines should feel lazy on yoke input and somewhat unresponsive at low inputs. Then I went to professional B737-8 simulator (used to train/test RW pilots) and when I flew one circle around the airport for the first time, I was, I can freely say, unprepared for how responsive the B737-8 is, and I'm not even started to talk about how different the feel is when there is no delay, no laziness at all. I went back home, fired up FSX and adjusted sensitivities accordingly (100, with no deadzones), and started adapting to something that is much closer to RL.

To be honest, I strongly believe that, if the airplane with these sensitivity settings (100, no deadzone) feels twitchy and unrealistic, then FDE is completely WRONG, all developers fault. I don't care is it RealAir, Carenado or Aerosoft, really, I know that PMDG and A2A have the best FDE out there, and that with max sensitivity the plane feels just right. PMDG 737 feels absolutely perfect! 

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.