Sign in to follow this  
gboz

A2A Piper Comanche 250

Anyone think the flight physics are a little off?  I have a case of pogo nose with moderate winds.  Does it have standard muscle car weight distribution ... aka very front heavy with a dash of mcstrut understeer :)

Otherwise another great A2A aircraft.

Cheers, Rob.

Anyone think the flight physics are a little off? I have a case of pogo nose with moderate winds

Seeing this myself - the nose likes to "hunt around" in any but the calmest conditions, but perhaps that's just the weather my ASN is pumping out today.

At least there is no drop-throttle oversteer when I taxi too fast and have to get off the power  :P

I'm getting the "nose-bounce" thing too.  I have ASN and have also noticed that the downdrafts can be like a large "hand" that shoves the nose down causing the airspeed to increase dramatically until the plane suddenly breaks free of the "hand" and resumes level flight.  This occurs with the A2A 180 and 182 as well.

Something is amiss between A2A and ASN in my opinion.

C.

A few pages back some guys complained that these GA aircraft feel slow. Well I just started flying in real life in a Schweizer 2-33 and 55 MPH feels really fast to me right now! These Pipers are complete speed demons!  :lol:

Anyways, looks like another great A2A aircraft. The Cherokee is a work of art, as so many have said. I hope some of its features get added to their older products again. I'm not done with my PA-28 yet!

Daniel Miller

Phew ... glad I'm not alone ... does it with custom set weather also (in addition to ASN) ... anything over about 12kts it goes from float to sudden drop to float ... if I were to hazard a guess there some issue with the lift/wind speed relating to gusts.

It does bounces well :(

Cheers, Rob.

I just started flying in real life in a Schweizer 2-33 and 55 MPH feels really fast to me right now!

Nice! That is the plane I got my glider pilot license in back at the dawn of time - forgiving and predictable - move to the 1-26 if you are able to solo or have your ticket - not exactly a speed demon, but a great step up - feels graceful and lite compared to the 2-33, but it's nearly the same plane really...  

Once you are comfortable there, move to a Blanik L-13 if you can find one, that was the last thing I flew before I had to give it all up - great, great fun that one..

Bouncing with the air instability is something both A2A and Real Air do in such a great way that they're probably the only capable of reproducing these weather effects we all feel so well when flying for real under most circumstances.

Unfortunately most aircraft designers iron those effects / hide them, even when we have ASN pumping them in.... 

I do not have the Comanche, and, as a matter of fact I only use FSX for visuals now, but fortunately the sim I use it with - PSX - also models very plausibly the effects of not so smooth air, even being a 744, so, just as I liked to feel it in the P51d Civil, the C172 and the C182, I guess I would like to feel those effects in this new Comanche too :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Quite an extensive "first impressions" video by Frugglesim.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

My Thoughts

Pros

1.Looks great, inside and out.

2.Easy GTN750 Intergration.

3. Need a lot of trim on final approach (very realistic)

4. Lots of neat little features, like bending props on a gear up landing(read up on that further down)

Cons.

1.The smoke effect at idle is way over done and is nowhere near realistic and kills FPS majorly even in the VC! I need to find a way to get rid of it (I guess delete the effect file from the folder)

2. The 3 position gear switch doesn't work with my Goflight LGT 2 The switch in the cockpit gets stuck in the middle position. I already bent a prop because of that one.

3. It has a major tendency to porpoise on final and the flare.

4.The trim is very slow.

5. The roll rate seems way to high for the amount of aileron input.

6. The engine runs like crap unless you lean on the ground,never done it and never will and I've never had an issue with plugs loading up in real life and never as quickly as they do in game . My thought about leaning on the ground is its a great way to burn up a valve, if you forget to push the mixture back in before takeoff.

Overall it looks great but flies like a boat. I've never flown a Comanche in real life but have quite a bit of time in similar aircraft like the Beechcraft Debonair and the Bellanca Super Viking and this plane doesn't handle anything like those(yes they will porpoise but not as easily as this plane will even with the Elevator weight set at 75). The Viking has one of the fastest roll rates in general avation but the Comanche is like an Extra 300. With the Cherokee (Learned to fly in one) they had it spot on and I'm sure they have this plane spot on too,but I can assure you if the real thing flies like this I'm not getting anywhere near a Comanche.

I've seen 707s that smoke less

2015_6_20_1_18_49_714.jpg2015_6_20_1_42_58_60.jpg

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Considering all the videos dont show teh smoke as bad as your id assume it is an install issue.

Haven't seen any of that smoking. Probably need a trip to the maintenance hangar as you've borked something. You DO need to lean on the ground, so that's something to learn as that's what happens IRL. It's a 1950's aircraft with a 1940's engine so you need to be ready to change habits. Magnetos ? How terribly passé darling !  :rolleyes:

Enjoying coming to terms with this aircraft, but am I alone in thinking that it's a bit `samey` ? I think the Accu-Sim buzz needs a bit of a tweak in the GUI department and each new aircraft should carry over ALL the accusimming from previous models. There's no ground-adjustable rudder trim, no adjustment in performance for fuel types and given the aircraft is more than capable of flying at altitude, no supplemental oxygen for persistent flights at or above FL140. These are all elements that have been used many times in earlier models, so why are we missing them here ?

My Thoughts

You should probably reinstall. My copy isn't exhibiting the issues you have.

I think someone raised an excess smoke issue over in their forums.

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quote.