Sign in to follow this  
gboz

A2A Piper Comanche 250

Well, I didn't really have much left in the way of adjustment either Right or Left for these items, but cranking in (or out), that last 10% or so has indeed made a massive difference for my flying with the 250 - I haven't gone back and tried the 182 yet, but hopefully the results will be similar - there is apparently something in the A2A flight control modeling that is way more sensitive (pun intended), to these settings than all the other aircraft I have used (at least for my all Saitek setup) - but hey, this is great to know, so now I can go back to flying instead of "adapting" :P

Keep in mind, we spent two full days at FlightSimCon watching (and studying) lines of customers flying and landing the Comanche, and as an owner and operator of the airplane, I continued to see the exact same behavior seen in the real plane when people land. 

I usually idle my Viking around 1100. As for trim on final the Comanche needs massive amounts, I'm used to this because once you drop the gear and flaps in the Viking you better be trimming or you'll be in for a workout and in the flare I usually have my finger running the electric trim so it doesn't get heavy. Yal should make a Viking next. Oh by the way I'll be happy to send a video of the issue if you'd like.

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quote. Again.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I wonder how much this new epiphany over the sliders is going to F up the control feel for all the rest of your non A2A airplanes? My desktop is configured with a Warthog joystick to fly planes and helis in DCS right now, but when I get back to using FSX with a Saitek yoke, I'm actually a little worried about what effect this will have on my flying, and how it affects the intended feel of any given developer's creations. As Scott -A2A said earlier, who would ever want a "delay" built in? Well not, me, but as we can see, every developer seems to have crafted the feel of their airplanes around different assumptions. Hopefully, this won't negatively affect most airplanes, at least I'm hoping.

As for trim on final the Comanche needs massive amounts

On the real Comanche (and the sim), with flaps and gear full down, me (180lbs) and about 50 lbs in the baggage, just after turning final I trim for 100ias with roughly 15" power and about a 6-700fpm descent.  Then as some point, before short final as I slow, I give one more pull of the trim.  This gives just the right amount of elevator authority for landing.  After landing, the trim in both the real Comanche (and the sim) is around 1.5 notches back, nothing massive.  

The 1965 Cherokee we modeled, both in real life and Accu-Sim needs massive amounts, meaning 80-100%.  You can run out of elevator on an old Cherokee.  The Comanche, is about 50% back.

Scott.

Well, I didn't really have much left in the way of adjustment either Right or Left for these items, but cranking in (or out), that last 10% or so has indeed made a massive difference for my flying with the 250 - I haven't gone back and tried the 182 yet, but hopefully the results will be similar - there is apparently something in the A2A flight control modeling that is way more sensitive (pun intended), to these settings than all the other aircraft I have used (at least for my all Saitek setup) - but hey, this is great to know, so now I can go back to flying instead of "adapting" :P

I changed my sens to max and null to min and that helped a lot...  

Which is good but bad because other addons were fine with what I had.  In hindsight I wish those sliders wouldn't have been an option...  so all devs could design their fde based on one input curve/line.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The 1960 Comanche that I flew, a good approach was about 85mph on final, full flaps and full nose up trim.  The approach always seemed high at first, at least compared to other airplanes, but the Comanche will sink pretty well without power.   Once the runway is 'made' reduce power but not all the way to idle, level into flare,let plane settle on to ground. 

Cheers

TJ

Which is good but bad because other addons were fine with what I had

You may be pleasantly surprised to find out all of our aircraft fly better without that lousy delay between you and your airplane.

Scott.

You may be pleasantly surprised to find out all of our aircraft fly better without that lousy delay between you and your airplane.

Scott.

I don't doubt that...  but I fly a lot of other addons as well.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ryan, I meant all of your planes, not just A2A.  I am very curious to hear what you think of your other addons without this delay.  Scott.

Do you really need to use FSUIPC for your controls ?

Yes, unless you really really enjoy reconfiguring your controls every time you load up a different Aircraft.

Yes, unless you really really enjoy reconfiguring your controls every time you load up a different Aircraft.

Apparently this is what I'm running into

The changes I made for the Skylane negatively impact the Realair Turbine Duke...making control inputs extremely twitchy, and not realistic.  Not that I've ever flown a Royal Duke... but the twitchiness is almost like a stutter.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I totally agree Ryan with your earlier point about needing a level of standardization: the next time all the various developers get together for their secret meeting in the smoke-filled room, they should agree on a standard full right slider setting, and full right realism sliders, and henceforth develop their flight models accordingly!

Y'know...  Not to sound all contrary or anything, but we ask and even expect top flight developers to stretch the FSX envelope.  When they do, we also need to expect that each developer may require a slightly different base setup to accommodate the methods they've developed to work around FSX limits.  To criticize them for this seems, well, less than reasonable.  Just sayin'.

I know some people get tired of hearing the FSUIPC refrain, but it really does address many of these kinds of issues.  Once you make a profile specific tweak, it's automatic when you jump in a given airplane and it makes these kinds of things complete non-issues.  Yes there's a learning curve, and yes the initial setup can cause some head-scratching as you figure out the UI, but once you've gotten through the initial work, plane specific changes are usually trivial and it's set and forget as stuff will then just work.

Scott (the NOT A2A one :lol:)

Another failed attempt ... I'll keep trying:

Manual indicates 90-95 mph approach, but I didn't have full prop ... but as I understand it, that's just prep for go around.

What speed should I be at threshold?  Winds were only 4Kts according to ASN.

Will try engine only input next ...

Cheers, Rob.