Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

RSR: "A year from now [...] the first previews of our upcoming 7_7 project"

XP does take a little tweaking, but I found that when you have done that XP gives you quite a few 'WOW' moments. It is stunning.

While this is not my picture (it's a picture from the thread that I used as a tweaking guide), this is pretty similar to the result that I'm getting. There have been quite a few times where I've looked out of the window of the DC-6 and thought I was looking at a picture of the Blue Ridge mountains from above, and I've seen plenty of them from about 4000-6000 in bug smashers over the past 12 years.

ATR72_94.jpg

Again, not my picture, but I'll try to get a few in the DC-6 when I test the new build tonight.

Kyle Rodgers

XP does take a little tweaking, but I found that when you have done that XP gives you quite a few 'WOW' moments. It is stunning.

While I do have Xplane and enjoy some of the helicopters available and will no doubt adore the PMDG DC6 when it is released for X-Plane there is one thing that puts me off and that's the Xplane community and their attitude when it comes to anyone that uses P3D or FSX. Considering they need those people to come over to use Xplane to make it a more viable platform for Devs like PMDG some of their attitudes make me not want to be part of Xplane.

David Thwaites

Those ground texture look incredible! Is it possible to get a global coverage (or at least europe + the USA) with these kind of textures in X-Plane?

While this is not my picture (it's a picture from the thread that I used as a tweaking guide), this is pretty similar to the result that I'm getting. There have been quite a few times where I've looked out of the window of the DC-6 and thought I was looking at a picture of the Blue Ridge mountains from above, and I've seen plenty of them from about 4000-6000 in bug smashers over the past 12 years.

Again, not my picture, but I'll try to get a few in the DC-6 when I test the new build tonight.

Are using V10.40 , even though it is still a public BETA?

V10.40 has a new extended DSF loader , which increases the surface that terrain mesh is actually loaded , it gives much more depth and combined with those scattering tweaks looks stuning espicially on high altitudes (which was kinda ugly befor V10.40 as you could see the blurred terrain too soon in the distance)

Those ground texture look incredible! Is it possible to get a global coverage (or at least europe + the USA) with these kind of textures in X-Plane?

It looks like in this shot there is a photoreal involved.

You can use G2XPL to create one easily (just a few clicks , then it'll create it for you).

However in terms of default textures , even with HD MESH , some areas have wrong textures.

In the USA with HD MESH it looks actually really neat , however in some regions in central europe (like czech republic , poland etc...) , it doesn't look like anything like real life.

There are some really great regions in this term though even in europe , switzerland for example looks stunning combined with HD MESH.

Nevertheless Xplane needs something to change it's default ground textures according to regions , XHTLabs are working on something that I belive it'll be the game changer in this term:

Gal Cohen

I'm using http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-mesh-scenery-v3/

Not sure what the other guy was using for his shots.

I added UrbanMaxx the other day and noticed that it added a bunch of ground traffic, which looks really cool at night. Took the 6 out towards WV and noticed a police car go zipping down Interstate 81 by Winchester. If anyone here has driven on 81, they'd probably get a laugh out of that. I certainly did.

Kyle Rodgers

there is one thing that puts me off and that's the Xplane community and their attitude when it comes to anyone that uses P3D or FSX. 

Where have you seen this? I've been off and on about getting Xplane for a year or two and have posted over on x-plane.org a few times with questions, and haven't seen any particular 'attitude' against those that use FSX/P3D. In fact, I've seen a lot of people say that they use both Xplane and FSX/P3D.

I just watched a video of X-Plane showing YSSY. It was appalling - absolutely appalling. There wasn't even a Botany Bay bordering the runways - it was all land. I'll stick with FSX.

I just watched a video of X-Plane showing YSSY. It was appalling - absolutely appalling. There wasn't even a Botany Bay bordering the runways - it was all land. I'll stick with FSX.

That must have been an old video. That problem was addressed in an update a while back.

a330_5_zpsospktvgh.png

a330_6_zpsczvcv77a.png

a330_9_zpshy78iu04.png

a330_11_zpszbt6fmgo.png

NAX669.png

While it definitely has its issues, I'm quickly finding myself enjoying what X-Plane has to offer. I spent a little time tweaking the visuals and scenery over the past few days, and I'm really impressed.

That's really nice to hear, Kyle, and even more heartening when it's from an FSX dev. I think everyone who uses X-Plane will be equally elated to hear this. I look forward to more shots of the DC-6 on the Beta Preview thread.

While I do have Xplane and enjoy some of the helicopters available and will no doubt adore the PMDG DC6 when it is released for X-Plane there is one thing that puts me off and that's the Xplane community and their attitude when it comes to anyone that uses P3D or FSX. Considering they need those people to come over to use Xplane to make it a more viable platform for Devs like PMDG some of their attitudes make me not want to be part of Xplane.

That's unfortunate - as far as I've seen, there are several X-Plane users who have migrated from FSX/P3D and use all three simultaneously, and that's what most others say, too. Each have their own benefits and drawbacks. There are also people who run solely X-Plane and use nothing else (like myself), but we usually have nothing against FSX users.

That's probably a video before 10.30 was released, which includes several fixes to DSF tiles (see here: Some Recut DSFs for X-Plane 10.30). It's rather unfair to dismiss X-Plane, which is a very viable simulator platform, just because of one video. I suggest you check out Thomas Rasmussen's channel on YouTube for a more, let's say, visually appealing view of X-Plane.

Knowing Robert's passion for four engined aircraft I would go out on a limb

and guess it could be the 707....just putting it out there!

Mike paterson

I'm using http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-mesh-scenery-v3/

Not sure what the other guy was using for his shots.

I added UrbanMaxx the other day and noticed that it added a bunch of ground traffic, which looks really cool at night. Took the 6 out towards WV and noticed a police car go zipping down Interstate 81 by Winchester. If anyone here has driven on 81, they'd probably get a laugh out of that. I certainly did.

Hello Kyle,

I'm this other guy :)

Thanks for taking my picture as a reference to what is possible with a little x-plane tweaking. These kind of atmospheric effect will probably be integrated into X-plane (I'm working with Ben on this, but I've been slowed down by the passing of a close member of my family).

I can't wait to sit in the cockpit of your upcoming DC-6 (given the hope that a Linux version is actually in the making).

The scenery in the picture is somewhere in Switzerland, over G2xpl orthoscenery downloaded at Simheaven (not available anymore, just create it yourself with G2xpl).

Cheers,

Pascal Lachat

Thanks for taking my picture as a reference to what is possible with a little x-plane tweaking. These kind of atmospheric effect will probably be integrated into X-plane (I'm working with Ben on this, but I've been slowed down by the passing of a close member of my family).

You're welcome. And I'm glad I stumbled upon it. Thanks for the work and posts in that thread. It was really helpful in getting my system set up how I liked it. I flew around the Dolomites yesterday and felt like I was really there. Some of the screenshots look almost like photographs. It's crazy...

The scenery in the picture is somewhere in Switzerland, over G2xpl orthoscenery downloaded at Simheaven (not available anymore, just create it yourself with G2xpl).

I've heard about this a few times now. I'll have to check it out over the weekend!

I can't wait to sit in the cockpit of your upcoming DC-6 (given the hope that a Linux version is actually in the making).

I believe it is.

RSR said this a while back:

PMDG's First Product for use with Laminar Research's XPlane:

The promise of PMDG's entry into the Xplane platform has been dangling out there for a couple of years now- and has recently taken some pretty bold steps toward finally being realized.  Xplane has offered some significant challenges to us in terms of fundamentally changing the way in which we develop products so that we can offer our Xplane products across x32, x64, Windows, iOS and Linux... 

The releases for each OS might be staggered, though. We shall see.

Kyle Rodgers

I believe it is.

The releases for each OS might be staggered, though. We shall see.

Yes, thanks, I've seen that, but it's wise to be careful against any expectation.

I would absolutely undestand a delayed publication for the Linux platform.

Pascal Lachat

It is always funny to watch you guys talking about us in the 3rd person like we aren't in the room.  :-p

(Note: The above comment is not intended to confirm or deny any of the rumors, innuendo, wild-guesses, or just plain old conjecture present in this thread- except for that one guy who guessed correctly, but this thread will not confirm which guy that was...)  :ph34r:

Well... if only one person got it right...

That narrows it down..

:ph34r:

I'm perfectly fine with flying a good old 737NG in my sim but having an option for a fresh one from Everett would be quite nice.

737s are built in Renton, not Everett.

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080