Sign in to follow this  
WayneG

Downscale your textures without quality loss & eliminate ooms

Thanks very much for this info.I used the tool

on the PMDG 777 and after a very long time managed a 6 hour flight with ideal flight, opus,fscaptain and MCE and air hauler running. Before this would always crash the sim very early in the flight. I'm smiling again!

Jay

Your welcome, Glad it's helped :)

I also tried the optimizer in Aerosoft EGLL and EKCH by Flytampa.

Now Flytampa has a low resolution pack 1024 but i had the HD texture pack installed and it did downsize the the textures saving around 100-125 mb or so.

in EGLL only a few files was changed and i could not notice more than 15mb of saving here

Michael Moe

Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't manage to read Fly Tampas EKCH files? Tried the texture optimizer on this airports but it didn't work.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Worked for me.

Also here 

EGLL Aerosoft was a no go here 

Also Flytampa YSSY seems to work

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Worked for me.

Hm, strange. Maybe its because I already have i at 1024k textures, but the program only found files it couldn't read, i.e no MB's were saved.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Can someone show some comparison screenshots from the original to the converted textures? I remember i did this back in FSX and i couldn't really tell the difference in quality , only if i zoom in .

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

Can someone show some comparison screenshots from the original to the converted textures? I remember i did this back in FSX and i couldn't really tell the difference in quality , only if i zoom in .

It will be comparable to what you saw in FSX, not much difference unless you really get close or zoom on to something.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but gave the tool a shot on Taxi2gate KMCO and oh my. Around 700mb was leaned! A lot of 2048 textures were in there. I am not ashamed to point fingers at the developers, but there is only one I am pointing at and that is Taxi2gate. Yes great sceneries but they are quite irresponsible in chucking a huge fish in a small pond so to speak. Wish they were like other developers where you have an option for 1024 textures or a light pack to download or straight of the bat from the installers. 

Cheers

Its not that simple.  Best might be 4096 textures that are mapped to many surfaces and this seems to be the trend. Instead of using many smaller 1024 sheet mapped to a few objects, using one sheet mapped to many is far better.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

@downscc  I downloaded the Ordenador tool as linked by a user somewhere on the previous post. Of course making a backup of the texture folder (in this case Taxi2gate MCO). As @Kuragiman stated with his selection, I went off the bat with that. Just loaded KMCO with the trike. Started with around 2.6gb vas left to play with. So thought, well over the past week I remember recording 700-800mb vas remaining when I loaded the FSL320x, and was thinking it'll be interesting trying to even make it into KMCO. 
Now loaded the 320x, and was quite an eye opener had around 1.3-1.5 vas left to play with. Using Steve's DX10 fixer. A lot of the textures on the taxi2gate MCO stock are 2048 all over. 
In another post based on a comparison of the VHHH imaginesim and Taxi2gate there was somebody who had trouble with oom, can't speculate what his/her settings are. But could this just clearly be Taxi2gate have really pushed their textures to the limit where we the end user are left to bite the bullet? 
This is the only Taxi2gate scenery I own, and have been on the fence for quite a while in getting their version of VHHH and some other destinations, but since this tool helps resizing and downscaling textures, it might just have won me over. As another user on here mentioned, other well known developers have Lite texture options available already. 

I have forgotten all about this since P3DV3 saved me around 600MB of VAS leaving OOM a bit behind.

I prefer P3DV3.3.5 method.

Thanks Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

@bluepanorama scroll down to the Main Files section, then click on Ordenador then proceed to your download. 
As mentioned in a few earlier posts on here, don't go crazy downscaling all your textures and always make a backup, but it does that automatically as well. 

@Michael Moe  p3d definitely seems to be the way forward especially looking at the long term. Just curious though since you're on p3d, how would you think an i5 3570k overclocked at 4+ ghz would perform with p3d? Only main aspect holding me back on p3d is of course the cost of it, then having to repurchase the pmdg aircraft. Eventually will make the switch :)

Hi

Can we use this procedure with DX10 and Steve Fixer?

P.S. How to open tutorial video on first page?

Thanks