WayneG

Downscale your textures without quality loss & eliminate ooms

Hello Guys, I have finally found a tool that works with Prepar3D to minimize the ooms. This tool is called texture optimiser, for the very first time last night i was able to test it and i was shocked. I was able to do a full flight from Boston Logan, to Flytampa Cyyz with everything ticked & no OOM! not to mention this was also in the pmdg 777-300. If you use this tool, i promise there is no visual quality lost. It's also improved the frames somehow.

Wayne George

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi WayneG,

Can i ask you where do you get the texture optimiser from pls? Can i buy it?

Regards

Hi WayneG,

Can i ask you where do you get the texture optimiser from pls? Can i buy it?

Regards

Sure i'll link you to it. It's absolutely free. I'll also link you to the video to help you use it. it's like a small tutorial i guess. VIDEO: http://flightsimcentral.net/p3d-fsx-improve-vas-and-possible-fps/                        Download :     http://http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12801/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D12801&pUp=1

Hi WayneG,

Thank you Sir very much but the link to download is not working.

Regards

Go to CFG and set max texture resolution to 1024.

There you go. You just saved money.

The actual link is here: 

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12801/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D12801&pUp=1

(WayneG you added an extra http in somehow) 

I haven't been able to test as my FS rig is mid reinstall atm. I'd imagine though that selecting max texture resolution will still load large textures and then resample, if large is all that's available? So possibly reducing texture sizes would save some VAS.

Has anyone looked at the sticky at the top of this forum?

Vic

Has anyone looked at the sticky at the top of this forum?

Vic

Apparently not, lol

Not the same thing. That setting just caps the largest texture at 1024 to be rendered in the sim. If the said texture is actually larger than 1024, say 2048 or 4096, then the larger texture maps will still be loaded into memory but not rendered. If you really want to conserve memory, it better to resize the said texture the the max size you will ever want loaded.

Source of this info was Ryan at PMDG.

What money? Its free. And as I saw it does much more than setting p3d.cfg max texture resolution which does not help anyway ...

The actual link is here: 

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12801/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D12801&pUp=1

(WayneG you added an extra http in somehow) 

I haven't been able to test as my FS rig is mid reinstall atm. I'd imagine though that selecting max texture resolution will still load large textures and then resample, if large is all that's available? So possibly reducing texture sizes would save some VAS.

woops lol sorry about that one. 

Wayne George

Be careful of texture converters that run automatically and have not been optimised for use with flight simulator add-ons.

Some of the problems I've seen caused by incorrectly formatted textures include..

- Prop textures lose transparency, so you see a solid disc instead of a prop.

- Textures lose transparency, so you see solid white or black where there should be nothing.

- Textures can end up flipped the wrong way round.

- Textures can be incorrectly compressed resulting in artifacts and pixelated textures.

- Bump maps (the textures that make rivets and panel lines look 3d) can become distorted.

- Reflective models lose their shine..

There is no such thing as a free lunch, especially in flight sim. ymmv.

The only way you can be sure to have the correct downsized textures is to use DXTBmp and your paint program.

Back up your texture folder first ! Go to your planes folder in simobjects and look for the livery you want to change (texture.livery example)  copy/paste it somewhere safe. 

Open the original texture (texture.livery) and chose the texture file you will work. Open it in DXTBmp, send it to  your paint program, re size it (4096 to 2048 or 1024), hit save and re open it in DXTBmp and save it as DXT5. You will see some texture quality loss no matter what program you use.

The textures you will look for in your planes livery folders are the fuse, wings, tail and maybe some interior textures. Depends on how far you want to go. 

You will have to down size all three versions of a texture if you have a newer FSX plane (norm, spec, bump,). and the Alphas for all those as well. So six textures to rework for one each (fuse or tail or wing)

DXTBMP is required if the airport is all BMPs or if you want to look at a BMP file and change it to DDS (remember to FLIP IT if you convert it to DDS!).    Optimize Textures off the Skyrim NEXUS will only scan DDS files and it is VERY good at correctly compressing them and adding Mipmaps if they are missing.    I use it on every single payware airport I buy to eliminate those pesky 2k/4k textures that are not really necessary for practical flight usage.  Great for screen caps and selling their pretty products to the masses though!    It is very safe to use and backups ALL textures it touches so if you DO screw something up you just unpack the backup back into the Texture folder for your airport/airplane and overwrite everything.    Huuuge performance boost and VAS savings to be had if you spend a little bit of time combing your payware products correctly.   I just gave Taxi2Gate's KSEA that I just bought a work over and the final report showed it shaved almost 400 megs of fat off the airport which translates into better FPS and better VAS usage at the airport.

• Upvote 2

Only works for DDS and not BMP.

EDIT!!

After further investigation, I now think its my 16bit bmp's that are the problem...

Maybe it doesn't work with 16bit.

DXTBMP is required if the airport is all BMPs or if you want to look at a BMP file and change it to DDS (remember to FLIP IT if you convert it to DDS!).    Optimize Textures off the Skyrim NEXUS will only scan DDS files and it is VERY good at correctly compressing them and adding Mipmaps if they are missing.    I use it on every single payware airport I buy to eliminate those pesky 2k/4k textures that are not really necessary for practical flight usage.  Great for screen caps and selling their pretty products to the masses though!    It is very safe to use and backups ALL textures it touches so if you DO screw something up you just unpack the backup back into the Texture folder for your airport/airplane and overwrite everything.    Huuuge performance boost and VAS savings to be had if you spend a little bit of time combing your payware products correctly.   I just gave Taxi2Gate's KSEA that I just bought a work over and the final report showed it shaved almost 400 megs of fat off the airport which translates into better FPS and better VAS usage at the airport.

400 megs? Oh my, that's shocking! That practically means that there is 400 megs of extra data that is not mandatory (just eye candy) injecting into the sim that is 32bit, and very prone to crashing near VAS limit. So I can freely say that some developers of payware airports are ruining our experience, literally.

• Upvote 1

used the tool last night on my home airport (freeware) scenery.

after optimizing a couple of textures following the guide stickied here on avsim (which I suggest even the skeptical ones as myself to read thoroughly) in order to better understand the process and get the hang of it, I used the texture optimizer mentioned in this thread to downscale the .dds's from 2048 to 1024.

Besides reducing the texture folder of the addon airport from 500Mb to roughly 150Mb, I noticed greatly reduced stuttering (not placebo) when taxiing and taking off and no visible reduction in IQ.

Provided one does things carefully and gradually (no need to suddenly go optimizing everything immediately), after many doubts I'm becoming convinced that lighter textures can actually make a difference in the sim.

I really suggest to read the guide here in the forums. Key is to leave some textures such as props, fresnel ramps and lightmaps alone. The guide is clear in this regard as well.

It seems to me that the add on scenery makers ought to provide this option with their software.

tony

It seems to me that the add on scenery makers ought to provide this option with their software.

tony

+1    Been saying that forever.    Instead of ramming HD textures up our butts have an option in the installer for 1k or 2k (or 4k for the INSANE airport devs).   Yeah, the installer gets bigger but the anger gets smaller for your end user.

• Upvote 1

it seems to me that add-on scenery makers should be very damn aware of this and release carefully optimized products to begin with, instead of having end-users do the job instead of flying. There is no reason for a wannabe pilot to see every crease in the leather of their seat with the sim struggling to maintain 10 fps.

I think many developers should keep in mind that while everyone likes to take pretty screenshots in FSX, some of us actually enjoy smooth flying just as well.

I'm surprised this is not common knowledge among add-on producers by now and considering the sim is 10 years old.

I also do reckon there are many developers as well which put a lot of effort into optimization.

• Upvote 1

There's clearly a disconnect between the add on scenery developers and their awareness of fsx limitations.

It appears like a classic case of form over substance. On the other hand, by now all of us should know what fsx memory limitations/bugs are and stop buying addons that make fsx more constipated.

tony

It is logical. When you browse the screenshots of any add on airport on your fav flight sim shop site, it is clear that most realistic textures and complex detail will bring your attention. If you can choose between two products of the same airport, I bet you will buy the one that have better textures and more details. I mean that's why most of you abandoned default airports in FSX (I didn't).

Total newbie at this but I downloaded Optimize Textures and ran it with the stock options and  boxes ticked on FSDT's KLAX. The log says it only resized three files, and left the biggest ones alone.  Does this sound right?