Sign in to follow this  
OneWhoKnocks53

Skylake "inverse hyperthreading"

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Although FSX and P3D are multithreaded, they still rely heavily on a single thread. How this kind of chip would work with these programs is up in the air until we see some real benchmarks. My guess is it will see these as multithreaded and there will be no benefit. IMO: No processor can fix flight sim performance except brute processing power and mhz.  

(I'm sure we will see a flurry of threads claiming huge increases with nothing to back it up) 

(I'm sure we will see a flurry of threads claiming huge increases with nothing to back it up)

What?? No way!!

I'm not exactly holding out hope either, but when I saw "single-threaded" it threw up a red flag (green flag?). Still no good skylake benchmarks for simmers then I guess?

I mentioned this in the existing Skylake thread yesterday.  This is actually speculative.  Intel discussed the Skylake architecture in some detail yesterday at IDF '15 for the first time and there was no mention of anything like this.  My initial skepticism has been re-confirmed and my doubts have been renewed.  The bottom line is that Skylake is the fastest chip architecture yet, and there are cases where it is a good deal faster than Haswell, it's desktop predecessor.  

Although FSX and P3D are multithreaded, they still rely heavily on a single thread. How this kind of chip would work with these programs is up in the air until we see some real benchmarks. My guess is it will see these as multithreaded and there will be no benefit. IMO: No processor can fix flight sim performance except brute processing power and mhz.  

I vote this up for statement of the week. :good:

-Jim

My initial skepticism has been re-confirmed and my doubts have been renewed.  The bottom line is that Skylake is the fastest chip architecture yet, and there are cases where it is a good deal faster than Haswell, it's desktop predecessor.

Just saw your post in the other thread, so at best we are only talking about a 25-30% potential gain over a devils canyon, as previously noted elsewhere?

Agreed.  But please, don't shoot the messenger!!  I only saw the article and posted out of interest!

Just saw your post in the other thread, so at best we are only talking about a 25-30% potential gain over a devils canyon, as previously noted elsewhere?

Agreed.  But please, don't shoot the messenger!!  I only saw the article and posted out of interest!

Careful with your quotes.  i didn't make the statements in grey as those were spoken by Slayer.  Thanks.

-Jim

Careful with your quotes.  i didn't make the statements in grey as those were spoken by Slayer.  Thanks.

Sorry, no offense intended.  

This appears to be the case in FSXMark, though we only have one Skylake benchmark so far.  Overall performance gain compared to Haswell is lower, on average, but FSX appears to like Skylake quite a bit.  

Sorry, no offense intended.  

No worries.  A lot of times, people don't even notice where quotes disseminate so you wind up with quotes on quotes.  I get notifications in my inbox and yours came through that you quoted me, but the quote wasn't my own.

-Jim

Has anyone moved from an I7-920 to sky lake ? What is the performance improvement ?

Thanks

Hari

No worries.  A lot of times, people don't even notice where quotes disseminate so you wind up with quotes on quotes.  I get notifications in my inbox and yours came through that you quoted me, but the quote wasn't my own.

Got it, wouldn't be the first time I made that mistake!

Has anyone moved from an I7-920 to sky lake ? What is the performance improvement ?

You are talking about a multi-generation leap, I think the performance benefit by making that jump would be quite significant! Sorry I have no data to back that up tho.

Inverse hyperthreating anybody test it out yet to see how it will work in fsx, it sounds a feature to explore more.

I have it on good authority that this is not true.  Skylake does have some nice architectural enhancements compared to Haswell though, and the higher bandwidth available from DDR4 also helps in some cases (FSX/P3D appears to be one of them).