Sign in to follow this  
C525B

Post-SP1 Bug List

Guys, I'm hoping to get this to Carenado ASAP so that they are motivated to respond.  Please contribute!  :smile:

Systems

--Pressurization:  The cabin alt will climb to 8000 feet on every flight, and stay there.  In reality, the pressurization system should shoot for the maximum delta-P and maintain the cabin altitude in proportion.  Once you start to descend, it will bring the cabin down to the LFE (Landing Field Elevation) that you set in the G1000 using the softkey menus.

--ATR: ATR should not be displayed (blank) until you set the "takeoff temp" and choose "ATR ON" via the menu.  If my memory is correct, ATR is only shown in green when the power levers are in the T/O position...green means "armed" and the T/O FADEC setting is what arms it.

--Cold & Dark set-up:  There are very few switches that you actually manipulate on the Phenom on every flight.  Truly, in order to start this airplane from cold and dark, all you have to do is turn the batteries on and then start the engines.  If the switch has an AUTO position, it stays there all the time (fuel pumps, ignition, ADS/AOA heat, generators, ECS mode).  Additionally: ECS SOURCE knob - BOTH, HYD SOVs - OPEN, bleed SOVs - OPEN, ELT - ARMED.

--There are a number of CAS messages (annunciatiors, EICAS, whatever you want to call it) that are directly tied to switch position that are missing (there are more, of course, that relate to actual failures/emergencies, but for the sake of clarity, let's forget those...).  These should be easy to implement:

PRK BRK NOT REL (yellow) - Parking brake is on

ECS 1 (or) 2 OFF (white) -  If the ECS source knob is not set to 1 or 2, you will see the message indicating that the opposite ECS valve is closed.  If the knob is in OFF/VENT, both messages will be displayed.

XBLEED SW OFF (white) - Pneumatic XBLEED switch is not in AUTO.

BATT 1 (or) 2 OFF BUS (yellow) - Will appear if one of your batteries is not turned on.  It's typical to turn off one of the batteries when using battery power for an extended time and GPU is not available, in order to save some juice for the engine start.

SHED BUS OFF (white) - Displayed if battery power is the only power source, or one generator is not operating.

GPU CONNECTED (white) - Should correspond with the white "AVAIL" light inside the GPU button.

OXY LO PRES (yellow) - Displayed if your oxygen bottle is depleted (not simulated) or--most likely--if the oxygen valve lever is not pushed in.

PTRIM NML FAIL (yellow) - Under normal conditions, appears whenever the pitch trim switch is placed to backup.  Most Phenom pilots check the backup pitch trim as a preflight item.

FUEL 1 (or) 2 FEED FAULT (white) - Under normal conditions, displayed if the fuel pump switches are not AUTO or ON.

ADS 1 (2) HTR FAIL / STBY HTR FAIL / SWPS 1 (2) HTR FAIL (yellow) - You get these FIVE indications if the ADS/AOA switch is NOT in AUTO and engines are running.

ADS HTR SW ON (white) - If the ADS/AOA switch is in the ON (manual) position.

SWPS UNTESTED (yellow)  - You get this after engine start if you have not yet performed the STALL PROT (aka "pusher") test during the time since the batteries were turned on.

SWPS ICE SPEED (white) - You get this whenever the WINGSTAB A-I is on...and also...it will stay on until you turn off WINGSTAB and you press the WINGSTAB switch to ICE SPEED RESET (this is a third, spring-loaded position which is labeled but not modeled in the Carenado P300).

Autopilot

--FLC is too aggressive.  It should not reverse a climb or descent in order to capture a speed.  The most it should do is level-off momentarily.

--Selected modes are not being displayed with FD ONLY.  The modes should provide FD guidance whether the AP is on or not.

--PIT should arm ALTS, in addition to the other modes.  The GFC700 always arms ALTS and therefore always seeks to capture a selected altitude unless it's an approach mode.

G1000

-Cursor (the highlighted field) sometimes gets "stuck", and you have to turn the knob many times to get it to scroll to the next line

-GPS OBS not implemented (may be FSX GPS limitation)

PFD

--Pressing the XPDR softkey shouldn't take you directly to the code selection.  There is another menu level before that where you can choose from these: "STBY/ON/ALT    VFR/CODE/IDENT     BACK".  When you Press CODE, that's when it takes you to the 1/2/3/4....etc menu.  At the moment, the transponder is always ON...the "ON" mode of the transponder is always a selection you have to make manually.  It should default to GND if you're on the ground, and it will change to ALT once you get airborne.

--There should be more than 4 speed bugs on TMR/REFS.  There are eight, actually, and you can scroll through them on the TMR/REFS menu.  You should have V1/Vr/V2/Vfs for takeoff,  Vac/Vlc/Vref/Vfs for landing.  Once you pass 2500' AGL after takeoff, any takeoff speeds you've turned on via the menu will be automatically turned off.

MFD

--Weight planning page (it's one of the AUX pages) missing.  It's pretty simple thing...it it's just a gross weight calculator that lets you enter baggage and passenger load and takes your fuel load into effect.

--There are no autopilot mode indications on the MFD.  Instead, the second line from the top, in the middle, is the page title.  It shows, in cyan, things like "MAP - NAVIGATION MAP" or "FPL - ACTIVE FLIGHT PLAN" or "NRST - NEAREST AIRPORTS" etc etc.

--I realize that Carenado is probably not going to do a full FADEC simulation so I'll let that one go...BUT the N1% target shown in cyan above each N1 gauge is just showing %throttle right now.  Maybe just choose a ballpark fixed N1 setting for CRZ/CON/TO/MAX and just leave it like that? It's a bit confusing the way it is now.

--The ECS system menu is "dead"...it doesn't change when you move the ECS source knob or turn the bleeds on/off.

Excellent comprehensive list.  You have included all my "squawks" and much more.  Hope Carenado listens and responds.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

Just read through the list and there's a number of them where I can't tell if you're saying that what you describe is how the real aircraft does or how the Carenado incorrectly handles it.  My suspicion is that the Carenado folks may not understand completely and, history shows, they don't ask many questions so, when you send them the list, make sure you're as clear as you can be.  There are a number of them that I'd be surprised if they fixed.  In terms of visuals and flight dynamics they're beautiful but in terms of systems and fixing their bugs, to quote Melvin Udall,  "Well, maybe I overshot a little, because I was aiming at just enough to keep you from walking out."

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

You're right, Gregg.  There are definitely a few items I should re-phrase.

Submitted to Carenado, and I received a personal response right away saying that they would consider these items.  Who knows what happens next...

--Cold & Dark set-up:  There are very few switches that you actually manipulate on the Phenom on every flight.  Truly, in order to start this airplane from cold and dark, all you have to do is turn the batteries on and then start the engines.  If the switch has an AUTO position, it stays there all the time (fuel pumps, ignition, ADS/AOA heat, generators, ECS mode).  Additionally: ECS SOURCE knob - BOTH, HYD SOVs - OPEN, bleed SOVs - OPEN, ELT - ARMED.

When I was flying a Phenom (100, but basically same systems), we always verified that the ECS was OFF on our cockpit setups. The actual air compressor won't turn on until both generators are online, but the recirc fan turns on as soon as one generator online. The fan turns on at something resembling full blast and is annoying during start, so we always just left it off until we were doing after start flows. 

EDIT: I checked your post history and realized you've also flown a Phenom 100. Did the one you were flying have the 2 or 3 position ECS switch? Some had AUTO and MAN whereas IIRC the Carenado has the 3 position with MAN/AUTO/OFF.

Edited by ExNusquam

Joe Sherrill

When I was flying a Phenom (100, but basically same systems), we always verified that the ECS was OFF on our cockpit setups. The actual air compressor won't turn on until both generators are online, but the recirc fan turns on as soon as one generator online. The fan turns on at something resembling full blast and is annoying during start, so we always just left it off until we were doing after start flows. 

EDIT: I checked your post history and realized you've also flown a Phenom 100. Did the one you were flying have the 2 or 3 position ECS switch? Some had AUTO and MAN whereas IIRC the Carenado has the 3 position with MAN/AUTO/OFF.

Hey Joseph.  We used the same procedure you're describing.  It was an early S/N, so the 3-pos switch.  I definitely changed some things and omitted others for Carenado's benefit, and for simplicity for the average simmer.  Although in this case it's probably better to have that particular switch OFF actually because it makes the cabin blower sound play.  I wrote this post late at night and I corrected that when I emailed Carenado today.

I always thought the logic of that system was pretty funny...i.e. if you leave it on during the start sequence the blowers will turn on between engine starts and you'll get the one-second screaming POOF of air from the vents during the time it takes you the move your hand from the first RUN/STOP knob to the other one.  Did the interior of your Phenom completely fall apart after 2 years?  The headliners in the cabin in ours kept coming un-clipped so that they would sag down on the passengers' heads, and the pins that hold the seats in the floor would come loose all the time.  It was like you had to re-assemble the cabin after every trip.  Also had one in-flight shutdown due to oil leak.  Nice airplane overall though...early S/Ns are always weird.

It was like you had to re-assemble the cabin after every trip.

LOL.  I saw a youtube vid where the side panel next to the pilot's seat was coming loose on its acceptance flight. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Yeah, the logic on the ECS is a bit screwy- especially since the documentation says the ECS isn't powered until both generators are online on the ground. 

I don't have much time in the Phenom at all; I attended a US university that happens to own one and uses it for training/transport. The airplane was about 4 years old when I flew it. The interior had held up fairly well, but the maintenance was all done in house and it generally seemed to hold together. The fasteners did get loose; I took flak for a bit after I landed hard enough to knock the lav bucket access panel off. Overall though I agree with you - good airplane.

Joe Sherrill

Submitted to Carenado, and I received a personal response right away saying that they would consider these items.  Who knows what happens next...

Don't hold your breath. That is their default answer...

Don't hold your breath. That is their default answer...

Hah, yes indeed.  I suppose it was just nice to be acknowledged this time.  In the past, all I received was silence.

A new update v1.2 is available. Go get it.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

A new update v1.2 is available. Go get it.

Ray

Just tried and the download from the Customer page has an XML error.  Hope it gets fixed before I get home.

Just tried and the download from the Customer page has an XML error.  Hope it gets fixed before I get home.

Links are working now.

SP2...hmm...

I wouldn't say anything is "fixed" in the complete sense...they did make some improvements to the AP/FD.  All the vertical modes now work in FD-only, with the exception that ALTS is not displayed until you engage the AP (altitude capture guidance does appear to work in FD-only, though).  We gave them a lot of small things that could have been implemented easily and quickly (missing CAS messages, etc), but they picked a small handful and it appears they bungled those nonetheless.  Time to whip out the XML editor...