Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

I must be doing something wrong

Attach a log.txt file and let some of us look at it.

I've found several things that can kill framerates, and I have a very strong, overclocked system with a GTX980.

First, water settings, as mentioned above, can really pull frames down.

Second, your VRAM load must be below the capacity of your GTX980 (4GB).  If not, it will kill you.  You can see the actual VRAM load by using a free monitor such as GPU-Z.  Don't rely on the Rendering settings numbers as they show texture loads only.

If you have any "bad" custom scenery installed, it can really hang X-Plane up.  That will show up in your log.txt file (found in the base \X-Plane 10 folder.

Some aircraft put a huge load on graphics.  I normally run with textures set at "Extreme" but on a couple of Carenado aircraft (C90 for example), I have to back that down to "High" or I overload my 4GB VRAM card.

If you do a lot of view switching (outside, cockpit, tower) back and forth too quickly, the system sometimes doesn't have time to purge the last graphics load before loading a new one.  I can sometimes force a crash by doing a lot of switching around and not give the computer time to catch up.

Wow, almost need a Titan 12 gig to run this sim then. I did notice in MSI Afterburner that the sim used about 2200 and up of gpu memory and almost maxed out at around 3800 or so one time. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Wow, almost need a Titan 12 gig to run this sim then.

No, not necessary. As mentioned, I have a GTX 860M, with 2GB VRAM (M for mobile - I use X-Plane on a laptop). I barely exceed 1.5 GB VRAM usage, and I get decent frame-rates (except on really cloudy days, when it drops to 20 on the ground). As the website says - the better your specs, the more X-Plane will utilise everything - if you have 2x Xeon processors, X-Plane will use all of that as well since it is fairly multi-threaded. 

As everyone else here has said, please reset X-Plane by deleting your preferences. Load X-Plane up, and attach your Log.txt (found in the root X-Plane folder) so we can help. 

I would but I have it running a bit better and now afraid to change anything in case I make it worse again. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

For your specs, X-Plane should be running at nearly 150 FPS at the lowest settings, and also have no real issue at very high settings as well. There still is something wrong in your setup. 

The whole log file or just part of it?

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Everything. Just attach the whole .txt file to your post (please do not copy and paste) so that we can take a look at it and help you troubleshoot.

Cannot see anyway to attach log file to post.

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Not sure why it does not show it but when in the sim there is scenery.

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

So 5 pages...

Where are you at now?  Sim still slow?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |