Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Option to like a post

Having used Facebook since retiring I do find the like option quite useful. It allows you to agree with a post with a minimum of effort.

I know many years ago there was something similar on AvSim but it was withdrawn after being abused. Quite how I'm not sure.

The only way I can currently agree with a post is to quote the relevant section from it and add my comment. That's relatively time consuming and the additional post will most often, add little to the discussion. But of course if you do wish to add your own comment that would remain an option. Some posters will quote the whole post and then add +1 which is very wasteful.

The agree or like option does exist on other fora so I would hope it's something that would be possible here. I wouldn't agree with a dislike option. Too fraught with danger.

Would it be possible to implement this if AvSim bosses agree?

• Upvote 7

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yes, an excellent suggestion.  I can't tell you how many times I come here and see someone's post I like and instinctively look for the "Like This" button.  Another well known flight sim forum uses this button and it is a nice feature to have.  In fact, the board styles are almost identical between the two so a safe assumption is that this feature could easily be implemented?

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Didn't we have all these kind of things before? If memory serves me right, although it's possible it doesn't, it all went tits up and was abandoned. :unknw:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

It is entirely possible Ron.  Maybe is was before it's time, but as Ray pointed out, many who use Facebook seem to be used to that feature being available, although I don't engage in that particular social media.  A simple +1 feature would even be sufficient.

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Didn't we have all these kind of things before? If memory serves me right, although it's possible it doesn't, it all went tits up and was abandoned. :unknw:

I think the previous facility was for credits to an individual rather than a post. What happened (I think) is it was abused to vote your mates up the ladder of popularity irrespective of what the discussion was.

It's available on the FS Labs forum and to my knowledge doesn't get abused.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I think the previous facility was for credits to an individual rather than a post.

There is a Rating for each topic that allows everyone to vote once. Unfortunately, there is no "counter" to indicate the vote total(s), so for example while I gave this topic "5 Stars", there's no way to know if only 1 person or 4,000 gave it a rating! :Whistle:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I think it was the associated Dislike and other "votes" it had that caused the problems.  Not sure if it was possible only to have "Like".

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Yes, if I remember the problem was the sheer number of arguments or complaints that appeared because people were clicking "dislike" on someone's post without explaining why. It started turning some topics into a school playground

There is a Rating for each topic that allows everyone to vote once. Unfortunately, there is no "counter" to indicate the vote total(s), so for example while I gave this topic "5 Stars", there's no way to know if only 1 person or 4,000 gave it a rating! :Whistle:

I see no reason for that to change but I do take your point about not knowing how the Rating was achieved. To be honest I have hardly used the rating option. You may not rate the original post very highly but may agree with later responses. So whilst I wouldn't rate the topic I might like to agree with a subsequent post.

Thank you for the 5 stars Fr Bill. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It started turning some topics into a school playground

So no change there then? :BigGrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I have officially given this post 5 stars, due to the sheer courage it took, in the face of insurmountable adversity, for Ray to post this. :)

-Jim

I don't like the idea of clicking *dislike* to a post but I do like the idea of a *like* button but only a *like* button.

The late owner of AVSIM got rid of the like/dislike option in posts as there were simply too many complaints.  He tried to change the options to everyone's liking but it never worked out.  We will probably take a look at this again and see if there's any updated options.  I do not recall seeing this being used by other fs sites and perhaps they had issues with it too.  I suspect the CEO and the Board of Directors' will take a look at it when current modification and updates are completed.

Best regards,

• Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I don't like the idea of clicking *dislike* to a post but I do like the idea of a *like* button but only a *like* button.

If you read my original post that was my suggestion. I agree a dislike option would be inflammatory.

Jim,

The FS Labs lads who created Concorde and their A320 have had a like option for ages. It's used appropriately. Unfortunately you won't see the like option unless you have logged in. You could always contact Lefteris Kalamaras for feedback.

http://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/forum/3-concorde-x/

I agree a dislike button would probably cause problems but I don't see the harm in a like one. It could also be designed so you don't see the names of those who have liked the post. Just a count.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather