Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Option to like a post

Having used Facebook since retiring I do find the like option quite useful. It allows you to agree with a post with a minimum of effort.

I know many years ago there was something similar on AvSim but it was withdrawn after being abused. Quite how I'm not sure.

The only way I can currently agree with a post is to quote the relevant section from it and add my comment. That's relatively time consuming and the additional post will most often, add little to the discussion. But of course if you do wish to add your own comment that would remain an option. Some posters will quote the whole post and then add +1 which is very wasteful.

The agree or like option does exist on other fora so I would hope it's something that would be possible here. I wouldn't agree with a dislike option. Too fraught with danger.

Would it be possible to implement this if AvSim bosses agree?

• Upvote 7

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes, an excellent suggestion.  I can't tell you how many times I come here and see someone's post I like and instinctively look for the "Like This" button.  Another well known flight sim forum uses this button and it is a nice feature to have.  In fact, the board styles are almost identical between the two so a safe assumption is that this feature could easily be implemented?

-Jim

Didn't we have all these kind of things before? If memory serves me right, although it's possible it doesn't, it all went tits up and was abandoned. :unknw:

It is entirely possible Ron.  Maybe is was before it's time, but as Ray pointed out, many who use Facebook seem to be used to that feature being available, although I don't engage in that particular social media.  A simple +1 feature would even be sufficient.

-Jim

Didn't we have all these kind of things before? If memory serves me right, although it's possible it doesn't, it all went tits up and was abandoned. :unknw:

I think the previous facility was for credits to an individual rather than a post. What happened (I think) is it was abused to vote your mates up the ladder of popularity irrespective of what the discussion was.

It's available on the FS Labs forum and to my knowledge doesn't get abused.

I think the previous facility was for credits to an individual rather than a post.

There is a Rating for each topic that allows everyone to vote once. Unfortunately, there is no "counter" to indicate the vote total(s), so for example while I gave this topic "5 Stars", there's no way to know if only 1 person or 4,000 gave it a rating! :Whistle:

I think it was the associated Dislike and other "votes" it had that caused the problems.  Not sure if it was possible only to have "Like".

Yes, if I remember the problem was the sheer number of arguments or complaints that appeared because people were clicking "dislike" on someone's post without explaining why. It started turning some topics into a school playground

There is a Rating for each topic that allows everyone to vote once. Unfortunately, there is no "counter" to indicate the vote total(s), so for example while I gave this topic "5 Stars", there's no way to know if only 1 person or 4,000 gave it a rating! :Whistle:

I see no reason for that to change but I do take your point about not knowing how the Rating was achieved. To be honest I have hardly used the rating option. You may not rate the original post very highly but may agree with later responses. So whilst I wouldn't rate the topic I might like to agree with a subsequent post.

Thank you for the 5 stars Fr Bill. :smile:

It started turning some topics into a school playground

So no change there then? :BigGrin:

I have officially given this post 5 stars, due to the sheer courage it took, in the face of insurmountable adversity, for Ray to post this. :)

-Jim

I don't like the idea of clicking *dislike* to a post but I do like the idea of a *like* button but only a *like* button.

The late owner of AVSIM got rid of the like/dislike option in posts as there were simply too many complaints.  He tried to change the options to everyone's liking but it never worked out.  We will probably take a look at this again and see if there's any updated options.  I do not recall seeing this being used by other fs sites and perhaps they had issues with it too.  I suspect the CEO and the Board of Directors' will take a look at it when current modification and updates are completed.

Best regards,

• Upvote 2

I don't like the idea of clicking *dislike* to a post but I do like the idea of a *like* button but only a *like* button.

If you read my original post that was my suggestion. I agree a dislike option would be inflammatory.

Jim,

The FS Labs lads who created Concorde and their A320 have had a like option for ages. It's used appropriately. Unfortunately you won't see the like option unless you have logged in. You could always contact Lefteris Kalamaras for feedback.

http://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/forum/3-concorde-x/

I agree a dislike button would probably cause problems but I don't see the harm in a like one. It could also be designed so you don't see the names of those who have liked the post. Just a count.

If you read my original post that was my suggestion. I agree a dislike option would be inflammatory.

Oh i know,  i'm agreeing with you,    A *like* button would be cool.   

I also gave this thread 5 stars  :smile:

Ray, et al,

I hope my comment regarding the "dislike" didn't come across as negative.  I was just offering why it this function didn't go over so well in the past.

I too think the "like" button is a great idea!!!  Thanks to Ray for bringing it up!

I remember the original like and dislike buttons, and i remember the trouble they caused.

But i would prefer someone using a like button over somebody quoting a post and just adding "+1" or "I agree"

But i would prefer someone using a like button over somebody quoting a post and just adding "+1" or "I agree"

+1   :smile:

You hit the nail on the head 

I hope my comment regarding the "dislike" didn't come across as negative. I was just offering why it this function didn't go over so well in the past.

Not at all Dave. I think we all recognise the dangers of the dislike option.

For those of you who have Facebook accounts I imagine the forthcoming 'dislike' option will cause some problems. Clicking it when someone posts bad news could so easily be misconstrued. I'm avoiding it like the plague.

Nice to see support for this suggestion. :smile:

I don't know anything about Facebook. Do you get a 'Like' count? Wow! 33,000 people liked this! If this is what is being proposed... :unsure:  I see it ending in tears. Just a feeling, that's all.

I print off every thread that I read so it would save a lot of parchment (and ink!) to have voting buttons as opposed to the +1 posts.

i have pm'd management about this also few months back;
I’m joining the lines in supporting the Like vote

(i too think the dislike is pointless; if you don’t have something nice to say; then don’t :rolleyes:)

"Likes" and "dislikes" have no bearing on right or wrong, but very often I see a pile of "likes" or "dislikes" attributed to a statement to incorrectly infer rightness or wrongness irrespective of its possibility to mislead some. Needs rethinking. Our dear departed friend Tom, was right to wrong it.