Sign in to follow this  
Cfoley

FSDT KDFW FSX ATC never clears for take off

I have a strange problem with my FSDT KDFW add on airport when I use FSX ATC.  For some reason when I get cleared from the tower to "Taxi position and hold" on the runway after another plane just took off,  I never get clearance for take off once I am on hold on the runway.  There is no heavy traffic and I have my traffic settings at 35%.  I wait up to 30 minutes and never get cleared for take off at KDFW, ever.  This was never a problem before I purchased the add on.  Is there any connection between FSDT and FSX causing this to occur?  It happens every time I try and fly out of KDFW, not any other add on airport.  This seems to only occur if there are other UT II traffic that just took off ahead of me. Usuaully just 1 or 2 aircraft.  If I am the only aircraft at the runway  I get the okay to depart when I request it. 

Cray Foley

So......when you are at the hold short position and you request your takeoff from the tower,  they

never respond back?  I guess after re-reading that Tower gave permission to taxi out

onto the runway but leaves you hanging.  I only remember that scenario in the Missions.

Usually I get full permission for takeoff at the hold short area and no ATC contact until

contacting Departure Control.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I noticed it does it with all the UT II aircraft.  Clearance for take only takes place when the planes on runway disappears off the screen.  Also,  before I reach the runway when I am the next aircraft,  I wait until the plane ahead of me disappears (It also never gets clearance to take off). Only then will I get clearance to take off. 

Cray Foley

Have you checked for any duplicate AFCADS that might be interfereing? I can't think of any other reason for this.

I've been using FSDT KDFW since it was released using a combination of UT2 and WOAI and traffic has always flowed smoothly and have not experienced what you're describing.

Perhaps you should post the issue on the FSDT forum and talk to Umberto about it as long as your certain you don't have any duplicate AFCADS that are interfereing with the scenery.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for the reply.  Where would I search for any duplicate AFCADS?  Actually,  I don't even know what I would be looking for. Anything with the word AFCADS?

Cray Foley

No, nothing with the words AFCADS. Are you running any AI programs like MTX or MTX6, or downloaded any KDFW packages prior to buying KDFW from FSDT? If yes to any of these questions then you more than likely have an AFCAD for KDFW that is interfereing with the one that FSDT KDFW installed. The AFCAD is a file that basically provides invisible lines for the AI to follow, as well as gates, gate assignments, parking direction, runways, etc. If you have more than one installed from 3rd parties, they can cause various problems.

You can download the freeware AFCAD scanner from ScruffyDuck and it will check your FSX folders for duplicates. You can get it from this link-> http://www.scruffyduck.org/simple-airport-scanner/4584282795

Good reminder. I had  it even installed and forgot about it. Thanks.

Cheers,

(Only two sceneries)

No, nothing with the words AFCADS. Are you running any AI programs like MTX or MTX6, or downloaded any KDFW packages prior to buying KDFW from FSDT? If yes to any of these questions then you more than likely have an AFCAD for KDFW that is interfereing with the one that FSDT KDFW installed. The AFCAD is a file that basically provides invisible lines for the AI to follow, as well as gates, gate assignments, parking direction, runways, etc. If you have more than one installed from 3rd parties, they can cause various problems.

You can download the freeware AFCAD scanner from ScruffyDuck and it will check your FSX folders for duplicates. You can get it from this link-> http://www.scruffyduck.org/simple-airport-scanner/4584282795

I don't have any programs like MTX or MTX6 (whatever those are)  and, no,  I never downloaded any KDFW packages prior to buying KDFW from FSDT. 

The one thing I do though, even though it ruins the realism of having other traffic, is go to FSX realism settings and select "Ignore crashes and damage" and the aircraft ahead of me will disapear when it gets back to the airport and I can taxi to the runway and get clearance.  I hate it, but it is the only way.

Cray Foley

I don't have any programs like MTX or MTX6 (whatever those are) and, no, I never downloaded any KDFW packages prior to buying KDFW from FSDT.

The one thing I do though, even though it ruins the realism of having other traffic, is go to FSX realism settings and select "Ignore crashes and damage" and the aircraft ahead of me will disapear when it gets back to the airport and I can taxi to the runway and get clearance. I hate it, but it is the only way.

I figured you got it fixed since you hadn't responded in almost a mo th.

MTX or MTX6 are AI traffic programs that install their own AFCADS to FSX to provide enough parking spaces for all the traffic.

Have you downloaded from the link I provided and scanned for duplicate AFCADS just to be safe?

I'm not sure what you are saying in the statement below, especially the part about the "traffic ahead of me will disappear when it gets back to the airport"?

"go to FSX realism settings and select "Ignore crashes and damage" and the aircraft ahead of me will disapear when it gets back to the airport and I can taxi to the runway and get clearance. I hate it, but it is the only way."

There is nothing wrong with have the Ignore crashes and damage turned on, in fact it's recommended as a safety precaution to have it turned on due to some airports have spots that accidentally trigger it and ruin your flight. That function will have no effect on traffic movement also.

One other thing that I can think of that is causing you not to get take off clearance when holding I'd that you might not be moving far enough forward to trigger the ATC communication.

It's really hard to help diagnose your issue without being able to see your set up without doing a team viewer session. If you live in the US and our timing is in sync I would be willing to do a TeamViewer session with you to have a look. As I mentioned above in my first post, I have this airport since it was released and have never experienced any issues like you describe and haven't seen anyone else mention the same problem here as your describing.

I figured you got it fixed since you hadn't responded in almost a mo th.

MTX or MTX6 are AI traffic programs that install their own AFCADS to FSX to provide enough parking spaces for all the traffic.

Have you downloaded from the link I provided and scanned for duplicate AFCADS just to be safe?

I'm not sure what you are saying in the statement below, especially the part about the "traffic ahead of me will disappear when it gets back to the airport"?

"go to FSX realism settings and select "Ignore crashes and damage" and the aircraft ahead of me will disapear when it gets back to the airport and I can taxi to the runway and get clearance. I hate it, but it is the only way."

There is nothing wrong with have the Ignore crashes and damage turned on, in fact it's recommended as a safety precaution to have it turned on due to some airports have spots that accidentally trigger it and ruin your flight. That function will have no effect on traffic movement also.

One other thing that I can think of that is causing you not to get take off clearance when holding I'd that you might not be moving far enough forward to trigger the ATC communication.

It's really hard to help diagnose your issue without being able to see your set up without doing a team viewer session. If you live in the US and our timing is in sync I would be willing to do a TeamViewer session with you to have a look. As I mentioned above in my first post, I have this airport since it was released and have never experienced any issues like you describe and haven't seen anyone else mention the same problem here as your describing.

I have not responded in a while because I have not used FSX for almost a month and have not checked VASIM also during that time.  I usually will get an email from VASIM I got a reply, but it has not happened this month.   I always use the "ingore crashes and damage" and set it when I am at the boarding gate each time.  What I meant regarding when I select it while approaching the runway is when there may be 1, 2 or 3 planes ahead of me, and they will not get clearance at all either and we just sit there until they time out in FSX and disappear off the screen.  This may take up to 10 minutes or so for each plane until they time out.  So in order for them to disappear sooner,   I select the FSX "Ignore crashes and damage" again and it clears them off the screen and I can approach the runway and get clearance.  I do go right up to the threshold line, but if there is a plane waiting to take off on the runway already, that plane will not get clearance at all, until it times out on FSX after a while and disappears, then ATC will come on and give me clearance.   That is the only fix.  I don't like it because I prefer to have traffic ahead of me for the realism, but not when ATC is not working, and I have to clear them off the screen.   I have not used Scruffy Duck yet.  I need to look into it.

Cray Foley

I have not responded in a while because I have not used FSX for almost a month and have not checked VASIM also during that time. I usually will get an email from VASIM I got a reply, but it has not happened this month.

AVSIM or VATSIM? Assuming you meant Avsim when you said VASIM, then yes, you are supposed to receive an email when someone quotes you in a response, however if someone doesn't quote you then I don't think an email is generated.

I always use the "ingore crashes and damage" and set it when I am at the boarding gate each time. What I meant regarding when I select it while approaching the runway is when there may be 1, 2 or 3 planes ahead of me, and they will not get clearance at all either and we just sit there until they time out in FSX and disappear off the screen. This may take up to 10 minutes or so for each plane until they time out.

The Ignore crashes and damages should just remain always set to on to avoid any scenery conflicts that can cause an accidental crash. No need to toggle it on and off continuously. It really doesn't add to immersion because you will know when you've screwed up and crashed, you don't need the sim to tell you.

So in order for them to disappear sooner, I select the FSX "Ignore crashes and damage" again and it clears them off the screen and I can approach the runway and get clearance. I do go right up to the threshold line, but if there is a plane waiting to take off on the runway already, that plane will not get clearance at all, until it times out on FSX after a while and disappears, then ATC will come on and give me clearance. That is the only fix. I don't like it because I prefer to have traffic ahead of me for the realism, but not when ATC is not working, and I have to clear them off the screen. I have not used Scruffy Duck yet. I need to look into it.

Just so you know, the reason that the AI appear and disappear when you toggle crash detection on and off is because UT2 will unload and then reload the traffic when you make changes in the FSX settings menu, but it doesn't have anything to do with that actual option being turned on and off.

Rather than doing that, you can use the predefined UT2 key strokes to turn on or off the traffic or reset it by using the drop down UT2 menu and the top of the FSX screen that is accessible when you hit the Alt key and display thr menu bar at the top of the screen. On the menu bar on the far right under Addons you will see the UT2 section that you can expand to see the options and key strokes so that you don't have to keep going into the FSX menu as a work around to clear traffic.

Having said that, I still think that you have something going on with a duplicate AFCAD and unless you run the AFCAD checker or manually search for one you'll probably not be able to fix the issue. I know that some of this stuff is probably confusing for you as I read your post I the PMDG 777 forum about your difficulties using the ILS. As I mentioned in my last post, I could do a TeamViewer session with you so that I can see your computer and help fix the issue, or you could PM Umberto at the FSDT forum and have him do a TeamViewer session with you. By themselves, there is no reason that THE FSDT KDFW and UT2 should be causing the problem.

I know you said you would look into using the ScruffyDuck program, but without using it, it will be hard to track down another AFCAD if you don't really know what you're looking for. Report back if you want help using it.

I am discovering FSDT KDFW has several problems, not just the traffic clearance.  I have problems when I use the PMDG 777 at this airport as well, which I will not bother to go into detail because it is too lengthy and a bit complex to explain. It appears new problems keep cropping up.   Also, Scruffy Duck does not work, or I am not doing something right to get it to work.  To make things simpler,  I will simply remove FSDT KDFW from FSX.  Not disable, but completely remove it from FSX.  I did that with ImagineSim KSJC airport because of problems with it.   Hopefully that will fix everything.  While the FSDT KDFW scenery is great, I can get by without the airport eye candy if it means everything working right again.  Sorry to waste your time with this. 

Thank you for your time in trying to get this resolved for me.

Cray Foley

I am discovering FSDT KDFW has several problems, not just the traffic clearance. I have problems when I use the PMDG 777 at this airport as well, which I will not bother to go into detail because it is too lengthy and a bit complex to explain. It appears new problems keep cropping up. Also, Scruffy Duck does not work, or I am not doing something right to get it to work. To make things simpler, I will simply remove FSDT KDFW from FSX. Not disable, but completely remove it from FSX. I did that with ImagineSim KSJC airport because of problems with it. Hopefully that will fix everything. While the FSDT KDFW scenery is great, I can get by without the airport eye candy if it means everything working right again. Sorry to waste your time with this.

Thank you for your time in trying to get this resolved for me.

The ScruffyDuck software does work as does the FSDT KDFW, but as you said, your limited amount of knowledge or time to learn is inhibiting your ability to fix these issues.

I offered to do a TeamViewer session with you and you could always request a TeamViewer session from Umberto at FSDT which he has been known to do when people struggle with getting their prodcuts to work properly.

To be frank with you, after seeing the screen shot of your other issue in the other thread you started, you might have deeper issues with your FSX install, operating system/video card drivers, possible cfg tweaks or any combinations of these.

As a last resort you could always do a fresh FSX install and use a setup guide like the very comprehensive one the Nick Needham has put out that guides you through the operating system setup, video drivers setup and FSX setup. The only thing is that I'm not sure you would be able to follow the instructions of the guide due to the complexity of it.

I'm not sure what else to offer, but a TeamViewer session with either myself or Umberto FSDT would be a good start, that way we could actually view your computer and see what the heck you have going on in it.

Have taken a number of FSX flights out of FSDT DFW and not encountered that issue. Obviously there are a multitude of others using the same combination without reports of that issue. In my experience with MSFS versions, when ATC fails to continue its sequence it is usually because your aircraft is not where the software expects it to be to get the continued sequence, or there is a mismatch in understanding on your specific location between the software combination that is in play.  

I for one would start by uninstalling FSDT DFW completely, and reinstalling. I say that because I have in the past loaded FSDT airports only to find skeletons of airport facilities, or lack of key structures. That has always been curable by either uninstalling/reinstalling, or by repeating registration in the Couatl FSX add-on, which you should find under the Addon heading on the FSX menu bar. Hope one of those will cure the ills.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I uninstalled FSDT DFW and reinstalled, but it did not help.  The aircraft still sit there without ATC clearance.

Cray Foley