Sign in to follow this  

I must be losing my mind... Help...

The FSX code(p3d) is still CPU limited. I picked up amazing performance gains in GTA V when I moved from the 980 to the 980ti but got nothing in FS

Maybe I should keep the card, ditch flightsimming (refund 200 dollar for P3D v 3) and start playing GTA V... ;) Or go back to P3D 2.5 (still refund v3)... You start thinking the weirdest things LOL What a shame this GPU makes a huge differences in all kind of games... but not in P3D. Or I could keep the card and enjoy great AA and GTA V... Oh boy, now I am REALLY losing my mind... ;)

Wow. That's disappointing. I also thought about moving from a 780 to a 980ti. However, I run a triple monitor setup with NVIDIA surround at 5910x1080. Maybe the 980ti helps there as I currently loose 10-15 fps when going from single monitor to the surround view. Does anyone have experiences with this setup and a 980ti?

@Jeroen: Thanks for testing and sharing your results!

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Have you measured your GPU load?  (You can use GPU-Z to do it among other tools). If your old card showed a GPU load of less than 100% in your scenarios, then a more powerful video card wouldn't boost up your FPS significantly. Is your observation with the default scenery, or with an add-on?

Maybe I should keep the card, ditch flightsimming (refund 200 dollar for P3D v 3) and start playing GTA V... ;) Or go back to P3D 2.5 (still refund v3)... You start thinking the weirdest things LOL What a shame this GPU makes a huge differences in all kind of games... but not in P3D. Or I could keep the card and enjoy great AA and GTA V... Oh boy, now I am REALLY losing my mind... ;)

Well Jeroen that's why I settled at my GTX 770 :-) Since i'm at 1920 * 1080....

Cheers,

André

J van E, 2 (possibly dumb) questions; Did you uninstall the old drivers before installing the new GPU?  After installing the new GPU, did you delete the shader cache before running P3D v3? I reread your first paragraph, s-o-r-r-y! :unknw::fool:

Cheers, Craig

ps, Try a reboot of your pc after installing the new drivers.

1080 resolution doesn't really show what a newer generation GPU can do ... compare your old GPU at 4K res with the 980Ti at 4K res and I think you'll find the difference VERY significant.  If you look at the many GPU tests from various GPU hardware sites, you'll notice that as the resolution increases so does the difference in performance between the higher end GPUs.

So your tip ... increase your resolution and then test again.

I find SLI in P3D V3.0 is only a benefit for SGSS AA at 4K res and during fog, smoke, particle based effects.

Cheers, Rob.

The answer is quite simple in my opinion, and tests... (I see many answers before mine, but here is mine too):

If your 780 neither maxes with VRAM nor is running at 100%, then a new GPU won't bring any improvement - because you are CPU limited. When 780 becomes limited (your SGSS test), then 980 will show its power.

This thread is also a reminder to me that FPS comes from CPU power.

Rob made a  video in EKCH in 2.5 showing the horsepower of his system (he might make a 3.0 video as well) .

Last time his performance was about 50% better than my system and it must be down to raw CPU power regarding fps

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Did you monitor your card with something like GPU-Z to see the load of the GPU? The load of the CPU would also be of interest at the same time. I use Real-Temp for this.

I think your CPU can be a bit OC. Is the GPU already OC?

Spirit

Thanks for the replies, all.

Yes, it's clear that I would see a benefit at higher resolutions. However, that wouldn't give me any gain right now, apart from things looking less jaggied. I like certain settings and I would love to use those settings with a higher performance but that, so we can conclude, won't happen. I suppose those who noticed a huge improvement after going from a 780 to a 980 Ti already were using higher resolutions or higher AA settings. I am sure I can create a HUGE difference between both cards (well, I already did with that foggy test and 4xSGAA) but that's not my goal: my goal is better performance with my current settings.

It's also clear that the CPU is holding things back. However, my i7-4790K is still pretty high-end (imho) and I don't think I would gain a LOT by getting a new motherboard and CPU. At this moment in time CPU's simply aren't fast enough to give us 'everything'.

Obviously the card does give a huge improvement in games like GTA V: I've seen benchmarks using a i7-4790 like mine and the 780 plus 980 Ti and fps sometimes doubled. But this is P3D and that's another story.

Still... after giving it some more thought I decided to not immediately return the card. That better looking AA is very nice. And I want to give DSR a try too. And being able to keep on flying with those settings through heavy clouds is nice... I was also thinking about getting Dirt Rally which does benefit from this card (although even with a 780 performance is more than good enough in that game). You also never know what new options LM will add in the (near) future that will benefit from my card...

I've got 14 days to think it over and that's what I plan to do. I think I will reinstall Windows 10 completely and install P3D v3 so I am absolutely sure nothing old is holding things back. I'd also like to know what graphical features of P3D v3 benefit from a GPU like this: are "smoke, particle based effects" the main things? How about shadows...? Other things? I'd like to see what happens if I turn those kind of settings on while leaving the rest as they are.

P.S. I will also use GPU-Z and Real-Temp. I already used GPU-Z but only to see if the specs were okay, not for testing. And my CPU is @ 4.4: couldn't get it much higher without problems and the difference between 4.4 and 4.6 isn't that big, I think? The 980 Ti is the Asus Strix one which is OC'ed by default a LOT already. It came out some 20% faster out of tests online than default 980 Ti's. I ran 3D Mark yesterday on both cards: the 780 reached a score of almost 10.000 while the 980 Ti passed 15.000. Not that those numbers have any use but things DO work as advertised.  :wink:

Sorry to read it did not work how you hoped Jeroen, I to was thinking about a 980Ti but not now as I run same res as you, so am happy to save the money. Will but that towards a new PC in 2 years with a high res monitor.

Am now happy to stick with what I have. 

Cloud AA is not worth that that kind of money.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Sorry to read it did not work how you hoped Jeroen, I to was thinking about a 980Ti but not now as I run same res as you, so am happy to save the money. Will but that towards a new PC in 2 years with a high res monitor.

Glad to be of help.  :wink:

I've not given up on the card though. I am looking for more things to test. One of the things I forgot to test is texture loading: with my 780 I get late loading textures, very obvious near mountains, and I am curious to see if the 980 Ti helpt in that regard.

If anyone has any ideas what other things I could expect an improvement in with this GPU, let me know and I will test it. I don't like swapping cards but for this purpose I will do it once or a few times more. Since I have the card in my house anyway, I might as well test the hell out of it!!!  :wink:

And we can take it as a fact since i tried your settings at FT KSFO and was still behind you in terms of FPS  :wink:  20-25% i think

I am also at 1920x1200 (with 2 x GTX970´s vs yours GTX780)

i might have better shadows ,reflection options and AA but i cant beat your i7-4790K@4,6 at that resolution

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

For those who are interested: the card is back to the shop. Further testing showed no other performance gain than the already mentioned higher AA possibility. I am not paying that much money for that alone.  :Shame On You:

BTW I also had a look at GPU-Z to see what the load was on my 780: it hardly reached 60%, sometimes peaked to 70%, so even the 780 is already waiting for the CPU. No wonder the 980 Ti was boring itself to death.  :wink:

Good choice. I think that for the money that you get back you will be able to buy a ton of add-ons plus a few meals at the restaurant ;)

On a side note: As soon as you add AI traffic, it will put even more load on the CPU (and less on GPU), so that the 980Ti would fall asleep.