Sign in to follow this  
JYW

F1 GTN750 in Orbx Lancair IV-P

Not sure if you saw my message - the link is broken at least for me - says the file was moved or deleted

Apologies - sent you a new one.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Hello JYW,

ORBX released their Lancair with the new installer that includes P3D now. As such, I purchased it, and was hoping to find a mod to implement the GTN 750, and after a search, here you are :smile:

I'm sending you a PM with my email now. Thank you for taking the time to do this. I know it's a lot of work, and it is appreciated.

2ic1x7d.jpg

Hello Bill, pm for P3D retrofit sent.

Much thanks,

Dirk.

Hello JYW,

ORBX released their Lancair with the new installer that includes P3D now. As such, I purchased it, and was hoping to find a mod to implement the GTN 750, and after a search, here you are :smile:

I'm sending you a PM with my email now. Thank you for taking the time to do this. I know it's a lot of work, and it is appreciated.

No problem, reply sent.

Yes, when using FS Panel Studio, it's a 2 minute job to edit a panel for a new gauge in this way, but in the case of the Orbx Lanceair, FS Panel Studio corrupts the [Panel] file, if you open it !!    So anyone that owns FS Panel Studio, I'd strongly advise against opening the Orbx Lancair's panel in it.

So I needed to complete this refit the manual way, with a good old calculator, replacing the dimensions of the original radios with the combined dimensions of the GTN750 (+ the 2 default Com/Nav 2 radios).

When I get some free time, I'll see if I can find a better option for the Com/Nav2 radions (a suitable freeware gauge) and offer a version that uses this instead of the default Com/Nav2.

Bill

Some feedback from this mod....

Yeah would be cool to find a better comm2nav2 - it looks pretty ugly in here.  There's no more ADF - I think when I used the smaller GNS530W stack I was able to fit a ADF under it as well as the AP and comm2nav2.  I don't think there's enough space for that.

The biggest thing I notice is the change between GPS and VLOC won't sync up with the NAV button on the Sandel...  you have to make you sure if you set GPS on the GTN750, that GS1 is active on the Sandel.  Then when you do swap between NAV1 and GS1, the CDI isn't synced on the GTN - so you have to go back and forth a few times on both units to make sure both are in sync.

gtnsync.jpg

Untitled-2_39.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Some feedback from this mod....

Yeah would be cool to find a better comm2nav2 - it looks pretty ugly in here.  There's no more ADF - I think when I used the smaller GNS530W stack I was able to fit a ADF under it as well as the AP and comm2nav2.  I don't think there's enough space for that.

The biggest thing I notice is the change between GPS and VLOC won't sync up with the NAV button on the Sandel...  you have to make you sure if you set GPS on the GTN750, that GS1 is active on the Sandel.  Then when you do swap between NAV1 and GS1, the CDI isn't synced on the GTN - so you have to go back and forth a few times on both units to make sure both are in sync.

The objective at this stage, was simply to get the GTN into the panel - something which is normally straightforward to do, but due to the non-standard [Panel] file in use (which utilizes a real-time model change, to flatten the Orbx default radios), this involved quite a bit of manual work.

So yes, it could certainly be further improved (where the aircraft add-on permits). 

Replacing the ugly default Com/Nav2 is relatively easy.   Just find a suitable gauge (there are plenty of freeware offerings) and ensure that it's dimensions in the panel.cfg, equate to the total dimensions of the default Com2 and Nav2 as being used here.

If you're successful in getting better options for the ADF and GPS/GTN sync on the HSI, do share your work, I'd love to try it.

Bill

As for the sync maybe there's an option in the .ini file - I'll have to dig

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

As for the sync maybe there's an option in the .ini file - I'll have to dig

Yes, I was just thinking that - because I never included a GTN.ini file with the download, so the GTN's settings would be at default.

------------------------------

I've just pulled together a potentially better option for those that own the GTN750 and GTN650 gauges.

The download now includes 2 alterntaive versions;  one exactly as above (GTN750 only) and an option to install the GTN750 and GTN650 into the panel.

I haven't tested this in the sim yet, as I don't own the GTN650!   But I've set the alternative modified panel.cfg up to use it.

If anyone wants to test this version, drop me a PM.  (you must own both the GTN750 and 650 for this version).

Cheers.

Bill

Hi guys! Sorry to bring this up, but has anyone found a solution to add an ADF to it? Bill, sending you a PM. Thanks!

Rafael Henrique Carelli

Hi JYW,

i've just sent you a pm about the Flight1 GTN 650 and 750 Dual gauge configuration. If you could help me it would be

greatly appreciated.

RichardM