Sign in to follow this  
skip d

Landing and taxi lights

Hiya all:

Is there any way to increase the intensity of the lights on the default aircraft ??

I've searched and tried the "Xenon Lights" addon here in the Library,but it still is extremely dark.

Thanks

Skip d

I think part of the problem may reside in how the 3D model handles the lights, that being the case, there is really no fix other than changing the texture.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Maybe a payware product like Shockwave Lights.   http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/shockwavelights/

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Mh,

do you mean the light or the illuminated ground? For the light itself, Shockwave Lights are a very nice visual addon. But they don't change the intensity of the ground illumination. I think, REX Texture Direct or Essential contains some alternative textures to make the ground brighter.

Regards, Matthias

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I solved the problem using the spotlight.bmp from my REX textures.

Skip d

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I solved the problem using the spotlight.bmp from my REX textures.

Skip d

Skip,

How did you do that? I have a fresh system with FSX and have installed REX E+ OD. I have tried both selecting and deselecting the REX landing lights option. I see no difference in ground illumination and a check of my FSX/effects folder always shows a 2006 datestamp on both the spotlight.bmp and halo.bmp files. On my new system I have virtually no ground illumination at night from any aircraft other than the Milviz Cessna 310, which I believe incorporates 3rd party lights.  I am really in the dark! No pun intended!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Ahn,

stupid question, but did you enable "landing lights illuminate ground" in the aicraft settings tab?

Regards, Matthias

Of course! <grin>. That kinda like when I have to look around for my car keys and my wife asks if I looked in the key drawer... LOL.  In addition to making sure the REX landing lights option is not selected, I have gone back and forth from DX9 and DX10.  I've checked the filedate of my spotlight.bmp and halo.bmp files in the FSX/effects folder, etc, etc.  I had reasonable illumination on my old system so it is something specific to this installation...  I read some threads from 2011 referring to a REX fix for a very similar issue but I cannot locate any such fix. Plus I don't know that REX has anything to do with the issue.  Could it be REX runway textures? I have installed a set of REX textures that include runway surfaces, but I do not know how to eliminate them now.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

<p>Got it fixed. Found a 2011 thread on FlightSim with this information:</p>

<p> </p>

<p>".......In REX 2 go to the configuration editor and find theme creation. Find Sun/Lighting, select landing lights. you'll see a forward and backward arrow, click an arrow with your mouse to scroll until you reach RealAir beechcraft. SAVE then find the install button at the bottom, select install and in a few minutes REX will have reinstalled all the theme textures and fixed your airplane and texture files. When you next turn on your aircraft lights you will get what the designer intended......"</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I am using REX E+ OD so the process was a bit different. In REX E+ OD go to the Textures tab. Click on Sun/Lighting. There will be two images on that screen. A larger one to the left and a smaller one to the right. Above the right image click on Landing Lights. Use the arrow keys on the screen and scroll to the right until you reach RealAir's Beech Duke. Click the Select button. That will take you back to the Textures tab. When there click Save.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The RealAir Duke is the only specific aircraft, but selecting it restored my landing and taxi lights to at least my RealAir Turbine Duke v2 and my Milviz Baron B55. Those are the only two I have tried so far, but the landing and taxi lights are back to normal for them, and I expect for all others.  The other REX options for landing lights are all descriptive like Golden, Intense Golden, Xeon, etc.</p>

Frank Patton
ASUS