Sign in to follow this  
Murfman

PFE ATC Plugin now available for X-Plane

Yes, that's right, the same folks who brought you the Radar Contact plugin (FS++) have now released the plugin for PFE. Unfortunately, it, like the one for Radar Contact, is only available for Windows users.

The pdf link explaining the setup is here: http://www.multicrewxp.com/PFEtoXPlane.pdf

You can purchase it here: Links to store removed

I haven't used PFE for a long time, but a really nice feature is that it provides voice files in English with accents based on the region of the world you are flying in. In the US it even provides regional accents.

When used in FSX or FS9 it captures the default ATC for the AI traffic and then spits out it's own voice files based on that traffic. Consequently there is a slight delay of a few seconds, which you would only notice if you were watching the aircraft being talked to by ATC. For instance, you might see a plane start rolling, and then you would hear it receive its take-off clearance. I don't think it would be possible to replicate this in X-Plane, because the plug-in doesn't actually change PFE; it just fools it into thinking it's dealing with FSX.

There is, if memory serves me, a function which I have never used, and that it a collection of ATC files, which probably could be used with X-plane. I don't know how effective these are, since I have never tried them.

PFE will let you fly SIDS and STARS to a degree, but it won't actually name them. There is an editing tool which will allow you to set up a library of your favorite SIDS and STARS, which could be extremely tedious. Most users, I suspect, just tell the interface that they are going to use a SID or STAR, and PFE will give it a generic name, e.g., something like Delta Papa (for departure procedure).

If your STAR is very long, though, you can get into trouble, since PFE doesn't give you clearance to fly it until you're close to your arrival. Some STARS are over 100 NM long. If this were the case you would be better off to incorporate the STAR as part of your filed flight plan. Otherwise you will likely be harped at for being off course. I seem to recall that there is a way to turn off these off-course advisories, though.

PFE has an excellent forum, which I haven't visited in about five years. It's possible that some of these problems have been improved upon.

PFE stands for ProFlight Emulator. The original ProFlight 2000 was released to be used with FS 2000, I believe. The author of the emulator is not permitted, or possibly not able, to make changes to the original program. But he has done amazing things in getting it to work with FSX. If you decide to use this plugin, you will, of course, need to buy the emulator.

Now, with the release of this plugin I may have to give PFE another try!

Good flying to you all,

Tom

Edit: If you follow the purchase link, there is a brief, but not very informative video, but it will give you some idea of what the program does. In the video the user is letting his co-pilot do the talking, but you can turn this off and do your own talking, but you'll have to use key presses to correspond to the information you want to convey to ATC. I don't know if Multi-Crew Experience yet interfaces with PFE, which would enable you to use your headset for speech.

Edited by tonywob
Removed links to store

Too bad it's not available for the Mac,... I would be buying tonight if it was.

I was never able to successfully get PFE working in FSX. Maybe I'll finally get some value.

Does PFE need to be installed into FSX the original way? I remember the installation being a lengthy process.

Thx for the links!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I was never able to successfully get PFE working in FSX. Maybe I'll finally get some value.

Does PFE need to be installed into FSX the original way? I remember the installation being a lengthy process.

DJJOSE,

As I mentioned, it's been several years since I used PFE. I do remember that the install process was a bit daunting, mainly because you had to go through so many upgrades to the origianl installer. It wouldn't surprise me if a new installer were available containing all the upgrades.

I don't think PFE gets installed into the FSX or FS9 folder. Using FSUIPC, it interfaces with whichever simulator is running. In the case of X-Plane XUIPC is used, with the help of the plug-in.

Also, getting PFE to work properly requires a careful reading of the manual. There's a bit of a learning curve, but there is great support on the forum.

Best of luck to you if you try this. Let us know how you fare!

Regards,

Tom

PFE to X-Plane works very well. I don't have FSX installed on my computer but I do Have P3D. I don't think PFE requires an FSX installation. PFE has always been a little quirky and requires  an accurate flight plan. I use either PFPX or Simbrief. It's a welcome addition to X-Plane. 

NAX669.png

I have the DVD version of PFE along with the payware voice add-on & freeware voices. It was a pain to set up properly. Support for this add on was bad. I got it to work in FSX, but it was unreliable. When it worked it was immersive.

I'll request a link for a full installer. Maybe the level of support has improved.

I asked for help and received a response:

The cumulative updates package can be found on our support forum

http://www.ocs-support.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12

I explained that I have the DVD version. You can't apply the patch because the Aerosoft version on DVD is version 1.

The last response I got was:

PFE can be purchased here

Links to store removed

And the additional voice set expansion pack here

Links to store removed

What a joke!

Edited by tonywob
Removed links to the store

Please do not post links to store fronts. Thank you

Sorry. I had no idea.

I will find a way to get PFE working with XP 10 and I will share my results.

I don't know if Multi-Crew Experience yet interfaces with PFE, which would enable you to use your headset for speech.

Currently works in progress.

Should be able to "talk" to PFE controllers, using your voice and proper ATC phraseology, when MCE for X-Plane is updated later this month.

That's great news Gerald.

I just finished a very gratifying flight with PFE & the XP plug-in. What an amazing accomplishment. Thank you.

For those that have the old DVD version of PFE. Make sure that you look for a patch dated 2010. I was fortunate enough to keep a copy and I was able to successfully update to version 2.5.

It was worth the time and investment. Now I have a decent ATC in XP 10.

Jose

Attention all PFEtoXPlane plugin users.

Please login to your Simmarket account, download and install updated package on top of existing installation.

Minor changes only

1 - Changes "PFE not running!" statement to "PFE not connected to X-Plane" as the plugin only considers PFE running AFTER you have selected adventure and clicked <Connect to FS>

2 - Fixed issue with saving manually provided path to PFE installation when the latter is missing in Windows registry

Thank you

Gerald,

I was a beta tester for the original PFE to X-Plane. I already own PF3 if you need testers.

NAX669.png