Sign in to follow this  
kghurley3

Any Comments or Advice

Hi everybody, I have been doing some research regarding computer parts and how to build a computer so I can build my own PC for P3D. I have made a list (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9rgRrH) of the parts that I think would be good in this PC. Due to my lack of computer knowledge and this being my first time building a PC, I am asking for any advice and/or comments to help finalize my list. Any help is appreciated!  :smile:

Thanks!

-Kyle 

Power supply: 650w as a minimum from a quality manufacturer (sea sonic, PC power/cooling, OCZ, Corsair)

Ram: that is ok but I'd get 2400mhz sticks

Video card: the bare minimum I'd get too - a gtx 970 would be better

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Power supply: 650w as a minimum from a quality manufacturer (sea sonic, PC power/cooling, OCZ, Corsair)

Ram: that is ok but I'd get 2400mhz sticks

Video card: the bare minimum I'd get too - a gtx 970 would be better

Thanks Ryan for your quick response I will update my list! 

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

-Kyle

Thanks Ryan for your quick response I will update my list! 

-Kyle

You want an SSD Hard drive - also if you can afford it get a GTX 890TI - you wont regret it

Rich Sennett

Hi Kyle, good choice on the CPU.  I did a great deal of reading and in the end followed the advice of Nick N at simforums, do a search on "The FSX Computer System: The Bible" 

There's a great deal of reading but he provides information on what to look for when buying components for your PC and specific setup instructions.  I'd definitely go with an SSD instead of a mechanical drive as you will not have to defrag and if you will be installing Win 7 x64 Ultimate it will align your SSD automatically.  And do like the manual says, install the sim outside of C:\Program FIles (x86).

Good luck with your build.

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

You want an SSD Hard drive - also if you can afford it get a GTX 890TI - you wont regret it

Hi Kyle, good choice on the CPU.  I did a great deal of reading and in the end followed the advice of Nick N at simforums, do a search on "The FSX Computer System: The Bible" 

There's a great deal of reading but he provides information on what to look for when buying components for your PC and specific setup instructions.  I'd definitely go with an SSD instead of a mechanical drive as you will not have to defrag and if you will be installing Win 7 x64 Ultimate it will align your SSD automatically.  And do like the manual says, install the sim outside of C:\Program FIles (x86).

Good luck with your build.

Robert

Thank you all for your feedback! Robert, I will take a look at the source you mentioned. And Rich, I will look into the SSD. I have heard that having both HDD and a SSD is recommended, would you guys also recommend having 2 storage drives?

-Kyle

Thank you all for your feedback! Robert, I will take a look at the source you mentioned. And Rich, I will look into the SSD. I have heard that having both HDD and a SSD is recommended, would you guys also recommend having 2 storage drives?

-Kyle

OS & sim on ssd

Storage hard drives doesnt matter - but I use ssd for that also

Rich Sennett

OS & sim on ssd

Sounds good!

-Kyle

Sounds good!

-Kyle

Happy Holidays to You also  :wink: 

Rich Sennett

Will you be using the stock CPU cooler? I've gone with a NH-D15 and I think I maybe a bit overkill but it looks awesome lol. I've gone for an SSD for OS and FSX and also a WD blue 1TB HDD for everything else. Also my first build :). Happy holidays

Alaister Kay

OS & sim on ssd

Yes, great idea!  I keep all my downloads like aircraft addon installer packages and programs that don't interact during sim flying like REX and ActiveSky2012 on a separate SSD.

\Robert Hamlich/

Yes, great idea!  I keep all my downloads like aircraft addon installer packages and programs that don't interact during sim flying like REX and ActiveSky2012 on a separate SSD.

Ok so I will use a SSD for my OS and sim. I have another question, do you guys think it is worth the extra money for the i7 4970k or just the 4970? I am not sure if it would be worth it to spend $40 extra to be able to overclock. Do you think the 4790 would be enough to run p3d smoothly or should I get the 4790k?

-Kyle

Oh dude, get the K version. Even if you don't overclock now, it allows you to do so later (Which I highly recommend). If you cant afford a Corsair H80i or H100 / Noctua air cooler now, then its something you can add later and Overclock that beast of a cpu. 

You still want as fast a CPU as you can manage with P3D and FSX. Its free power when you think about it. 

Ok so I will use a SSD for my OS and sim. I have another question, do you guys think it is worth the extra money for the i7 4970k or just the 4970? I am not sure if it would be worth it to spend $40 extra to be able to overclock. Do you think the 4790 would be enough to run p3d smoothly or should I get the 4790k?

-Kyle

K version with out a doubt - you need to overclock and it has to be a K - I have one and luv this cpu well at least for now

Rich Sennett