Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

VSYNC P3D V3

Hey Mike-

I certain understand your POV. After all is said and done, here's my explanation sans frames, delay, buffers, Hz, SLI, and on and on.

There's two different things going on that actually have been mentioned from time to time.

Smooth and fluid.

Turn everything off, set frame rate to 60 (if your monitor refresh equals that) take off with whatever you like and pan around the AC at ~3000 feet. If your frame rate matches your refresh rate, what you'll see is fluidity.

Now, anything else, ie: frames locked at 30, VSync on/off, etc. can range from very smooth (my box is a Haswell @ 4.4 + Titan Black and my flight experience is very smooth, but not fluid) to some variation where the folks down at 20fps say it's very smooth.

What it's going to take to turn these two into twins is anybody's guess.

I'm very happy with what I've got and am sticking with it.

Cheers,

Mark

try this; a standard setup of P3D v3.1 frame control on a typical 59/60Hz dvi-d monitor. Possibly the closest we'll get with P3D to the beloved 1/2 refresh FSX exclusive mode:

Using Nvidia Inspector (NI) choose 29 fps or 30 fps for the "Frame Rate Limiter" item. Setting the frame rate limiter with 3.1 in NI is like having a lower refresh monitor mode. However, the limiter settings don't all work on all systems, so check you get fps showing near to the setting you choose in NI.

Now run P3D v 3.1 and in Display settings we have two options;

1. Set VSync=On and set Triple Buffer=On, set Unlimited frame rate,

or

2. VSync=Off and TP=Off, set Locked Frame Rate to 29/30.

Using example 2, the pre-emptive setting. requires unlimited frame rates showing in the region of at least 45-90fps to be reasonably successful. Seems counter-intuitive, but just when look ahead frames are needed, the sim is running too slow to build them up again. Example 1 can be utilised by less powerful systems and still maintain a reasonably smooth 30fps.

...locked frames isn't there to maintain 30fps when the going gets tough, it's there to maintain the same time between frames. ;)

Thanks you!!! This post just helped me to have the smoother P3D flight experience ever... 

60Hz Monitor, 1/2 Vsync Standard in NI, 30.5FPS limit in NI (newer versions have only 29.5 or 30.5), 31 FPS lock, Vsync and Triple Buffer OFF in P3D... This gives me an smooth experience like the old times 1/2 in FSX.

Thanks you again!

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

I selected "Vsync = On and checked Triple buggering and that fixed the jerkiness and my sim is now smooth..but I had the Screen tearing issue.

Apparently triple buggering is the way to go!! :LMAO:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

For me the only way to avoid stutter/microstutters was to use the setup posted by SteveW in the last post...Use 60Hz but limiting FPS to 30 in NI. If i don't limit the FPS i always have stutters. Tested also with Gsync and 144Hz but no result, always stutters.

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Thanks you!!! This post just helped me to have the smoother P3D flight experience ever... 

60Hz Monitor, 1/2 Vsync Standard in NI, 30.5FPS limit in NI (newer versions have only 29.5 or 30.5), 31 FPS lock, Vsync and Triple Buffer OFF in P3D... This gives me an smooth experience like the old times 1/2 in FSX.

Thanks you again!

You're welcome!

Remember to watch out for undocked panels, they should be OK but with some Nvidia driver versions they can reduce frame rate a lot when undocked. That's a driver fault so take care to have the best driver and always after updating the driver software run Nvidia Control Panel and 3D settings Restore/Apply all Profiles before making changes there or in Nvidia Profile Inspector.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

You're welcome!

Remember to watch out for undocked panels, they should be OK but with some Nvidia driver versions they can reduce frame rate a lot when undocked. That's a driver fault so take care to have the best driver and always after updating the driver software run Nvidia Control Panel and 3D settings Restore/Apply all Profiles before making changes there or in Nvidia Profile Inspector.

Thanks! 

Now i have a smooooth P3D and i love it...i tried all in the past with no luck, always stutters...For people with 60hz i can only recommend to test this setup.

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

For me the only way to avoid stutter/microstutters was to use the setup posted by SteveW in the last post...Use 60Hz but limiting FPS to 30 in NI. If i don't limit the FPS i always have stutters. Tested also with Gsync and 144Hz but no result, always stutters.

Thanks for the input! would like to try out that cause for me it always micro-stutters now and then in turns. Could I ask the following:

VSYNC in NI ?

VSYNC in P3D?

Triple Buffering in P3D?

Frame frame in P3D?

Thank you very much!

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Thanks for the input! would like to try out that cause for me it always micro-stutters now and then in turns. Could I ask the following:

VSYNC in NI ?

VSYNC in P3D?

Triple Buffering in P3D?

Frame frame in P3D?

Thank you very much!

1/2 RR Adaptive Vsync in NI.

Vsync Off in P3D.

Triple Buffer Off in P3D.

Frame Limit to 31 in P3D.

Frame Limit to 30.5 in NI.

• Upvote 1

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

1/2 RR Adaptive Vsync in NI.

Vsync Off in P3D.

Triple Buffer Off in P3D.

Frame Limit to 31 in P3D.

Frame Limit to 30.5 in NI.

Thank's so much. I'll definitely give it a try :)

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

One question on this one: does the adaptive vsync means the setting under the Vertical sync-tear control setting? And do you use Vertical sync smooth behaviour setting? Ok, that´s two questions actually :)

Tapani Österberg

One question on this one: does the adaptive vsync means the setting under the Vertical sync-tear control setting? And do you use Vertical sync smooth behaviour setting? Ok, that´s two questions actually :)

Yes this setting. And i have Smooth AFR to Off (not tested in ON).

Can anyone help me with this strange behaviour? (Look at that line on the water)

2ibl361.png

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Thanks! 

Now i have a smooooth P3D and i love it...i tried all in the past with no luck, always stutters...For people with 60hz i can only recommend to test this setup.

Rob advised setting the monitor to 30 Hrtz ( if possible ) , Unlimited and V-sync + TB on if you aim at a constant 30 fps.

However , using 60 Hrtz and NVI with 1/2 refreshrate and limit the framerate to 30 + Uimited + TB will do the same.

Use what is best on your system..,

I myself use Uimited + VSync + TB with DXTory limiter .

On my system DXTory results in a smoother experience than when using the NVI limiter.

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Rob advised setting the monitor to 30 Hrtz ( if possible ) , Unlimited and V-sync + TB on if you aim at a constant 30 fps.

However , using 60 Hrtz and NVI with 1/2 refreshrate and limit the framerate to 30 + Uimited + TB will do the same.

Use what is best on your system..,

I myself use Uimited + VSync + TB with DXTory limiter .

On my system DXTory results in a smoother experience than when using the NVI limiter.

My monitor is not 30Hz capable...

Tested Dxtory but it causes stutters to me. For now the smoothest for me is 1/2 and 30.5 limit in NI and 31 limit in P3D with Vsync and TB off in P3D. If i leave unlimited in P3D is less smooother and FPS are not stable.

I am thinking about buy a 4K 30Hz monitor in 24' or 27'. What models do you recommend? What about Dell P2415Q?

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Hi Jose88

I think the line you refer to in your screenshot is caused by your cloud shadow radius. It's probably set quite low - 10 - 20km. If you move that up to a higher setting you can move that line further out so it's not so noticeable.

Cheers

Stu

• Upvote 1

Stuart Furley

Hi Jose88

I think the line you refer to in your screenshot is caused by your cloud shadow radius. It's probably set quite low - 10 - 20km. If you move that up to a higher setting you can move that line further out so it's not so noticeable.

Cheers

Stu

Thanks!

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg