Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

VSYNC P3D V3

Hi Guys

My last topic was deleted for some reason but anyways,

I have  managed to fix my blurries which was mainly in the distance a little.

now my question is with vsync I am running unlimited fps as my tv refresh rate is 60hz and is set at that in nvida control panel

now do I need to turn vsync on in p3d with triple buffer ticked? or keep it off as it is ATM

or is that only if I set my refresh rate at 30hz in NCP?

and would I need to set vsync half refresh rate in inspector?

Thanks

Mike

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I've tried everything P3D sucks in dense clouds! I'm running aero mode because of the tearing and i have also tried everything to get rid of the tearing.

Luck for you. I'm running a GTX780 but going for EVGA GTX980 superclocked soon. You?

I won't be upgrading for another 2 years or so

I will get the pascal in sli

780 should be working just fine for you

Running 2 Titans sc at the moment

I have set vsynch to ON in both P3D and NI, but still get a slight ripple in the scenery when panning the view.. would love to know what could be improved also..

3770K@4.0 and GTX770 video card.

I used to run P3D pre ver 3.1 in unlimited with vsync enabled. Since updating, locked internal at 30fps is best. Total mystery to me as 30fps before would have been totally unacceptable with TrackIR. This seems to be no longer be the case. LM or Nvidia must have drastically changed something. Also another thing...I am also running 2xMSAA intenally, and 2xSGSS in NI, and seems to be working again finally and is much more forgiving through the clouds.  Nothing but 4xSGSS removed the jitters for me before...crazy. 

Rob, when testing without ag ( only photoscenery ) my smoothest settings were :

Fps locked at 26 , vsync on, triple buff on and refresh rate at 25....

With custom ag on top of the photoscenery I have VSync off.

Two days ago I was testing at AS Schiphol with 10% MT aircraft and 4 cloud layers and had 17-21 fps.

I then set the fps to Unlimited and got a minimum of 26 fps and everything was smooth like up in the air....

Then I tried with fps set to 59 and the fps dropped to 17-21 again.

Conclusion : on my system fps set to Unlimited is the way to go.

I will try with the NVI fps locking at 25 and 30 too...

My last topic was deleted for some reason but anyways,

I have managed to fix my blurries which was mainly in the distance a little.

So how did you get rid of those blurries?

Thanks,

gb.

Thank you guys for the informative answers

so with a lot  testing  I am butter smooth with unlimited frames triple buffer vsync on  clear weather

as robs guide I tried most of the above post above.

now with a little heavier weather slight stutter very minimal as I am using 4xsgss

only damn problem is blurries in distance thought I had fixed it , being say only a few miles away whilst take off and landing and then clears up as I get closer or higher using ftx global

thou in distance when approaching I zoom into airport and its completely loaded but surrounding textures in distance blury

I have tried removing all tweaks and no inspector settings to no avail

thou I may try deleting shader cache havnt done so yet will keep posted

thanks

Just had to chime in on this. Not from a simulation perspective, but broadcast.

So much changed when we shifted to the digital domain. New terms and developing standards. The point being that things like vertical intervals and refresh were all handled in the analog domain. The actual terms rarely mean the same in our new digital domain nor produce the same results. ...especially when dealing with unregulated CGI program material.

In theory and on paper, adaptive sync should work best. I don't know if it does. For now, I set my P3D frame limiter to 20, disable vsync and let the card do its job. Again, in theory, it should look choppy, but flows very smoothly instead. I'm trying to include some processing headroom for both the CPU/GPU.

Try a lower framerate. If your CPU and GPU keep up, you may like the results. Just my opinions!

Good post Mark. What is not generally realised is that with the internal limiter, it's actually not just a limiter, but introduces look ahead frames. Pre-rendered frames add a big hit to the frame rate but allow the sim frame interval to be more precise. It is that precision that helps match the frame to the refresh timing, so on a 60Hz monitor set 20 or 30, to set 21 or 31 is a mistake. But really, to use the frame rate target in DX requires 2 or 3 times more fps achieved when in unlimited mode or it won't ever produce satisfactory results. I constantly see posts relating to unhappiness with a fixed fps setting, and always set way too high to be achievable, or not set within the timing of the monitor refresh.

Thanks steve

so what would be input on blurred terrain in distance?

LOD is 6.5

affinity mask 84 have tried 244 254 84 also tried without 84 is smooth

fftf 0.01 also tried without

running i7 4790k

thanks

Conclusion : on my system fps set to Unlimited is the way to go.

Gerard ... you are missing the most key detail from your post ... what's your monitor refresh rate operating at?  Vsync is only relevant if your system can sustain FPS (min) greater than your monitors refresh rate.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: Agree that monitors have come a long way and "refresh" was originally a CRT monitor specification.  However a 3D rendered image in real time has very different properties from filming a movie on a digital camera ... if you subscribe to Eistein's theories, the world moves at up to 186,000 miles per second (ish) ... a 3D rendered images do not ... they are governed by fast CPU/GPUs.  One is capturing at a specific FPS, one is generating at specific FPS - two VERY different worlds.

EDIT 2: To further complicate matters, current monitors/TVs will have a slew of additional adjustments with their own frame buffering which makes the equation even that much more difficult to determine.

ok i am bloody stumped mate i just did a test with my 46 inch tv refresh rate being 60htz

fps unlimited vsync on triple buffer on =smooth

vsync off triple buffer off unlimited frames = smooth

tried both scenarios with fps 57 60 = smooth

so whats the best setting lol

so ATM i have it set unlimited  fps vsync off triple buffer off

Gerard ... you are missing the most key detail from your post ... what's your monitor refresh rate operating at?  Vsync is only relevant if your system can sustain FPS (min) greater than your monitors refresh rate.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: Agree that monitors have come a long way and "refresh" was originally a CRT monitor specification.  However a 3D rendered image in real time has very different properties from filming a movie on a digital camera ... if you subscribe to Eistein's theories, the world moves at up to 186,000 miles per second (ish) ... a 3D rendered images do not ... they are governed by fast CPU/GPUs.  One is capturing at a specific FPS, one is generating at specific FPS - two VERY different worlds.

EDIT 2: To further complicate matters, current monitors/TVs will have a slew of additional adjustments with their own frame buffering which makes the equation even that much more difficult to determine.

Rob, my HD tv's can be set to 60, 50, 30 and 25 hrtz when connected to a pc .

I have choosen 25 Hrtz as 26 fps is the minimum I am getting with Unlimited fps.

Thanks steve

so what would be input on blurred terrain in distance?

LOD is 6.5

affinity mask 84 have tried 244 254 84 also tried without 84 is smooth

fftf 0.01 also tried without

running i7 4790k

thanks

I can only suggest you try 116 instead of 84, since it provides 4LPs and still avoids core zero like 84. However, I'm not sure if you need to avoid core zero, so can also try 85 if not.

I have choosen 25 Hrtz as 26 fps is the minimum I am getting with Unlimited fps.

You'll need a consistent 50+ fps with Unlimited to run at 25 locked Gerrard.

Seems like Rob and Steve have two different approaches to this... :wink:

Wish it was as simple as FSX. Vsync 1/2 refresh rate, lock frames at 30 GO FLY thats why we are here lol

Just as puzzeled now as you are Bert...

Join the club! The more I read about this the more I think I understand, yet my results seem to run contrary to all the very sound logic recorded on these forums.

On my rig: Monitor refresh 120Hz, VSync ON, Triple buffer checked, Frame Rate Unlimited, SGSS:4, MSAA:4 = very smooth performance with very rare and hardly discernible micro-stuttering.

I7-5960x currently still running at stock speeds (3-3.5GHz), 8 cores (NO Affinity Mask, HT=OFF) ASUS Strix GTX980 x2 in SLI (usage appears balanced varying between 60-75% (P0), Windows7 Pro 64bit.

I use KSEA as my testing area with building storms. Frame rates (as displayed by the sim) can be jumping all over the place but, remarkably, the screen updates remain smooth. Beech Baron 58 movements always fluid and convincing of real flight.

Once again, if there is one truth worth repeating about all this, it is the unique nature of each rig on which the sim is running. Doubtless my hardware setup is a major factor - which is why I have not posted the rest of my settings, but am happy to do so if requested.

Mike

I use KSEA as my testing area with building storms. Frame rates (as displayed by the sim) can be jumping all over the place but, remarkably, the screen updates remain smooth. Beech Baron 58 movements always fluid and convincing of real flight.

Mike, if you are not seeing integer divisions of 120 FPS (120, 60, 40...) you would have to think Vsync is not working here. ?

gb.