Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

VSYNC P3D V3

Very intresting topic, guys, thanks for all the hard work!

My settings at the moment, Monitor at 30hz, unlimited, vsync +triple buffer....very smooth.

I had a Asus PG279Q, tried to get it smooth with gsync for one week, not possible. I had sync-stutters, worst in turns, funny it's no match against 30hz.

I dont want to say it's impossible for anyone, just dont think that gsync is a magic bullet!

As long the scenery and the addon's allow 60fps and more, it's buttersmooth, on almost any setting.

The true art is, to get it smooth at around 30fps! :-)

And....as posted in another thread, there are addons which induce stutters, example:

In my case the gps in the Aerosoft Twin Otter in on (powered) position, induces a stutter...no more stutterfree taxi....turned off=buttersmooth!

McDan out

Very intresting topic, guys, thanks for all the hard work!

My settings at the moment, Monitor at 30hz, unlimited, vsync +triple buffer....very smooth.

I had a Asus PG279Q, tried to get it smooth with gsync for one week, not possible. I had sync-stutters, worst in turns, funny it's no match against 30 Hrtz.

Like I wrote :

Triple monitor setup with photoscenery + custom ag only :

Monitor 25 hrtz refresh rate + Unlimited + Vsync + Triple buffer

( minimum fps is 26 )

Steve, Rob : why do I need a refresh rate of 50 ?

I have the same as 30 hrtz of Robs table but then 25 ....

And why should Triple buffer be Off in that situation ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I had a Asus PG279Q, tried to get it smooth with gsync for one week, not possible. I had sync-stutters, worst in turns

As long the scenery and the addon's allow 60fps and more, it's buttersmooth, on almost any setting.

I have the same monitor and, yes, that's been my experience as well. Seems that G-Sync is not very effective at low frame rates, but really comes into its own as the frame rates rise. VSync + Triple Buffering + Unlimited Frame Rate seems to provide the best general solution for me in Prepar3D V3.1 as frame rates can vary enormously with changes in scenery density.

However, as Steve has pointed out, all this becomes less relevant if you can hold frame rates higher than, say, 40. I have now overclocked my i7-5960x to 4.4GHz (vcore=1.310 steady) and, what do you know, I can be using G-Sync or VSync ON (with triple buffer) or OFF and it makes not a blind bit of difference - the sim remains smooth whatever the scenario tried thus far. My preference still favours VSync ON with Triple Buffering as, for whatever reason, it does seem to handle those lower frame rate occasions (sub 30fps) much more efficiently.

Now, if I'm gaming then it's a different story altogether - G-Sync all the way! Wouldn't be without it!

Mike

Rob

With fsx I had LOD 6.5 and terrain looked clear and crisp in distance thou the occasional OOM

P3D looks a little shocking in short distance

Now was it meant to be in that way to prevent OOM from happening?

Do you have the same result with textures in distance being blurred then correct themselves as you fly closer?

Cheers

Mike

Steve, Rob : why do I need a refresh rate of 50 ?

I have the same as 30 hrtz of Robs table but then 25 ....

And why should Triple buffer be Off in that situation ?

Hi Gerard, not sure I understand the Q fully. If you are using 25 fps on a 25Hz monitor, you would get the same result with 50, 75 or 100Hz refresh since there is a refresh at each 1/25th s with all of those frequencies. There's no life or death "need" to set the gpu frequency to the monitor frequency but that is a performance peak, like setting vsync off since the fps is unconfined by refresh timing. Maybe that's where you and Bert get confused. A triple buffer enables the gpu to continue drawing each next frame without waiting for vsync, and keeps banging out the next frame, an alternative to pre-rendering frames. Pre rendering provides precision to the simulation for a very small cost of input lag.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I had jerky movement in P3D V3.1 and I didn't know what to do

I selected "Vsync = On and checked Triple buggering and that fixed the jerkiness and my sim is now smooth..but I had the Screen tearing issue.

[DISPLAY]

VSYNC=1

TRIPLE_BUFFER=1

I googled and found some setting that I tried and that worked  and now my screen  tearing has stopped. 

[Graphics]

ForceFullScreenVSync=1
ForceWindowedVsync=1
ForceVSync=True

Give them a shot

Edited to add: Spoke too soon..the tearing is still there... 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hi Gerard, not sure I understand the Q fully. If you are using 25 fps on a 25Hz monitor, you would get the same result with 50, 75 or 100Hz refresh since there is a refresh at each 1/25th s with all of those frequencies. There's no life or death "need" to set the gpu frequency to the monitor frequency but that is a performance peak, like setting vsync off since the fps is unconfined by refresh timing. Maybe that's where you and Bert get confused. A triple buffer enables the gpu to continue drawing each next frame without waiting for vsync, and keeps banging out the next frame, an alternative to pre-rendering frames. Pre rendering provides precision to the simulation for a very small cost of input lag.

Thanks Steve,

So you say I can also set the monitors to 50 hrtz.

I remember a thread about locking the fps to 30 and the frequency to 30 that which was found smoother than with a frequency set to 60.,,

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I remember a thread about locking the fps to 30 and the frequency to 30 that which was found smoother than with a frequency set to 60.,,

Gerard, if you can ensure that you ALWAYS exceed 60 FPS unlimited, then 60Hz will be better than 30 FPS/30Hz.  The problem is, it's very hard to guarantee >60 FPS will a fully loaded (aka lots of Add-ons active) environment (requires not maxing out and checking all the graphics options) ... can be done in base setup (no add-ons, but not a loaded environment).

Cheers, Rob.

Rob my system can produce over 30 FPS and upto 40-50. Am i safe to run fps lock 60 in P3D

Vernon Howells

Vernon, if you set a lock of 60, when it's running below that the lock cannot work and so is detrimental to the performance. So when you need the most performance (below 60) you would be giving it a hard time. Even a lock of 20 may not be that successful when you are running a sim that can only do around 30 in unlimited.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Rob my system can produce over 30 FPS and upto 40-50. Am i safe to run fps lock 60 in P3D

Agree with Steve, will not produce fluid results (but nothing "unsafe" about it).  Try frame limit at 37 (assuming your monitor will not operate at 30Hz refresh).

Cheers, Rob.

Right i see, i'll be better of running locked 30 or 37 as my monitor is 60hz

Vernon Howells

Agree with Steve, will not produce fluid results (but nothing "unsafe" about it).  Try frame limit at 37 (assuming your monitor will not operate at 30Hz refresh).

Cheers, Rob.

37 was spot on for my P3D. I am also achieving 40-50 fps almost all the time so 37 did it for me at least. Very smooth experience for me with 37 locked (not internal, but via NI).

Benjamin Hennes

Ryzen 7 7800X3D|2080Ti 11GB|32GB DDR5 RAM|1TB SSD|Windows 11 Home

Thinking about getting a 30hz capable monitor or a G-sync. What is best with P3D when I am not able to keep 60fps (for Vsync with current monitor) in all situations? G-sync monitor to run unlimited within P3D and Gsync or a monitor that delivers 30hz + Vsync enabled within P3D? Or eventually wait for 1/2 refresh compatibility (if it comes) to P3D?

Benjamin Hennes

Ryzen 7 7800X3D|2080Ti 11GB|32GB DDR5 RAM|1TB SSD|Windows 11 Home