Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

Explain 3.1 Update to a P3D V3 newbee?

Hi all, I have seen an update is available for P3D 3.1

How do you update this program?

When I log into my P3D account I see a massive 5GB file, is there not another smaller file that you update the software with?

Where and with what with do you update it ? The 'client' people speak of?

How are people getting on with the update? Does it really make the PMDG NGX run faster.  What happens with Obex scenery with the update.? Do you have to re-install everything?

Thank you

In the downloads section on the Prepar3d site, there's a drop down under the main download. This lets you download the Client only msi file. I think it's about 150meg. Just go into your Control Panel on Windows and uninstall the Prepar3d 3.0 Client only. There are 3 Prepar3d 3.0 related things in your Add/Remove programs list. Only uninstall the Client one. Then install the new 3.1 Client installer you just downloaded. You'll have to re input your registration details from your Prepar3d 3.0 purchase and off you go. A few things need updating like Orbx Libraries and Active Sky Next but otherwise my Sim remained as it was in Prepar3d 3.0. A complete revalation compared to 2.0 updates where I had to reinstall everything with every update...

As for your other questions, just have a look around this Prep3d forum here. Search for a guy called Rob Ainscough. You'll pretty much find everything you need in his threads and responses.

I joined the P3D club on Dec 11 with 3.0.  After some hesitation, but good advice from the forums, I uninstalled 3.0 and installed 3.1.  All add-ons remained intact.  I especially use ASN, PMDG 737/777, and scenery from ORBX, FSDT, FlightBeam, and FlyTampa.  All these developers already have 3.x installers.  It was a lot easier than I thought.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Hi Julian,

Look for: '+ Individual Component Downloads (click to expand)'

You will find what you need listed there.

Most of us will have opted to download three files:

1. Install_Client.msi (which is the Microsoft installer and will not install any of the prerequisites which you will have in place when you installed v3.0)

2. Install_Content.msi

3. cont1.cab (needed by the 'Install_Content.msi' installer and should be in the same folder as the installer)

Also it's worth copying the MD5 Checksum for each of the above files and check that you have a match when each file is scanned and the checksum is calculated by 'WinMD5 Free':

http://www.winmd5.com

This will ensure you have a good download.

Now, speaking as one who was a little hesitant about updating v3.0 to v3.1 (still have the scars from all the v2.x updating nonsense) I am happy to say that LM appear to have listened to our complaints and have now made the process so much easier.

FIRST: uninstall the existing Client and Content components in the usual way. Do not uninstall anything else relating to Prepar3D v3. You will find that stuff like ORBX, Prepar3D.cfg, Scenery.cfg and DLL.XML will all be preserved untouched. Also, the Modules folder will be okay although you will have to update FSUIPC if you use it)

SECOND: Install the 3.1 Client (Reboot - probably not necessary but it's a good habit)

THIRD: Install the 3.1 Content (Reboot)

That's pretty much it. Took me all of 15mins, if that. If future updates prove to be just as easy then we can all start to relax.

Believe me, I would not have updated right now if it meant reinstalling everything.

One last thing: As a precaution, I would delete the 'shaders' folder prior to the first run of v3.1. Also worth doing routinely following every graphic driver update or any manual changes made to Prepar3D.cfg. I assume you will know where to find the relevant folder. If not then please ask. Do NOT delete anything in the root folder of Prepar3D.

Remember, it takes time to rebuild the shaders at first run so don't be concerned if you are faced with a black screen/window - be patient!

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Mike

Thank you all for some very good replys...I will do this as soon as and let you know if I get stuck.

One thing that might help me in the future is knowing where that shaders folder is, or the path. I may be able to find it on my own.

Julian

One thing that might help me in the future is knowing where that shaders folder is, or the path. I may be able to find it on my own.

Julian

Hi Julian,

Here is the path to the 'shaders' folder:

X:\Users\<YOU>\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\shaders (where 'X' is the drive on which the operating system is installed)

Don't worry about deleting this folder. The only side effect is longer initial load time of the sim as if you were running the sim the first time after installation.

Tip: Once you have located the relevant 'Prepar3D v3' folder, as in the path above, right-click on the folder and select 'Send shortcut to desktop'. You will never have to remember where that folder is again although, of course, after a few visits you will ;)

Please note that the 'ShadersHLSL' folder in the root Prepar3D v3 folder is NOT the one you want to delete.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Julian,

Here is the path to the 'shaders' folder:

X:\Users\<YOU>\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\shaders (where 'X' is the drive on which the operating system is installed)

Don't worry about deleting this folder. The only side effect is longer initial load time of the sim as if you were running the sim the first time after installation.

Tip: Once you have located the relevant 'Prepar3D v3' folder, as in the path above, right-click on the folder and select 'Send shortcut to desktop'. You will never have to remember where that folder is again although, of course, after a few visits you will ;)

Please note that the 'ShadersHLSL' folder in the root Prepar3D v3 folder is NOT the one you want to delete.

Regards,

Mike

Ok Thank you.

I will get to work on everything now.

I haven't started yet, but one question, what is this objectflow error that people are getting?

I couldn't see individual msi downloads  for some reason. Just Prepar3D_v3_SDK_Setup_3.1.2.15831.  found that a bit confusing..What is this, it looks like one file?

So I have downloaded the whole lot, the main zip.

After a slow load up I believe P3d V3 has updated,to 3.1 and the taxi lights are working at night on the PMDG NGX, and the FTX Orbx is working at EGKK. :)

Nearly forgot this, but remembered.

3. cont1.cab (needed by the 'Install_Content.msi' installer and should be in the same folder as the installer)

So great stuff...   I didn't get any objectflow error. Unless anything bites me in the butt later, but happy so far.  I may have to update ASN.

Many thanks for the excellent help.

Hi Julian,

1. Install_Client.msi (which is the Microsoft installer and will not install any of the prerequisites which you will have in place when you installed v3.0)

2. Install_Content.msi

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I downloaded only the "client" MSI file last night and updated to v3.1. I thought I had the full updated version, but you think I also need to download the "content" MSI? What about the scenery one? I read the P3D update document but it isn't clear which ones I need.

I did get a CTD during my last flight -possibly related to my bad updating but whatever- but I'm just wandering, since I only updated the "client", do I have 3.1 or 3.0 now?

Thanks for the detailed post.

Regards,

Guest JustanotherPilot

Hi Julian,

2. Install_Content.msi

Also it's worth copying the MD5 Checksum for each of the above files and check that you have a match when each file is scanned and the checksum is calculated by 'WinMD5 Free':

http://www.winmd5.com

This will ensure you have a good download.

Now, speaking as one who was a little hesitant about updating v3.0 to v3.1 (still have the scars from all the v2.x updating nonsense) I am happy to say that LM appear to have listened to our complaints and have now made the process so much easier.

FIRST: uninstall the existing Client and Content components in the usual way. Do not uninstall anything else relating to Prepar3D v3. You will find that stuff like ORBX, Prepar3D.cfg, Scenery.cfg and DLL.XML will all be preserved untouched. Also, the Modules folder will be okay although you will have to update FSUIPC if you use it)

SECOND: Install the 3.1 Client (Reboot - probably not necessary but it's a good habit)

THIRD: Install the 3.1 Content (Reboot)

That's pretty much it. Took me all of 15mins, if that. If future updates prove to be just as easy then we can all start to relax.

Believe me, I would not have updated right now if it meant reinstalling everything.

One last thing: As a precaution, I would delete the 'shaders' folder prior to the first run of v3.1. Also worth doing routinely following every graphic driver update or any manual changes made to Prepar3D.cfg. I assume you will know where to find the relevant folder. If not then please ask. Do NOT delete anything in the root folder of Prepar3D.

Remember, it takes time to rebuild the shaders at first run so don't be concerned if you are faced with a black screen/window - be patient!

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks Mike for convincing me to update to 3.1, I was reluctant because of the fear of having to reinstall all of my scenery and Addons again but after reading your post I'm downloading the Client and Content.msi.

Hi Mike,

I downloaded only the "client" MSI file last night and updated to v3.1. I thought I had the full updated version, but you think I also need to download the "content" MSI? What about the scenery one? I read the P3D update document but it isn't clear which ones I need.

I did get a CTD during my last flight -possibly related to my bad updating but whatever- but I'm just wandering, since I only updated the "client", do I have 3.1 or 3.0 now?

Thanks for the detailed post.

Regards,

Hi Philippe,

The version number can be verified in the usual way by selecting the 'Help' tab and then 'About'. I'm not at the sim right now so going from memory. Anyway, you'll soon find it.

Very little of relevance to our needs would be updated by the 'Scenery' installer so can be ignored. Also, there is a real possibility that it will overwrite any default textures that have been modified by products like ORBX.

Whether or not you install the 'Content' is your choice. It is non-destructive, unlike the 'Scenery' installer as mentioned above, so no harm in including it in your update.

Regards,

Mike

I couldn't see individual msi downloads  for some reason. Just Prepar3D_v3_SDK_Setup_3.1.2.15831.  found that a bit confusing..What is this, it looks like one file?

So I have downloaded the whole lot, the main zip.

Did you click on the '+' sign - the files will then be revealed.

SDK = Software Development Kit. It's for Developers, you don't need it.

Regards,

Mike

Does anyone know what is actually updated by the Cont1.cab and Install_Content.msi file? What does this change in the Sim? Is it the new water files etc?

Hi Philippe,

The version number can be verified in the usual way by selecting the 'Help' tab and then 'About'. I'm not at the sim right now so going from memory. Anyway, you'll soon find it.

Very little of relevance to our needs would be updated by the 'Scenery' installer so can be ignored. Also, there is a real possibility that it will overwrite any default textures that have been modified by products like ORBX.

Whether or not you install the 'Content' is your choice. It is non-destructive, unlike the 'Scenery' installer as mentioned above, so no harm in including it in your update.

Regards,

Mike

Did you click on the '+' sign - the files will then be revealed.

SDK = Software Development Kit. It's for Developers, you don't need it.

Regards,

Mike

Ahhhhhh  ok.....I thought it was something like that. Yes I see now.   When the page is full of download links the eye tends to ignore body text.Then again it does say 'expand'.

Does anyone know what is actually updated by the Cont1.cab and Install_Content.msi file? What does this change in the Sim? Is it the new water files etc?

I believe the change log says the content.msi  updates 2 default aircraft files only. I didn't bother with it because i never fly the default aircraft. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS