Sign in to follow this  
ubersu

Much better front page layout this evening.

Hi,

As the title says... the boxed content was distracting and gave little sense of time.  Well done.

DJ

+1

I like it very much!

Reminds me of the old-good AVSIM layout.

I would like to see "Latest Forum Topics" moved to the left-side pane/border.

I don't find "Recent Comments" being there so much usefull

Kind Regards

Sam. 

Waiting for the 64-bit PSION Flightsim for ZX-Spectrum ////

Thank you everyone, learning PHP and CSS had made me an insomniac some nights, but it's a lot of fun. Just a little polishing. I don't think the recent comments sidebar is very helpful either. Just out of ideas for what it can be. Maybe we can put a different more helpful feed up there, just need to think of what. For consistencies sake, it can't be fundamental to avsim (i.e. a navigation menu, helpful links, etc) because a left column isn't available throughout the rest of the site.

I think I kept the recent topics on the right column because that's where it is throughout the rest of the forum--this way your eyes are trained and know what area of the page to go to see recent topics no matter where on the site you are.

Thank you everyone, learning PHP and CSS had made me an insomniac some nights, but it's a lot of fun. Just a little polishing. I don't think the recent comments sidebar is very helpful either. Just out of ideas for what it can be. Maybe we can put a different more helpful feed up there, just need to think of what. For consistencies sake, it can't be fundamental to avsim (i.e. a navigation menu, helpful links, etc) because a left column isn't available throughout the rest of the site.

I think I kept the recent topics on the right column because that's where it is throughout the rest of the forum--this way your eyes are trained and know what area of the page to go to see recent topics no matter where on the site you are.

It is "visually" obvious that your time spent learning PHP and CSS didn't go to waste, Chase!

Keep up the great work.

• Upvote 1

It's a good thing that I don't visit the Front Page often, because I get a totally FUBARed view now in IE10...

...complete "white space" on the right, and cannot see the new "Articles" without scrolling down past the "Recent Comments" box.

It displays correctly in Chrome though!

mlSwx.jpg

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

FWIW the front page displays fine for me using:

Firefox 43.0.3

Chrome 47.0.2

Internet Explorer 11.20

Windows 10 Edge Browser

Pale Moon Browser 25.8.1

It displays correctly in Chrome though!

It's been a journey, to say the least, learning one basic rule in CSS.. one size does not fit all.  Unfortunately some browsers, up until recently, had different call signs for the same styles.  The design that makes IE9 crap the bed is a feature called flex... Well, flex is a royal PITA with IE, and it has at least 3 different call signs that I couldn't get to work across the board.  I dropped it and went to some basic columns instead of the gadgetry with a layout that looks equally nice and "flexy".  I have it almost there with IE9, there's just an odd spacing between the ads and the beginning of the news articles.  Will sort that out later.  For now it's time to go out, my eyes are watering from staring at lines of text.

The front page should look fine on modern browsers as TPerson confirmed.  Thank you!

Chase

The front page should look fine on modern browsers as TPerson confirmed.  Thank you!

Whatever you did Chase, it displays identically in both IE10 and Chrome now.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Personally i don't like the latest frontpage at all, but i do not know exactly why.

To me, (again personally), it looks kind of childish / amateuristic.

I don't say i can do it any better, but i just don't like it.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.