Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

[Training Video]: How to land in high winds

Nice Vid Alex.

Enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Nice! Thanks

• Upvote 1

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

Now I've seen that eye point bouncing around and everything in many other videos and really like it... what exactly do I need to get that effect? Track IR? Is there some other program that intensifies the bouncing in turbulence and on the ground too? What does something like that cost? I hope its not annoying that I'm asking you a question unrelated to the subject (kinda) but the effect is really cool in a bumpy landing.

Now I've seen that eye point bouncing around and everything in many other videos and really like it... what exactly do I need to get that effect? Track IR? Is there some other program that intensifies the bouncing in turbulence and on the ground too? What does something like that cost? I hope its not annoying that I'm asking you a question unrelated to the subject (kinda) but the effect is really cool in a bumpy landing.

It's Ezdok Nick and it would be the first on my shopping cart if I had to buy everything again :-).

I need to make a part 2 to go into greater detail but hopefully it proves useful :)

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Alex,

Based on your vid and comments I'm going to buy Ezdok tonight and install. Do you have an email or something we can talk outside this thread (unless you don't mind the discussion going on in your thread). From what I've been reading,  I'd like to have access to your vibration profile if possible - plus some other camera profiles if that makes any sense?

Nick you are going to love EZdok, I had TrackIR, never liked it mounted to my head. Could never get used tot hing and didn't feel natural. EZDok is something I could never live without. Prepare to change the way you fly. 

Angelo,

I'm super excited now! I can't believe I haven't purchased this thing earlier. I got Active Sky for Christmas and it seems like that swaying / turbulence effect has been kicked up a notch in the VC, and I really liked it. Seeing Alex's vid makes me wanting more.

I hope I'm not having to go to school to learn how to use the thing, which is why I asked for Alex's vibration profile. Plug and play is what I'd like to do.  

I recently added a 2nd monitor for which I placed my 2D OH/fire/comm panels, as scrolling using the hat switch and no EZdok to see and press buttons in the VC was impossible. PMDG did an incredible job on the 3d cockpit, and the buttons and switches are so much better looking then the 3d panels, but getting to the buttons and pressing them while in flight - particularly during takeoff and landings - without something like EZdok is impossible.

I see EZdok has some sort of panoramic mode... could it stretch the VC cockpit across 2 screens? This would be like a dream come true.

I have the camera profiles for the 737 777 MD11 and A320. PMDG and Aerosoft, once you have your EZDok updated to 1.18 I can send you them and pretty much all you do is import the profile and done! 

The vibration profiles can be imported also but I do not have those. Hopefully Alex can help. 

Angelo, to get ahead of the game, can  you email them to me now (737-800)? By the time I get on tonight, you might be in bed depending on where you are in the world. Otherwise, I will be looking for something in the AVSim library above, or *sigh* google. Thanks!

Luckyleaf6@aol.com

And you can disregard my questions about two monitors. I stumbled upon AMD's eyefinity mode in my googling today. Amazing how I missed that part when I was setting up my dual monitors a month ago.

Theres so much that I don't know about on this "game". I'm slowly learning bit by bit.

Angelo,

No problem, thank you much. Kids won't be in bed for 8 hours anyway, which is when daddy gets to play his game. :dance:

Worth noting that, like many things in aviation, there are many different mentalities when addressing wind correction. The most common one I've seen with larger aircraft is as Alex stated, but in initial training many are taught simply half the gust factor. Some operators only add the gust factor alone (unmodified). There are also some that use whichever is greater between a modification of the steady state or the gust. There's another method about using ground speed and wind components, but as far as I know, that's specific to the USAF.

Some methods include more protection from shear than others, and arguments can be made for those methods being safer in the air, but care should also be taken to remember that KE = 0.5 m v ^ 2. On a gusty rainy or snowy day, that v ^ 2 could cause an entirely different issue. Seeing that UAL alone drove planes off runways twice in the last week or so - one due to snow, and one due to heavy rain, at least according to early reports - it's important to keep in mind that, should no shear occur, you now have your entire additive to bleed off. This greatly increases landing distance, and if you add rain/snow to reduce braking action, you could be in trouble. This is one of the reasons we have flaps. Otherwise, why not save the weight, not have flaps, and come cooking in at 190ish? The reason is landing distance and the effect that speed has thereon.

Basically, there is no right or wrong here, per se, as long as you're following the SOP you want to follow. The overarching goal is that you want to be slow enough that it's safe for the runway, but fast enough to protect from a potential stall from shear.

Kyle Rodgers