Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

So...I quit simming

Just yesterday a key spec changed in the product I'm coding ... it caused some major changes to how I work a core segment of code (call it an engine if you like) with huge implications and needing considerable testing/QA

Better than constant piling on I had at one job.  Add this...and add this...and add another thing...and the deadline doesn't move a lick.  Concord's one of those areas I only know from simming.  I live in NC and the weather's too crappy for a hike just yet.  March is coming.  :)  Gotta get a new pair of hiking shoes.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Spot on with all of those thoughts Gregg.   Couldn't agree more.

Flightsimming is like a disfunctional love hate relationship.

Simming is about taking a break from the real world. I spend enough time on my family as it is, and they need a break from me too :) Real life can be brutal. Family and friends have problems, get seriously ill and die. Simming is the only place I can truly escape thinking about those tragedies for a short while. So to me, it's all for the good.

• Upvote 3

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Simming is about taking a break from the real world. I spend enough time on my family as it is, and they need a break from me too :) Real life can be brutal. Family and friends have problems, get seriously ill and die. Simming is the only place I can truly escape thinking about those tragedies for a short while. So to me, it's all for the good.

Superb!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'm sort of in the same boat here.. I have been really bored with FSX lately; to the point I rarely ever finish a flight. I usually go through the start up, taxi, take-off, but once at altitude, I get bored, shut it down and go do something else. Doesn't seem to matter if it's short hops, long hauls or just casual flights.. my heart just isn't in it anymore.

To avoid the depression that comes with losing interest in such a hobby, I've decided to start playing around with drones to get my aviation fix.

• Upvote 1

Got to chime in here too,

Just as el_kabong says...it has become boring.....nothing strinking is happening anymore... I to have to give up through a flight it just does not hold me there...maybe we are all becoming complacent.

FS for me at this time has run its course. I have starting to looking at more strategy games but will go to the hanger now and again, If your enjoying FS still keep flying! if not have a break...

Landings are never boring.  :)

Mine certainly aren't. My landings make my passengers as excited as little kids. I know this because they keep getting sick...

Even landings can be rather boring, when the sim lacks proper weather effects modeling, like realistic shear and turbulence, under adverse weather conditions...

FSX is poor in replicating ( even when used with the best weather injectors ) the thrill of landing under such conditions...  X-Plane can be a bit better...

I really liked what I had in MS FLIGHT... which was a positive evolution from FSX...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Simming.. I'm on and off for months at a time. 

Maintaining a sim like P3Dv3 with good performance and addons requires alot of time and determination, and even then will be lots of ups and downs. XPX is quite a bit easier, and DCS is pretty much plug-and-play for me. 

All three sims are capable of giving me my fix, but I don't have the same patience to "fight" the sim as I used to.