Sign in to follow this  
Ricardobc

New Built for FSX/Prepar3d

"After" flying for 2 hours in P3D... did you mean "during" the flight, under load?

If your CPU never goes above 35 degrees, under load, then clearly, in regard to being temperature limited, you have a truck load of extra performance at your finger tips. So not sure why you aren't overclocking Rich, or if you are overclocking, why not more? Are you limited by voltage, is that it? 

If you aren't overclocking yet, but are highlighting how low your temps are at stock frequency, then clearly Rob's comments regarding electromigration and temperature variance don't apply anyway. As your temps will be higher when you do overclock.

More info required.

Regardless of the above, Richards PC is a masterpiece, a work of art... love it!

Under load ? what does that mean - the minute you start your sim you are now under load

I am at 4.7 ghz now thats plenty enough - what would .3 ghz buy me ? nothing really

Thanks for the kind remarks - appreciate it

Rich Sennett

Under load ? what does that mean - the minute you start your sim you are now under load

That's what I was trying to confirm.  You said your CPU never goes over 35 degrees "after" flying for two hours. I was trying to confirm that you didn't mean flying for two hours, ending the flight and then seeing 35 degrees. What confused me was the improbably low CPU temp which is closer to idle than a load temp.

I am at 4.7 ghz now thats plenty enough - what would .3 ghz buy me ? nothing really

So 35 degrees CPU temp under load at 4.7GHz... Well firstly I'm stunned if that's accurate. You are saying your CPU is at what most would regard as idle temps while under load at 4.7... forgive me for being sceptical but I'm very doubtful.

How are you measuring that temp? It can't be core temp surely. Possibly CPU temp, which is of course much lower as it's measured from a sensor in a cooler location, namely under the IHS.

If you are achieving 35 degrees "core temp" at 4.7GHz, then in my opinion you are defying the laws of thermodynamics. I'm guessing your room temp must be a pretty average 20c or so, so you are talking about a delta temp of a mere 15 degrees. Custom loops are pretty awesome things, but if it's cooling like that I'll eat my shorts.

I'd expect you to be at 50-60 degrees with a custom loop at that frequency! Not half that temperature. Even delided, you shouldn't be that low.

Sorry to be sceptical. 

I have a 6700K running 4.80Ghz 24/7 (no speedstep) with a Corsair H110i and in P3D / FSX with nearly all 4 cores pinned it barely breaks 65c. Running OCCT or a burn test temps are higher but that's not real world load conditions. I am plenty happy at 4.80 and 65c stable. 

That's what I was trying to confirm.  You said your CPU never goes over 35 degrees "after" flying for two hours. I was trying to confirm that you didn't mean flying for two hours, ending the flight and then seeing 35 degrees. What confused me was the improbably low CPU temp which is closer to idle than a load temp.

If you are achieving 35 degrees "core temp" at 4.7GHz, then in my opinion you are defying the laws of thermodynamics. I'm guessing your room temp must be a pretty average 20c or so, so you are talking about a delta temp of a mere 15 degrees. Custom loops are pretty awesome things, but if it's cooling like that I'll eat my shorts.

I'd expect you to be at 60-75 degrees with custom loop at that frequency! Not half that temperature. Even delided, you shouldn't be that low, 50 perhaps delided.

Sorry to be sceptical. 

Yes 35 to 36 degrees after two hours of simming but it is in the north east and its cold but doesnt matter - my radiators are huge - 8 fans per radiator only cooling one cpu and the other rad  cooling just the one gpu - is what it is an its awesome 

I haven't actually had to turn fans up full - that was 3/4 of the way while simming - that would change in summer a bit not sure as I have central air

Lets talk coolant also - Mayhems pastel coolant in the mix here also helping the cause its not just water - its mixture to help with better temps

Anyway have to fly take care

Rich Sennett

Is that CPU temp or Core temp Rich?

8 fans per radiator only cooling one cpu 

I must go back to the beginning of your build thread and check that out. But if you are at only 35 degrees at 4.7, then all that extra noise is for nothing.

Fewer fans would equate to lower noise but still within a safe temperature that doesn't increase CPU degradation beyond the norm. 

I haven't actually had to turn fans up full - that was 3/4 of the way while simming

At full blast 8 fans would be noisy. Even 3/4 with 8 fans must be friarly loud.  I would turn them down to an even lower RPM, and have a nice quite great looking PC. Higher temp isn't an issue at all if you're at 35 degrees. Turn them right down until your max temp is 50-60 degrees. Your CPU will be perfectly happy, long term and so will your ears. Less dust ingress as well.

Hello,

I'm almost ready to buy all components for my new build.

My problema now it's the case.

These three cases what would you recommend:

- Corsair 400C

- Phanteks Enthoo Pro M

- Fractal Design R5

All of them costs aroud 100€ only Phanteks it's chepear 79€.

Ricardo (Montijo, Portugal).
System: MSFS2020

NEW BUILD in process:

Intel i7 12700K, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Ultra, 64GB RAM DDR5, Gigabyte RTX 3080 TI, 2TB SSD Samsung 980 PRO, 1TB SSD WD SN750, 1TB SSD Kingston A2000, Corsair Hydro H150i Elite LCD, Corsair RM1000x, Corsair Virtuoso SE Headset, Corsair 5000D Airflow with 7 SP120mm RGB Elite Fans, LG 35WN65 (3440x1440), Thrustmaster Airbus Officer Pack+AddOn

Hello,

I'm almost ready to buy all components for my new build.

My problema now it's the case.

These three cases what would you recommend:

- Corsair 400C

- Phanteks Enthoo Pro M

- Fractal Design R5

All of them costs aroud 100€ only Phanteks it's chepear 79€.

I have the Enthoo Pro and I would recommend it without hesitation. I went for the non-window model as it's tucked away under my desk. It's a full tower so make sure you have the space for it. It has masses of room to work in with plenty of space behind the motherboard so it's easy to hide all of the cables. Quiet case fans and excellent airflow with lots of cooling options - I have a Corsair H110i GT which fits easily with room to spare. Take a look here for a comprehensive review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhmn21ylkc. There's very little that comes close for the price.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

The i7 6700k worth the 120€ of diference for i5 6600k?

I will gain significant FPS in FSX or P3D?

NEW BUILD in process:

Intel i7 12700K, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Ultra, 64GB RAM DDR5, Gigabyte RTX 3080 TI, 2TB SSD Samsung 980 PRO, 1TB SSD WD SN750, 1TB SSD Kingston A2000, Corsair Hydro H150i Elite LCD, Corsair RM1000x, Corsair Virtuoso SE Headset, Corsair 5000D Airflow with 7 SP120mm RGB Elite Fans, LG 35WN65 (3440x1440), Thrustmaster Airbus Officer Pack+AddOn

The i7 6700k worth the 120€ of diference for i5 6600k?

I will gain significant FPS in FSX or P3D?

More CPU power is always better for P3D!

To the 970 GTX discussion:

In my eyes the 970 is absolutely ok. I have one and I am flying in 4K and still get good frame rates (25+, except for flying through heavy clouds).

Sure, more is always better. But the 970 GTX is the best "bang for the buck" at the moment.

Edit: and for the PSU: I am running the i7 6700k / 970 GTX easily with a Seasonic 550 W PSU. So why should one go for 750 Watt if you do not intend to go for SLI or some other crazy stuff? Yeah, PSUs are more efficient when at a certain load level... But still 550 Watt are more then enough if you believe all the calculators online.

550 Watt are more then enough if you believe all the calculators online.

Theoretically yes. But then we might want to consider future upgrades. Difficult to say what sort of power requirements we will have in a few years to come. Then we have capacitor depredation to consider as the PSU ages. Finally, if we look at the cost, the difference between say a 550 watt PSU and a 650 Watt PSU is rather small these days.

But yes, if on a budget 550 watts will do.

I have a 6700K running 4.80Ghz 24/7 (no speedstep) with a Corsair H110i and in P3D / FSX with nearly all 4 cores pinned it barely breaks 65c. Running OCCT or a burn test temps are higher but that's not real world load conditions. I am plenty happy at 4.80 and 65c stable. 

Hey Angelo,

would you mind giving more details about your UEFI settings for the overclocking?

Thanks a lot!

Hi guys,

This will be my final config.

Intel i7 6700k

CM Hyper 212 Evo (offer with Mobo)

MSI Z170A Krait Game

4x8GB Kingston DDR4 2400Mhz HyperX Fury Black

SSD OCZ Trion 240GB Sata III

SSD OCZ Trion 240GB Sata III

HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU XFX XTR 650W Modular 80+ Gold

EVGA GeForce GTX970 SC ACX2.0 4GB DDR5

CM Mastercase Pro 5

Final price almost 1600€

32GB of Ram ins't too much?

All this system will be conected to a Philips LED 50" and i have Saytek X55 and rudder pedals! :)

Regards

NEW BUILD in process:

You may find it easier to OC 16GB DDR4 and find stability.  Unless you plan to do video editing there will be not much benefit to 32GB over 16GB ... 16GB is about the minimum.  

I'm a strong believer in quad channel setups myself, not a big fan of the 6700k as it has a small cache (8MB) and has integrated graphics which is wasted/not used.

Is the Philips 50" a 4k monitor?

Cheers, Rob.

You may find it easier to OC 16GB DDR4 and find stability.  Unless you plan to do video editing there will be not much benefit to 32GB over 16GB ... 16GB is about the minimum.  

I'm a strong believer in quad channel setups myself, not a big fan of the 6700k as it has a small cache (8MB) and has integrated graphics which is wasted/not used.

Is the Philips 50" a 4k monitor?

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, i will go for 16gb. Later if i need more i'll do an upgrade.

The Phillips 50" ins't 4k, only FHD.

Cheers,

NEW BUILD in process:

Quad channel? You’re obviously referring to Haswell-E systems as Skylake based systems only have dual channel architecture. My understanding is that if you put 4 modules into a Z170 board they are just used as 2 sets of dual channel RAM. With regards to amount needed, Maximum PC magazine had an interesting article recently about RAM and their conclusion was that most modern games run well with 8Gb of RAM, 16Gb is good if you're video editing or rendering and at 32Gb you're starting to get into server territory. I'd go for 16Gb (2 x 8Gb dual-channel modules) in a new Skylake build.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit