Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

ASN fps drop in dense clouds.

Do the number of cloud layers stick to P3D after setting a value in ASN? Maybe that might explain why even without running ASN the fps hit remains. Like someone above said the problem was solved for him when he set cloud layers to 1.

I have very strange results with changing numbers of cloud layers while in sim. 60fps with 5 layers, changed to 3 get 70fps, then to 1, fps stayed the same, and to 0 - clouds are still there and fps went down back to 60! This is for X-Files.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I have very strange results with changing numbers of cloud layers while in sim. 60fps with 5 layers, changed to 3 get 70fps, then to 1, fps stayed the same, and to 0 - clouds are still there and fps went down back to 60! This is for X-Files.

I'm set at 33 fps, so not getting that however I have been having popcorn type clouds,, change the cloud layer back to 1 , all ok again.

very odd, in fact changing from up 3,4 and 5 all appear to work again. so there must be a fault with the default layer of 5 on the initial install of 5921.

frame rates did drop in the overcast conditions from my normal 32-33 down to 20's.

bob

ps did delete the Shaders file on install of ASN ( I think this noted in the install instructions)

It's ASN I did man tests with and without asn and with and without sgss

I set 4xsgss and set up p3d user defined weather with thick dense clouds and no impact at all with Rex clouds.

Maintaining 30fps

Asn latest build is the culprit in my opinion

Hope this is addressed soon

Cheers

Mike

It's ASN I did man tests with and without asn and with and without sgss

I set 4xsgss and set up p3d user defined weather with thick dense clouds and no impact at all with Rex clouds.

Asn latest build is the culprit in my opinion

Hope this is addressed soon

Cheers

Mike

Yes.. tried today in SLSU at 13:15z to takeoff from rwy05 and is totally imposible to fly with tremendous stutters. Someone (or ASN or REX) made a big fail here.

Here setting the layers of clouds to cero didn't help at all.

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

Any of you guys heard back from HIFI?

I submitted a ticket and waiting patiently.

cheers

Mike

Further to my post ( #47) just done a test, flew up and down uk with present overcast weather and apart from problem with cloud layer (as noted above //#47) it went well, few frame drops in heavy cloud,  not running Rex soft clouds at the moment ( since I did a fresh install of 3.2.3 )

asn ver 5921

bob

Tried to go back to ASN ver 5913 and maybe I had less issues, but still drops sometimes... so I think the problem comes from there maybe, because in P3Dv3.1 didn't have any issue.

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

Check line 311 of the cloud.fx file in the ShadersHLSL and see what the values are for

GETSCREENQUADPOSITIONS

If they are both at .67 change them to .50 and then rebuild shaders and try again. .50 is default from LM.

This is the change REX put in to reduce the popcorn cloud issue but I have a feeling it impacting fps.

I don't have the issue because I backed up my cloud.fx before I installed soft clouds because I knew they modified the file then overwrote the file they modified with the original.

Sean Green

Check line 311 of the cloud.fx file in the ShadersHLSL and see what the values are for

GETSCREENQUADPOSITIONS

If they are both at .67 change them to .50 and then rebuild shaders and try again. .50 is default from LM.

This is the change REX put in to reduce the popcorn cloud issue but I have a feeling it impacting fps.

I don't have the issue because I backed up my cloud.fx before I installed soft clouds because I knew they modified the file then overwrote the file they modified with the original.

If this was the case I would have the same issue with using idler define weather setting with dense clouds correct ? Which I am maintaining 30fps in dense clouds

That would make sense yes. I noticed the fps drop also after the REX sp and was confused until I understood what they did. Returned original and all is good.

It helped me and I'm using the latest ASN without issue. Learned to back these files up since ORBX loves to modify core files.

Sean Green

GETSCREENQUADPOSITIONS

I have great performance in clouds 40 plus ASN with 5 layers and full overcast, but I'm not allowing REX to change the value in the shader file.

Because it will drag down your performance with 7 or more FPS in heavy overcast...

Make sure indeed when you revert back to default .50 to rebuild the shaders and your performance is back ;-)

André

That would make sense yes. I noticed the fps drop also after the REX sp and was confused until I understood what they did. Returned original and all is good.

It helped me and I'm using the latest ASN without issue. Learned to back these files up since ORBX loves to modify core files.

I have 2 cloud fx files should I have?

Cloud

Cloud2

Disregard found I and changed both values to 050

Saved and deleted shaders

Testing now

Just the cloud.fx not cloud2.

If you do change you need to delete the shaders and let them rebuild.

Sean Green

Mate thank you very much for your help.

Working flawlessly now.

Now I gather the values will change again if you reset Rex textures or will it stay saved?

Cheers

Mike

I think if you install cloud texture from REX4 again, it will change back to 0.67. That's why I copy cloud texture manually from \REX Texture Direct\textures\Clouds\Cumulus\ folder.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.