Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Moving maps for tablets?

Don't forget Garmin Pilot. Quite expensive but for the US it's the best IMO. Works great with any sim. Setup is a breeze. Finally, there is SkyDemon, very good but geared at the European market.

Does Garmin Pilot sync your tablet to pc/p3d? I only want apps that will give me a moving map of a simulator flight that are wifi linked to my tablet.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Thanks, downloade on tablet and installed but cannot see how to connect to p3d through wifi.

Hey Paul,

It's been a while since I used AVARE (but I do love it) as I have three monitors and use the Avilasoft EFB instead.  But I believe all you need is the I/O plugin.  Here is the LINK.

You might also check out this helpful page... HERE.

I'll ask a Pilot friend who introduced me to AVARE to chime in here as he knows FAR more about this than I do.

Best wishes my friend.

Edited by DaveCT2003

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Evening,

AVARE is a great app for aviation, during my flights it proved to be a great tool if your tablet has a built in GPS (The Galaxy TAB 3 built in GPS proved to be useful below 11,000ft before it lost its signal) as it shows your aircraft position with great accuracy along the enoute (IFR or VFR) and approach plates and includes a timer for holds or LOC approaches along with the ground charts to help with your taxi and all charts are updated and correct to match Jeppesen ect...

However it has its limitations (expected given as its free)...

There is a I/O plugin that (in theory) connects the app to the Flight Simulator, however I have yet to get a fully successful connection that shows the aircraft along the IFR Low/High or VFR area charts or approach plates, the full system does have some enroute charts for the world but its restricted to the US for current approach/departure plates.

You also need to be sure you have enough storage on your device for the downloads ( My own Tab 3 includes 8gb of built in memory but I had to put another 8gb via a SD card to have enough capacity just to have the US (no EU or Canada).

Just for FS flying I would stick to something along the lines of the Avialsoft EFB, there are some moving map apps on the Google play store for Android (cant tell you about Apple) but they are more basic and don't include any app charts.

​I will of course continue to use AVARE whenever I fly into the US in the real world but I dont use it for the Sim.

The link below will show you a example of a moving map for use with a flight Simulator

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.connect.MovMap

All the best

G Sproson

Don't forget Garmin Pilot. Quite expensive but for the US it's the best IMO. Works great with any sim. Setup is a breeze. Finally, there is SkyDemon, very good but geared at the European market.

Have you gotten Garmin Pilot connected to P3D? I haven't seen any way to do it, other than a company that sells a cable for a ridiculous amount of money. I have gotten ForeFlight connected via a program called FSXFlight, which works like a charm over my home network.

• Upvote 1

I have gotten ForeFlight connected via a program called FSXFlight, which works like a charm over my home network.

I also use ForeFlight and while it can be pricey for the full monty (it's a yearly subscription), it's simply a fantastic product for charts, moving map, flight planning, wx, etc.  It is a VERY professional, RW package, and generally considered the gold standard for RW use.  I connect it to FSX with a freeware program called FlightSimGPS which works flawlessly.

However...  ForeFLight is only available on the iPad, and I believe the OP is on an Android tablet.

Scott

Yes andriod. For the features and price I think FS-FlightControl is the one if I can get it to do a solid connection. I am very impressed with the developer and his quick response both here and email to my questions.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

FS-FlightControl appears to be an interesting application. I've installed the trial and had no problems getting it to run with my P3D3.2 (on the same computer). However it seems to introduce a slight stutters with an interval of 1 sec (which is the default update frequency for this program).

If Andreas is still reading .. any ideas how to fix this? I can run similar programs (Aivlasoft EFB, Plan-G) without introducing the stutters. FS-FlightControl has some nifty features, and it would be great to get it working stutter-free.

Hello Gunther,

first thanks for your interest in our product!  :smile:

You see the small stutters in Prepar3D or in FS-FlightControl?

Although we do recommend to run it on a separate computer where possible, it should work fine on the same computer as the flight simulator as well.

You could try to play around a bit with the map update frequency in the program settings, but we will also do some tests on our side again regarding this.

Best regards

Andreas

Thanks Andreas. It's P3D that has the stutters. If I increase the update frequency the stutters just get that new interval. Much longer than 1 sec kind of defeats the purpose of your program though. I will try and run it from a separate computer, but as I said, similar programs like EFB are running fine on the same computer.

FWIW I know of other people who had similar issues with Aivlasoft EFB, and from memory they were Simconnect related.

Thanks for this info, Gunther!

We currently get a major update ready (should be released today) and we'll do some tests regarding these stutters then within the next days.

Best regards and thanks again for your interest in FS-FlightControl

Andreas

Maybe have the software let us select a certain cpu core to run the program like the Flight1 GTN does.

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Don't mean to change the subject, but what kind of throttles is WebMaximus using....his picture

Don't mean to change the subject, but what kind of throttles is WebMaximus using....his picture

It's the normal Saitek Throttle Quadrant where I replaced the handles that comes with the product with more realistic handles bought from here.

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg