Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Floor

KLM 777 Cockpit Tales: Landing in Quito

Very interesting video by KLM showing an approach to Quito on the 777

Have a look at how awesome the flight simulator scenary looks! It's light years away from what I've seen in all Full Flight Simulators I've had the chance to fly. Usually the terrain you see is of blurried greens and browns (the mesh, which is what matters ultimately, is accurate though).

I asked the following questions:

- Do you disconnect the GPWS to avoid annoying terrain messages in final? From what we see in the video it looks like they don't, maybe not required for Quito.

- If 144 is the Vapp for Quito, what would be the Vapp for Amsterdam at the same weight?

- Autobrakes 4 will provide a very high deceleration rate. Would 3 be enough really and 4 is used for extra "caution"?

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I dont see any reason the ref speed would be any different in amsterdam at the same weight. It would only change if the atmospheric conditions are different.

Just watched the video and realized why you asked that question. The captain explained it the same way i did.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

So, KLM included footage from the upcoming DTG Flight Simulator.... Great!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

In the avsim library

north_central_ecuador_v2.zip

A good representation of the airport and surrounding area.

You need a good mesh too. Freemeshx in their avsim forum

In the sim I never get terrain warnings

-David Lee

Very interesting video by KLM showing an approach to Quito on the 777

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh4MYnxubqA

Have a look at how awesome the flight simulator scenary looks! It's light years away from what I've seen in all Full Flight Simulators I've had the chance to fly. Usually the terrain you see is of blurried greens and browns (the mesh, which is what matters ultimately, is accurate though).

I asked the following questions:

- Do you disconnect the GPWS to avoid annoying terrain messages in final? From what we see in the video it looks like they don't, maybe not required for Quito.

- If 144 is the Vapp for Quito, what would be the Vapp for Amsterdam at the same weight?

- Autobrakes 4 will provide a very high deceleration rate. Would 3 be enough really and 4 is used for extra "caution"?

Vapp would still be 144 as that is based on indicated airspeed. True airspeed would be much higher at quito cause of the altitude, as would the groundspeed unless you had major headwinds. I did a md11f landing at the old quito airport in fsx at Mlw, with no wind, and my vapp was 168, but my groundspeed was around 188! Lol.

~William Genovese~

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg         KAB200_sig3.jpg

Vapp would still be 144 as that is based on indicated airspeed. True airspeed would be much higher at quito cause of the altitude, as would the groundspeed unless you had major headwinds. I did a md11f landing at the old quito airport in fsx at Mlw, with no wind, and my vapp was 168, but my groundspeed was around 188! Lol.

Exactly. So why do they say anything? They meant Ground Speed one must deduce.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Yeah, they just mean that they have to pay extra attention since the approach phases of flight will happen a lot quicker. Also, AB4 might be used to make the rollout about the same length as using AB2 at sea level, although it's easier to overheat brakes in thinner air. Maybe they have a long turn- around time for cool down

~William Genovese~

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg         KAB200_sig3.jpg