I've been using Microsoft Flight Simulator since 1984 when the Apple IIC version came out. After installing FSX a couple years ago I've been taking of and landing hundreds of time in my PMDG-747 with absolutely no problem. A couple weeks ago I installed the FSX-SE version and suddenly I'm missing all of my ILS approaches; each and every one is lining up the aircraft at the left of every airport in any condition of weather, it also show the route line in a slanted position in the navigation panel (it never align with the plane); even if I set wind manually to 0 knots and perfect conditions. I know exactly how to set up the waypoints and ILS approaches on the FMC, since I've been doing it for years. The problem seems to be the Steam Edition in which I don't know how to fix this issue. I'm considering to return to my out-of-the-box FSX Gold Edition; but the reason why I've installed the SE edition is because it fix some video graphic problems with FSX out-of-the-box on Windows 10 64 bits. Any help will be very well appreciated.

David Quinn

Follow these steps from PMDG on how to fix. The most important part is step 1. Usually step 1 will fix it alone.

This is definitely caused by the magnetic variation thing. I've fixed the issue myself several times using these steps:

With FSX shut down:

1. Go to C:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX - delete the Facilities and SceneryIndexes folders you see there.

2. Download the Flight 1 registry repair tool at http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library right click it and choose Run as Administrator (this is very important, I have seen it fail to fix the issue if it's run with normal user permissions) Select the FSX option and point it to your FSX.exe file.

3. Run FSX - it will rebuild the Facility data and Scenery Indexes and you should be set.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This is interesting.  Anyone know why this happens with a few people and not the vast majority?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

This is interesting. Anyone know why this happens with a few people and not the vast majority?

Hard to say but it could depend on how much scenery you have installed and how often you deactivate active sceneries, install new sceneries, or uninstall sceneries. I'd imagine the more you force the scenery index cache to rebuild the higher the chance you have of this happening. Everytime you change something with your sceneries it will rebuilt the scenery index cache, just like shader caches.

I rebuild my scenery indexes from time to time to keep especially if I have been adding or removing lots of sceneries.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Follow these steps from PMDG on how to fix. The most important part is step 1. Usually step 1 will fix it alone.

Thanks very much Jim for your kind reply; I'm working on it; I'll let you know the results. I would hate having to reinstall everything again.