Sign in to follow this  
talentless

Performance problem with wind turbine farms on simheaven world2xplane

Hello all

As title says, I am having performance problems with wind turbine farms on the america simheaven world2xplane scenery.

First I had it with a farm close to KPSP. I edited the corresponding DSF with WED (had to use an old version, as the current one would give me a validation error). I found in the area hundreds of wind turbines using an animated object from opensceneryX. All these object references are defined to show for the default setting of number of objects. Not surprised i had performance problems. I changed 80% of them to show only to insane number of objects and that kind of solved the problem.

I had the same problem near KSFO. But this time importing 37-121.dsf where I beleive it is located crashes any version of WED or the overlay editor.

Also, i have the feeling that being this a widely used package scenery but finding almost no other reports on this, that i might be looking at a different issue. But clearly the performance problems appear as soon as the turbine farms come into view and go away as they come out of view. Seems to be fairly isolated to this circumstance. Any help appreciated.

Also, i have the feeling that being this a widely used package scenery but finding almost no other reports on this, that i might be looking at a different issue. But clearly the performance problems appear as soon as the turbine farms come into view and go away as they come out of view. Seems to be fairly isolated to this circumstance. Any help appreciated.

Having just flown a bunch in Southern Alberta, I can safely say that there doesn't seem to be any noticeable impact from the wind turbines in that area, using simHeaven W2XP.  During my glider flights out of Cowley, I noticed that W2XP added a lot of turbines, but perhaps not as many as KPSP?

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I don't think the windfarms would cause a huge drop in performance. In my Denmark scenery there are thousands of the them all over the country and out at sea and they have no noticable effect on the framerate

Hi,

I had fps drop too, near san fransico bay . Taking off from klvk, and looking toward the bay (more or less toward west I think), there is a huge field of wind turbines on a hill.

Using w2xp too.

------------------

Guillaume CHARRIER

Are you sure it's not actually the city of San Francisco causing the frame hit? It's not always obvious what causes it, and even if the city is out of visible range it can still cause a huge hit as it is loaded in. If you believe it is the wind turbines then your only option is to regenerate the area without them

The data import for the area is fairly recent and it might not have been in Simheaven's last scenery. LA County is also experiencing a huge growth in data so I expect the same thing to happen here as well.

KPSP windfarms brought my otherwise sturdy system down as well. I guess there are just too many of them, it's huge. (One of the reasons I don't use W2XP anymore: You never know what FPS killer is waiting around the corner :)

Best

Flo

Hello

Farm into view:

http://imgur.com/IUFlE0L

Now, the effect is more dramatic further out as I fit more turbines into view.

Farm out of view:

http://imgur.com/fRdtTMD

Location KSFO area:

http://imgur.com/CcaL16D

Close up, looks like there are too many:

http://imgur.com/v0UWqtq

There is no problem on being a lot of them. The problem comes when you cannot adjust to your system capacity because all the turbines are set to show with the default number of objects selected in settings, no difference between default to insane.

If I were to use the tool, would I have the option to generate the scenery with all the turbines distributed among different number of objects setting, or would I have to remove them all? Any ideas why we cannot just edit the scenery to change this property (WED crashes)? Is it  a possibility that as the number of objects reflected in OSM info increases, we can be hitting some kind of limit in WED?

Thanks!

Wow I eat my own words above, that's some messed up data and I'm not surprised that it kills performance. The issue is that the wind turbines are configured in the scenery to show even at low settings because they are important VFR landmarks, but something has gone iffy with the data in OSM

WED probably won't open the scenery, and the only thing I can think of is to edit the DSF file by hand by using DSFTool and a text editor or fix the tagging in OSM or the W2XP config and generate that one tile again. If someone wants to send me that one DSF file I can give it a go

Well, that's a great tip. The file is +37-122.dsf from simheaven latest america package. It has 4712 wind turbines defined (such as OBJECT 661 -121.691918441 37.747468910 0.000000). Unclear to me now if it is possible through this text file to specify on a per object basis the minimum number of objects setting that is required for it to show, or if it is a matter of removing quasi-duplicates.

I tried to reach the simheaven author through x-plane.org but got no answer. I guess that it would be just better to find out the root cause than fix it case by case. 

Wowsers, that's a whole lot of green energy being produced there! :wink:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Here is the DSF File without the turbines -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrczpqyk3v7e7o4/%2B37-122.dsf?dl=0

The object density can be changed, but to do this it would require editing the PROPERTY sim/require_object 1/639 section at the top of the file and then shifting all the number indices round. However I've not bothered because the data is clearly messed up. If someone can find this area inside OSM and see if they can work out what's happened then that might help for the cut of the scenery (Or you can generate it yourself)

Tony, thanks for your work in providing a fixed DSF file!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Hi Any chance that file is still available by any chance... Was flying VFR in VR yesterday night... landing at KPSP and my fps went down to the knees ...12 fps ... I almost puked on the desk :D

If there's any other workaround to fix this, would be great.

Cheers

I am developing a completely new scenery that among many improvements, handles this particular issue.  The problem is that the SimHeaven scenery uses animated objects as well as assigning a high priority to 1000's of turbines.  I mark as low priority, 1/3 are not animated and 1/3 are blank objects.

Release expected in the next 2 weeks: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/105685-usa-west-real-life-development-on-final/

I am developing a completely new scenery that among many improvements, handles this particular issue.  The problem is that the SimHeaven scenery uses animated objects as well as assigning a high priority to 1000's of turbines.  I mark as low priority, 1/3 are not animated and 1/3 are blank objects.

Release expected in the next 2 weeks: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/105685-usa-west-real-life-development-on-final/

Thanks a lot!