Sign in to follow this  
francispattugalan

ASN as a weather engine for REX 4 Texture Direct with soft clouds

ASN, to me , is the Gold standard for a weather injector. Everything else is lacking . 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

No issues using ASN with REX TD soft clouds ... makes a great combo.  Be sure to get the latest ASN update B5926 here.  This will solve FPS issues in some weather situations that ASN depicits ... make sure multi-layer visibility is unchecked.  Be very careful with REX TD cloud size adjustment settings ... if you have FPS issues stick with a size of 0.50 (default).

Sorry if this has already been covered, have been away for a little.

Cheers, Rob.

No issues using ASN with REX TD soft clouds ... makes a great combo.  Be sure to get the latest ASN update B5926 here.  This will solve FPS issues in some weather situations that ASN depicits ... make sure multi-layer visibility is unchecked.  Be very careful with REX TD cloud size adjustment settings ... if you have FPS issues stick with a size of 0.50 (default).

Sorry if this has already been covered, have been away for a little.

Cheers, Rob.

I see the soft clouds and texture direct have two settings, 32 bit and DXt5. Do you see a big difference between the two? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Do you see a big difference between the two? 

No, a few less "long frames" with 32bit ... it'll depend on one's GPU and also how much VRAM they have on the GPU.  In theory, DXT5 should provide better performance since one is operating on less data, but in real world implementation that might not be the case given GPU optimization/drivers.  But I haven't done extensive testing on the formats.

Cheers, Rob.

No, a few less "long frames" with 32bit ... it'll depend on one's GPU and also how much VRAM they have on the GPU.  In theory, DXT5 should provide better performance since one is operating on less data, but in real world implementation that might not be the case give GPU optimization/drivers.  But I haven't done extensive testing on the formats.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks,

I found and installed the Hotfix that combines Soft Clouds with Texture Direct last night. Now all settings are in one place.  http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/38512-rex-4-texture-direct-soft-cloud-intergration-6/

I switched my settings in Soft Clouds-Texture Direct from 32 bit to DXt5, and I can't detect any difference in the look of the clouds, they still look great. 

HI guys

anyone else have noticed asn live weather mode depicting lightning in broken or no clouds?

cheers

Mike

HI guys

anyone else have noticed asn live weather mode depicting lightning in broken or no clouds?

cheers

Mike

Sometimes.

I switched my settings in Soft Clouds-Texture Direct from 32 bit to DXt5, and I can't detect any difference in the look of the clouds, they still look great.

Here's an interesting discussion regarding the difference between compressed 8 bpp DXT5 and uncompressed 32 bpp, from the A2A forum:

https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=45107