The 1080 may be available by the end of the month but only the reference design from nVidia. Volume cards from good names like evga might take awhile longer.

I read the first tests today as the "embargo" by Nvidia was withdrawn by Nvidia today.

They say indeed that the "Reference Design" aka "Founders Edition" lacks a good cooling and is quite noisy.

They also wrote that cooling is responsible that the frequency of the GPU is tuned down in some games.

So I will wait for the EVGA or ASUS OC version of the 1080.

Edit: Here are some Benchmarks of the 1080. They are in German, but the charts speak for themselves.

http://www.computerbase.de/2016-05/geforce-gtx-1080-test/7/

$2000 isn't a lot.It's pretty standard for a reasonable PC.

That depends on whether you keep your existing peripherals (monitor/mouse/keyboard/speakers etc), and also if you need a top end graphics card. My last PC cost me around £900 (case and all components), and it is more than powerful enough for a single monitor user like me.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well yes, I was referring to a complete build, high end, with graphics card. Obviously costs can be cut dramatically if you're using components you already have and settle for a less capable graphics card.

In my case it 's a complete build, monitor, keyboard, mouse, the lot. Has to be because my son is having my Ivy Bridge rig. 

Most modern cases provide at least 1cm of space below the bottom vents which should provide more than enough airflow into the PSU.

Precisely! As I've already mentioned in my previous post. Now ask yourself a question. Where dose the air that passes through that "1cm gap" come from? That's right, it's drawn in from the inside of the case. And given that, in the case of my Lian Li, the vents at the bottom of the case are so restrictive that they can barely draw any air through, the majority of the air is being drawn in from inside the case... so what's the point? The PSU may as well be inverted.

I think you misunderstand my comment. The 1cm gap I refer to is the gap UNDER the case so air going into the PSU is coming from outside the case, not from the inside. The bottom (PSU) vent in my Phanteks case, including the filter, provides very little resistance to airflow and if it comes down to a choice of either cool air from outside of the case or warm air from inside, I know what I'll opt for to cool the PSU. Each to his/her own, of course.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I think you misunderstand my comment. The 1cm gap I refer to is the gap UNDER the case so air going into the PSU is coming from outside the case, not from the inside.

Oh right.

Obviously though, that gap isn't relevant if your vents are very restrictive... as mine are! As many manufactures vents are!  The gap I was referring to was beneath the PSU and above the enclosure floor. You must have one, all enclosures do! Now consider how much air passes through that gap from inside your case? You decide how much, it's enclosure specific.

The bottom (PSU) vent in my Phanteks case, including the filter, provides very little resistance to airflow 

"Very little resistance to airflow" you say...  I've looked at the Phanteks vents, they appear to be "fairly" open slots. Great stuff! Pity Lian Li don't do the same! Pity all case manufactures don't do the same!

Do understand though, that even fairly open slots are restrictive to some degree, they have to be unless we decide to ignore the laws of physics. 

if it comes down to a choice of either cool air from outside of the case or warm air from inside, I know what I'll opt for to cool the PSU.

Again you are overestimating the temperature of the air that's ingested into the PSU! Trust me, I've measured it with my infra-red thermometer, it's not excessive at all! It's not an issue! It hasn't been an issue for the decades this design has been implemented, it's not suddenly an issue now. Don't forget, we have bloody big fans blowing cool air in straight toward the PSU from the front of the enclosure. In my case 3 120 fans.

If you'd like definitive evidence, consider this... PSU fans are temperature controlled. My PSU fan barely ticks over. This is definitive evidence that ingesting air from inside the enclosure isn't an issue! If it were an issue, what do you think would happen? That's right, the PSU fan RPM would ramp up, it isn't!

All enclosure vent and filter system's MUST restrict air to some degree, your PSU temperature will increase accordingly, when it does, your PSU fan will increase it's RPM to compensate.

I put it to you that MY PSU fan RPM is no different to your PSU fan RPM. Once we take into consideration varying PSU specs of course. And thus... the somewhat warmer air my PSU ingests is no different to the temperature increase your PSU experiences as a result of having to suck air through vents and filters..

You seem to be lucky though, in that you have a fairly open vent design. Many aren't!

Each to his/her own, of course.

Well no, not really, it's not each to his own. It's not a random decision. I didn't take a drill to my very expensive enclosure just for fun. Again, the vents were VERY restrictive. If you peruse the Lian Li site and look at the vent design you will see what I mean.

The mistake you are making is making a judgement based on a sample size of ONE!. Namely your enclosure. Consider all enclosures, all manufactures, all designs.

To sum up, my point is that given that ingesting air from inside the enclose isn't an issue, as evidenced by PSU fan rpm reaming very low.... then there is no point at all in designing enclosures with bottom PSU vents.

However... there are many disadvantages...

Sparks and flames from a failing PSU igniting flammable material beneath.

Often the vents at the bottom of the enclosure don't align with the PSU fan. [My Lian Li vents don't] As PSU design varies.

All vent systems must restrict air to varying degrees.

Additional air filters are known to restrict airflow.

Manufactures are forced to compensate for restrictive vents and filters by raising the PSU off the enclosure floor, negating the purpose of bottom vents. 

Ok I'm closing on my final choices.

I'll go with the noctua for the cooling it looks very good an easy to install :)

As for the mother board, I'll probably go for a Gigabyte Z170-UDH3P, it is close in price with the Asus Z170-A, the main issue I have with that one, is that I'm not really sure the airflow would be very good with the only PCI slot just below the place where the dual slot graphic card will be, which would make litle space for air to get through the GPU ventirad. 

On this one the PCI slot ae at the bottom so it will be better I believe. Also my current build is based on a Z77x-UD5H which I've had no issue after four years so I'll be on the same kind of price and durability I believe.

As for the case I'll probably go for a Fractal Design R5 which looks pretty good, the form is simple, but I like also that the door could be removed, as on previous tower I had issue with my front bay for my x-fi which prevented closing the door.

I've not yet decided on the powersupply, smi modular looks good indeed, so far I'll need for what I plannedwith 4 SATA peripherals, the GPU 8 pins power cable, and the noctua should be supply through the usual motherboard pins.

I'll be waiting a bit more for choices other thant the founders edition to be availble, I'd probably go on an EVGA card too based on the 1080.

I'm not really sure the airflow would be very good with the only PCI slot just below the place where the dual slot graphic card will be, which would make litle space for air to get through the GPU ventirad. 

What are you planning to install in that PCI slot? There's another one lower down the board.

What are you planning to install in that PCI slot? There's another one lower down the board.

On the Asus Z170-A there is only one PCI slot right below where the GFX card will be as far as I can tell for the specs, there is not another port. On the gigabyte there are two indeeds though I only need one, but there location seems better as there are PCI-E slots that will be free.

I'll be installing my good old Creative X-Fi Plat1num. I wish I could change for a new card on PCI-E slot, unfortunately all their newer models have no Dolby/dts decoding anymore, encoding seems to always be there. I asked them if they had any products that could replace it, but the only suggestion was an external USB audio card, which I'm not really sure is as good. Unfortunately, it is not a low profile card, so it can be used with some cards that could convert PCI to PCI-E.

Asus on-board Crystal Sound 3 is very good you know. Not like on-board sound of old.

Asus on-board Crystal Sound 3 is very good you know. Not like on-board sound of old.

It might be good but I would lose DTS/Dolby decoding, that's why I'm keeping this card, also the front panel that goes into a bay, is very handy I can plug and manage headset there directly, not fidling behind the case, as well as controlling volume through knobs. All of this is pretty usefull. All of this linked to an as old but still doing as good 5.1 THX Logitech kit. Basically my computer also serves to play movies, or linked to consoles in this case the 5.1 sound comes through my soundcard, the DTS/Dolby can be decoded, and outputed to my 5.1 sound system.

Without it, well it would mean no more decoding for the Blu-Ray playing from the computer, and going back to stereao sound for consoles instead of 5.1. For all thes reasons I'm continuing this way. Also the sound card is still supported and has official Windows 10 drivers even though it is pretty old :)