Sign in to follow this  
KNOSSOS

Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA)

That's nothing! The last couple of air shows I went to with a simming friend, we found oursleves looking at the [real] clouds and saying "No ... not very realistic - a bit 'blobby'!" I even found a repeating texture (it was a Cirrus formation)!!! I think I need to get out more :wink: .

:smile: It is funny. But it's true

Hi, 

Is it possible to make clouds shadow darker then 0.5 ?  

it seems version 2 has a minimum of 0.5 

Thank you

Matter of fact I noticed that with version 2 my cloud shadows are not as dark, and it's 0.5 yet.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

Matter of fact I noticed that with version 2 my cloud shadows are not as dark, and it's 0.5 yet.

I wonder whether thats true!? I'm not disagreeing - I thought something similar but thought I was imagining things!

I find 0.52 to be plenty dark enough for me. Go any darker (IMHO) and you risk a very muddy landscape in cloudy conditions - as you've effectively covered the majority of the terrain with shadow (!).

Increasing overall contrast can help deepen things up a bit, if that's the way you want to go.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

I think cloud shadows are OK after all! Here's one taken at mid-day (so no shadowing from the terrain) with 0.51 as the shadow value:

clouds_051_1350.jpg

If anything, I'd say that's a tiny fraction too dark for my liking! I may just take it back towards my 20_06 value (0.63) ... maybe 0.55.

Does anyone have any ideas why I'm experiencing brightness mismatch between "world" textures and any custom airport scenery? The airport is virtually untouched by PTA tweaks:

3jvUyGe.png

I'd guess that the airport base texture is photo-real - and maybe hasn't the full set of seasons. Try a different season and see if anything changes. What airport is it? I'll take a look.

Adam.

I'm late to the party, but wanted to thank the author for this great tool.

I've been really enjoying the ride.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Does anyone have any ideas why I'm experiencing brightness mismatch between "world" textures and any custom airport scenery? The airport is virtually untouched by PTA tweaks:

3jvUyGe.png

Probably because you have tweaked landclass brightness and saturation. Photoscenery won't be affected by this.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I need help, think I´ve done something wrong here with the original shader files:

I´ve just created a new PTA 2.0 profile, wanted to apply the preset, but:

ERROR applying preset: source file C:\Users\Flusi\Downloads\PTA2.0\SHADERS_BACKUP\Cloud.fx is not original Prepar3D shader
ERROR applying preset: source file C:\Users\Flusi\Downloads\PTA2.0\SHADERS_BACKUP\General.fx is not original Prepar3D shader
ERROR applying preset: source file C:\Users\Flusi\Downloads\PTA2.0\SHADERS_BACKUP\GPUTerrain.fx is not original Prepar3D shader
ERROR applying preset: source file C:\Users\Flusi\Downloads\PTA2.0\SHADERS_BACKUP\FuncLibrary.fxh is not original Prepar3D shader
ERROR applying preset: source file C:\Users\Flusi\Downloads\PTA2.0\SHADERS_BACKUP\GPUTerrain.fxh is not original Prepar3D shader
ERROR applying preset: source file C:\Users\Flusi\Downloads\PTA2.0\SHADERS_BACKUP\PostProcess\HDR.hlsl is not original Prepar3D shader
ERROR applying preset: source file C:\Users\Flusi\Downloads\PTA2.0\SHADERS_BACKUP\PostProcess\FXAAResolve.hlsl is not original Prepar3D shader

I thought I did backup those files, but when I hit "restore original P3D shaders":

ERROR: backup of shader file C:\Users\Flusi\Downloads\PTA2.0\SHADERS_BACKUP\Cloud.fx is not original Prepar3D shader and can't be restored
ERROR: backup of shader file C:\Users\Flusi\Downloads\PTA2.0\SHADERS_BACKUP\General.fx is not original Prepar3D shader and can't be restored
ERROR: backup of shader file C:\Users\Flusi\Downloads\PTA2.0\SHADERS_BACKUP\GPUTerrain.fx is not original Prepar3D shader and can't be restored
ERROR: backup of shader file C:\Users\Flusi\Downloads\PTA2.0\SHADERS_BACKUP\FuncLibrary.fxh is not original Prepar3D shader and can't be restored
ERROR: backup of shader file C:\Users\Flusi\Downloads\PTA2.0\SHADERS_BACKUP\GPUTerrain.fxh is not original Prepar3D shader and can't be restored
ERROR: backup of shader file C:\Users\Flusi\Downloads\PTA2.0\SHADERS_BACKUP\PostProcess\HDR.hlsl is not original Prepar3D shader and can't be restored
ERROR: backup of shader file C:\Users\Flusi\Downloads\PTA2.0\SHADERS_BACKUP\PostProcess\FXAAResolve.hlsl is not original Prepar3D shader and can't be restored

What shall I do now?

What shall I do now?

It looks like a bug in PTA 2.0. 

Have you update PTA to latest 2.01 (bug fixed) ?

Adamski_NZ, that's Justsim LEBL Barcelona 1.2, but I'm experiencing same issues with almost every custom scenery I have, except Justsim LOWI Innsbruck - possibly because this scenery includes not just an airport, but a whole city.

simmerhead, by "landclass brightness and saturation" you mean "terrain lightning" (PTA 2.0) or "terrain ambient/diffuse sunlight" (PTA 1.6)? Then yes, I've tweaked these. Is there a way one can achieve similar results without touching these sliders, maybe with some post-processing settings?

It looks like a bug in PTA 2.0. 

Have you update PTA to latest 2.01 (bug fixed) ?

Thank you very much Knossos, that was the trick! I wasn´t aware of the new update.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.