Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

C-130 has been released

Guest JTEK99

>Not impressed so far....>>Got the 'tried three time, so sod off for an hour' message>first time I entered the register code. Not third time, but>first time.>So now I'm stuck waiting to be able to register it.Just try setting your system clock (in Windows task tray, lower right) to one hour or so *ahead*. It's worked for many so far; don't ask why. :)Hope it helps.

Got it to go eventually.Just kept trying every 5 mins and then it worked.Definately not an hour later though.Could be that the 'three tries and you're out' message is getting displayed instead of some kind kind of 'failed to phone home, try again in a bit' message.Once it's installed it looks superb, and is full of things to click and prod (will do that maunual reading stuff before the next flight).It's just annoying to be locked out of a download you just bought.Particularly when you just have enough time to install it and drool over it before the misery that is know is as 'work in the morning' forces you to bed.the lack of a forum is annoying as well, as so many of the items posted in threads like this could be simple 'oh yes, just do this...' posts on a Captain Sim forum.Come on Captain Sim - you need a tech support forum at least. They ain't hard to do.

>What I don't get is why AVSIM is allowing these many CS>threads to exist in a general-purpose forum when most other>payware develoeprs have to have their own dedicated forum?>Given the small issues with the latest release that are>consuming so much time I can see that we need a dedicated CS>forum, whether CS like it or not. >>>>>>>AllcottI for one am very grateful to Avsim for allowing discussions about products, whether they have a forum of their own, or not!I always thought forums (fori?) such as this are for the FS enthusiasts to discuss the latest and the greatest products or news. Granted I wouldn't want this thread to become an actual support forum, but I see nothing wrong with my fellow Flight Simmers sharing their thoughts and experiences and even tips on running a complicating simulation.That said, I am against all of the repetitive bashing and whining about the same old subject. If you don't like the product, or the the company, just say so once and be over with it. I don't need to see the same names with the same posts, over and over again. Pete S.

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

Guest shazapis

Hi all,I have read through this (and other relevant) threads with great interest.I think some very valid points have been made, although there are some posts I find unesseserily critical about this airplane simulation.So, here is my opinion on it.BTW, I am a current C-130 captain flying for the Hellenic (Greek) airforce, having more than 2500 hrs on the controls. I have been actively involved in beta testing, having reported back to CS on the two betas I received. I know nothing about a third beta version, but I am perfectly comfortable with the fact that there might have been one I did not get. The way I see it, my job as a beta tester is to HELP the developers with what they need. I do not feel I have any special right to receive anything more than what they need to send me in support of that.Anyway, down to bussiness:1. (the hot issue :-) ). How well does it fly - how does it compares to the real thing? It flies great. It trully manages to convey the -feeling- of flying a Herc. Is it accurate down to the last knot of stall speed? I have no idea. I could find out I guess, but why would I want to? This is entertainment software, not a full motion sim (even they leave a lot to be desired in the fidelity of the performance model as anyone with actual experience can tell you). So, if you worry about unrealistic performance - don't.2. Is it accurate in modelling aircraft systems? It is VERY close. It is NEITHER a real life Hercules, nor a CBT (Computer Based Training) device. Anyone who thinks he can get a C130 CBT for $51 needs to run a querry through google for such available market offerings. So, yes, the ESS AC bus will only power the No2 fuel booster pump on the real plane, not all of them as in CS's plane. But, trully, is this important to anyone other than me and the rest of the (very experienced) beta team that pointed such things out? Having experience in the real thing does not make one an expert in developing enterteinment software and, most importantly, marketing it succesfully to the GENERAL PUBLIC. Also, are you guys certain that you even want an 100% accurate rendition of the C-130 systems? Keep in mind that this is a VERY complex piece of hardware that needs a crew of 5 to operate. I, for one, am very happy with the level of complexity CS's plane includes. It really feels like operating a Herc, but it manages to keep the "fun" factor high as well. Doing a 5 person job on my own during my spare time is not exactly my idea of fun. So, if systems fidelity is one of your worries - buy it.3. Will someone be able to operate the real thing after becoming VERY VERY experienced with CS's plane? I do not think anyone in his right mind would ever hope to actually sit in a Herc crew seat in flight without someone qualified at the controls. Flying an aircraft of this class requires many, many years of study, practice and commitment that one can only devote to a task that brings food on the table. So, do not even think about it unless you're 18 and looking for a career in the AF. On the other hand, being experienced in a complex simulation like CS's C130 can certainly get you to a point where you will be able to have an educated discussion with a real life herc pilot (even impress him!) and to a point where if you ever get to fly as a passenger you will be able to stay in touch and follow procedures along as the crew executes them.4. How does it look? I think everyone here (ever the ones that critisized it the most) will agree that visually this is second to none. This is where CS always excels.5. Is it perfect upon release? Saddly, not. On the other hand I have yet to see any software item (especially in the FS addon bussiness) that does not need patching at some point. I have every confidence, based on my experience with their B727, that CS will spare no effort in fixing every issue we have (and I do have some myself). 6. How's their support? I have no idea. I had no real issues with their B727, so I never needed support. I do feel (strongly) that they should open a support forum but, then again, it is their business and they have every right to run it as they seem fit. If I felt this was very important, I would have kept my money, as I have every right to. 7. So, should I go (online :-) ) and buy it? This is a (hopefully informed) decision you will have to make. For me, the answer is a definite YES. The fun I get out of this airplane vastly outweights any problems I have (for most of them I have managed to find workarounds anyway, or I can ignore them until they get fixed with a patch).One last thing I need to say. I thing that at the very least CS should be appreciated for the fact that they decided to deviate from the "mass market" safety of developing just another airliner (as most other major developers do) an go for a plane so different and so interesting as the C130. I have been involved in flightsiming for quite some time now (since the early '90s) and to be honest I am getting a bit borred of all the B7xx and A3xx varieties that seem to have flooded the market. I did need to try something different (a herc, a C5 or just a... sailplane!) and CS has given me this opportunity with their C130.Just my opinion on the matter...Spiros HazapisAthens, GreeceC130 AC (HAF)Beta tester for CS C130.PS/ I am not a native English speaker so I do appologize for any spelling or grammar mistakes I have done.

Guest SaVas

>Well, that got you removed from our forums.It is good to see Tom, that there is some enforcement here when it comes to such "Yahoo messageboard posting style people"

Guest allcott

>I for one am very grateful to Avsim for allowing discussions>about products, whether they have a forum of their own, or>not!>I always thought forums (fori?) such as this are for the FS>enthusiasts to discuss the latest and the greatest products or>news. >Granted I wouldn't want this thread to become an actual>support forum, but I see nothing wrong with my fellow Flight>Simmers sharing their thoughts and experiences and even tips>on running a complicating simulation.>That said, I am against all of the repetitive bashing and>whining about the same old subject. If you don't like the>product, or the the company, just say so once and be over with>it. I don't need to see the same names with the same posts,>over and over again. >>Pete S.I'm not saying that Avsim shouldn't allow CS posts here. Just that the issues have more than enough posts to justify a separate forum. And if the community users at Avsim want it, it would make sense to have a CS forum hosted here, surely? It should make no difference to Avsim, as the posts would be here anyway, just in their own forum where they would be easier for people to find and track. We already have several different C-130 threads running at the same time. but the warnings about the way these people do business have long since slipped onto page 56 or whatever, and with a new generation of customers comes even more need to constantly remind people who they are dealing with.That said, if you don't want the repetitive bashing, the thing to do is to assist in persuading CS to follow acceptable behaviour and to listen to the community. Jaap has told you what happened to him, and the same happened to me. ALL simmers need to be constantly reminded of the attitude of that developer, until that attitude changes. A pretty plane is a pretty plane, but it's the support for the product that really tells you how good they are. If you don't like those `repetitive whines`, or cautionary tales (depending on which side of the fence you're on) no-one forces you to read them. You can go to the CS forum and hang out there. Oh, wait, you can't.Allcott

Clay and all, he's been booted from the forums. Let's let the matter drop or I will be forced to remove the entire thread.

Guest B52Drivr

Ben, Tell us how you really feel? I think communism, has, for the most part, gone by the wayside in Russia -- the Soviet block no longer exists -- just some info in case you've been living on another planet for the past decade or so.Clayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Guest SaVas

It would appear someone needs to grow up and get their mindset out of the iceage. Its juvenile delinquent style posts like yours that are pure drivellous bashing and bantering which needs not be around this forum or any other. I'm sure you are one of those that runs around saying "The South shall rise again" and constantly discuss the civil war and that the south was robbed.

Guest tracsim

I for one am utterly fed up with much of the tosh I am reading on this thread - much of which seems very much like schoolyard banter "he said testes - lol" and "commie russians". It is just not relevant and completely infantile. No wonder you get short shrift from developers if that's the level you approach them on. I have had many return emails of a support nature from CaptainSim and they have all been helpful and polite - probably because I was in the first place.I for one own the CaptainSim 707, 727, F104 and now the C130. With the 707 which seems to be the subject of so much bile, I have had immense enjoyment out of it and have easily got my money's worth. Any problems I have had, have been answered by the faqs on their site - and by the way - its up to them whether or not they have a forum. Plus, wondering what on earth the whiners were going on and on about, I flew her from Seattle to Heathrow via JFK, Greenland and Iceland. Guess what? I had no problems at all! Not that I could compare to the real thing because like 99% of CaptainSim 707 owners, I've never flown a real one (I do hold a CAA PPL though)Now I've got the C130 and it is superb so far. So I suggest that if you want to criticise the aircraft and CaptainSim, you try it for yourself. And no, I don't work for CaptainSim.Simon