Sign in to follow this  
akmatov

I've discovered a solution for the unusable GTN in ES Liberty XL2

Two years ago I purchased a Liberty XL2 from Eaglesoft because it was the first aircraft, as far as I could find, that implemented the marvelous then new Flight1 GTN 750/650 into the console rather then only functioning as a popup.  Put a lot of hours on that little bird.

This year after a hiatus from FSX and a nearly complete computer rebuild and a shift to FSXSE, I eagerly reloaded the Liberty GTN as the vehicle for refreshing my skills.  However, now the GTN display was so dark I at first thought it wasn't present.  A support request to F1 brought a response that it had to be something being done by the aircraft code.  A support request to Eaglesoft on 7 May 2016 resulted in no response at all.  Or rather no response until 5 June 2016 when I mention my non-support in a thread entitled "Shoutout to Eaglesoft".  Given no response in a month, I was actually wondering if the firm had gone under, which was distressing as I was seriously considering purchasing their Cessna Citation X v2.  I'll not go into the dance of excuses and hints they were about to solve the issue.  The outcome six weeks later was no fix.

I got poking around today and within an hour, I know silly me for expecting the developer to fix it, I had it fixed.  Sooooo for anyone wanting to fly an Eaglesoft XL2 with the Flight1 GTN750 or 650:

1. Go to where your FSX is installed, go to SimObjects\Airplanes\Eaglesoft Liberty XL2 X\F1GTN.ini

2. Back up this file for safety

3. The file reads:

[GTN750.1]

Radios=0
Autopilot=1
Mouse=1
Link CRS=1
Auto CRS=1
Fuel=1
Sound=1
Invert Mouse Wheel=0
Active Mouse=1
CPU Core=0
Airplane=7

[GTN750.2]
Radios=1
Autopilot=1
Mouse=1
Link CRS=1
Auto CRS=1
Fuel=1
Sound=0
Invert Mouse Wheel=0
Active Mouse=1
CPU Core=0

[GTN650.1]
Radios=1
Autopilot=1
Mouse=1
Link CRS=1
Auto CRS=1
Fuel=1
Sound=1
Invert Mouse Wheel=1
Active Mouse=1
CPU Core=0
Airplane=0

[GTN650.2]
Radios=1
Autopilot=1
Mouse=1
Link CRS=1
Auto CRS=1
Fuel=1
Sound=0
Invert Mouse Wheel=1
Active Mouse=1
CPU Core=0

You have the data for four GTNs here.  Add as the last line for the GTNs you want to be able to actually see  "  VC Brightness=10  ".  A " 1 " gives you a black screen and I've poked around up to "20".

For example:

[GTN750.1]

Radios=0
Autopilot=1
Mouse=1
Link CRS=1
Auto CRS=1
Fuel=1
Sound=1
Invert Mouse Wheel=0
Active Mouse=1
CPU Core=0
Airplane=7
VC Brightness=10    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the added line
[GTN750.2]

Now the combination of an Eaglesoft Liberty XL2 + F1's GTN 750 and/or 650 (you can mount two, one of each) now works.  A very nice little basic, but modern, bird.  Depending on which of the four models provided you can experiment with different navigation gauges.  Quite highly recommended, I'll be flying it a lot.

Funny you failed to mention a number of our emails and the fact that on 06-12-2016 I sent an .mdl for testing and asked you to report back.

Crickets, until today when you announce such at Avsim and never reported back to us or in our own forums..

Glad to hear it's sorted for you nonetheless. :smile:

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Funny you failed to mention that my support request was unanswered in your support forum for a month until a public comment by me prompted a response. Then while my request for support was sitting in your support forum for a month, you told me you had not received it - I immediately checked,  it was there.

There were indeed a number of emails, but only after I mention here publicly that I had had an unanswered support request in your support forum for a month.    The last communication on your support forum was on 10 June 2016 "Thanks to your questions we have identified a bug in the FSX version which is the proximate cause. We will have a solution up soon. icon_e_wink.gif"  Nothing further was received until after I posted here today, "What are you refering too? I sent you a mdl to test and report back about. icon_e_confused.gif"  I checked and you have my correct email address and I have just now checked, yet again, now that I have a date, and yes indeed you did send a file to me.  I've been checking your support forum daily, didn't expect it where it went.  I have tried very patiently to use your forums.I will be very curious to see how it compares to mine.  I'm hoping for the best, your Liberty XL2 is a fine little bird.

Seriously, there is something wrong with your support methodology and I suggest a thoughtful re-look.  The only way I was able to get your attention was publicly here at AvSim.  I had seriously thought after a month that ES might have closed down.

Best wishes :)

Just checked and the file you sent me works.  As far as I can tell it produces the same level of backlight as my addition of VC Brightness =10 to the F1GTN.ini file.  Does it address any other areas I should know of?

Regardless, the Liberty XL2 is a fine basic, but modern, bird with a variety of navigation instruments available for training in different navigation methods.  I particularly like the large well placed gauges and the FADEC engine information. It also has one of the best sets of documents of any aircraft regardless of price. With the bug tweak, I'm happy to recommend this aircraft.

You've received support and the product works as designed. Thanks for the recommendation. End of story as we don't do support here. :wink:

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

However, I must point out that I received the support which you speak of, after being ignored for a month on your support forum, only after mentioning the lack of support here at AvSim.  Given your track record, I doubt anything would have ever been done had this issue not become public. Rather than the immediate obvious defensive 'damage control' method (denial, blame shifting, etc) of handling an embarrassment, the professional way to recover from this sort of situation with grace and credibility would be along the lines of:

"I'm glad our debugged .MDL worked for you.   I apologize for the long delay in responding to your support request and we are looking into how to improve our support responsiveness.  Please let us know if we can be of assistance in the future."

I'm done with this mess.

Best Regards

• Upvote 1

Finally the matter is closed. :wink:

• Upvote 1

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

However, I must point out that I received the support which you speak of, after being ignored for a month on your support forum, only after mentioning the lack of support here at AvSim. Given your track record, I doubt anything would have ever been done had this issue not become public. Rather than the immediate obvious defensive 'damage control' method (denial, blame shifting, etc) of handling an embarrassment, the professional way to recover from this sort of situation with grace and credibility would be along the lines of:

"I'm glad our debugged .MDL worked for you. I apologize for the long delay in responding to your support request and we are looking into how to improve our support responsiveness. Please let us know if we can be of assistance in the future."

I'm done with this mess.

Best Regards

In my humble opinion, what you just did was stooping too low telling someone else how they should have handled something and should have been done via a private message and not aired for everyone to see.

I'd say this thread has probably run its course as there is nothing else that can be said without further mud slinging.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I agree - I'm closing this down.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors