Sign in to follow this  
FlavioSSA

Estonia migration tool still works?

EMT is a potential license violator... why is it allowed to be discussed?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Scare posts about the tool messing up one's "system" and being outdated seem more partisan that informative.  I suppose you could mess up your sim install, but I find it hard to imagine how using the tool would harm your "system," if that means your OS and other software.  

Hopefully you will not find out how it can happen but it can and has happened. You are looking at a tool that fools the OS and programs into thinking that something is in a location that it is not. One glitch and files get written in places they do not belong opening possibilities for program AND OS corruption.

Nothing partisan here - just a caution - but I enjoy making $$$ fixing other people's mistakes.

And for the record, all the EMT tool is is a wrapper around the command line MKLNK tool in Windows. Like some other Windows cmd line tools, if they are incorrectly used they can trash your system. I'd give the same caution if someone was talking about the MKLNK program.

As I said, most of the time it works but if it doesn't......

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Just did my first 5 instalations without issues using the tool. I saw that in some cases, corrections are necessary like editing dll.xml, puting some file inside some folder, etc. Nothing that can´t be dealed by hand. The results compensates the work envolved, i think. That tool is a real help, most different from some arcaic addons from some developers still available in the market.

Anyway, question answered. Thanks everyone.

Flavio Cardoso - P3Dv4.5 HF3

Win 10 Pro 64Bits - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H150i Platinum - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER SC - MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics

Just did my first 5 instalations without issues using the tool. I saw that in some cases, corrections are necessary like editing dll.xml, puting some file inside some folder, etc. Nothing that can´t be dealed by hand. The results compensates the work envolved, i think. That tool is a real help, most different from some arcaic addons from some developers still available in the market.

Anyway, question answered. Thanks everyone.

If you consider that the new P3D file structure can make some add-on installations write into different locations of dll.xml and exe.xml, depending on specific considerations of the developer or the lack thereof, the use of this tool may result in unwanted complications related to order of entries and their locations, as an example. More about it here:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/490647-exexml-and-dllxml-in-different-folders-in-p3dv335/

Dirk.

Thanks! Any info to operate the tool properly is welcome. I´ll read the topic.

Win 10 Pro 64Bits - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H150i Platinum - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER SC - MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics

What I'm trying to say, as an example only, is that EMT can make unwanted choices handling dll.xml and exe.xml in different locations under the new structure. EMT can't know all choices made by other developers placing their exe.xml and dll.xml entries in different locations. There may be discrepancies, possibility, init?

Dirk.

Seems to me EMT is good for add-ons that are not specifically for P3D. I've installed a load of stuff not converted to P3D with issue. :EDIT.....as yet!  :smile: 

2c

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Seems to me EMT is good for add-ons that are not specifically for P3D

Hey Ron,

That just confused the heck out of me.  Isn't the EMT specifically for products that lack P3D installers?  What else might it be good for?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Another voice here for the migration tool crashing P3dV3.2

Had to reinstall P3D from scratch and with ONLY the migration tool installed, it crashed P3D on every start up. Submitted a ticket to the developers months ago and never heard anything. It is at best a well packaged hack with no support.

If you have had good luck with it, so be it. But do not discount those of us who have VERY clean systems that have had ugly and painful results.

Hey Ron,

That just confused the heck out of me.  Isn't the EMT specifically for products that lack P3D installers?  What else might it be good for?

Unfortunately Dave, some people try to use it to bypass specific licensing requirements where a product is NOT licensed for use in P3D. Fortunately, many dev's are putting secondary checks in to combat this type of activity.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

sadly what I have found is that a lot developers who were really set against EMT tool are the very ones who know charge premiums prices for there add-on to be officially used in P3d,if you follow the link you will see where the guy claims it is one of the top selling add ons in recent times,know with the very large and vocal community using EMT we would have had pages full of simmers running this product down if it was as bad as claimed,I have had a few programs in my time including Orbx

ruin my set up,and please  dont ask me about that well know Nvidia driver uninstaller that required me to reinstall win7!,we use a PC thing do go wrong for lots of reasons in my case it is because I am mainly self taught,and regarding license issue,s there is a very amusing story on the EMT forums where a very well know dev who was very anti P3d was bulling the developer of EMT trying to stop his product.s being installed via this tool,the guy from EMT actually challenged him to use  the European court to test his claim this would have cost the developer about $100, funnily this most vocal developer backed off 

Peter

• Upvote 1

None of the products I make are designed to not support Prepar3D.  I will still refuse to do tech support on a system that has EMT running on it.  It does cause lots and lots off issues.  Whether you think so or not.  On many tech issues, once EMT has been removed and all of it's shenanigans regarding faking out installers is gone... the tech issues suddenly go away.

Perhaps if you had to handle all of the tech support for products that are negatively impacted by EMT you might change your mind.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Is the Estonia Migration Tool even needed these days? I haven't required it to install all of my addons, and that includes Ultimate Traffic 2.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes, it is. Mainly if we talk about sceneries developed by mid-little companys (Not Orbx, Aerosoft, etc) that uses generic installers. These companies create scenerys of not so famous airports. Airports that would not exist in the sim world if was not them to create. So yes, EST is needed and in my time using it ,the only problem faceb by me (Dealed in 3 minutes) was a missing dll.xml entry. However, i agree that it's not a tool that someone with NO knowledge with FS/P3D should use.

-- Sorry about my english mistakes.