Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Would upgrading from Win 7 -> Win 10 make P3D run better?

AFAIK, ZDNet is a respected publication in the IT circles and is often quoted in the 'Trades'.

And that same theory has also been touted in a UK  'trade' publication.

I updated last night and am very happy with the choice as it saved me $120 from not having to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional to get past my 16gb memory limit of home premium. After I turned off/uninstalled all the bloatware and turned off the spycrap 10 feels much snappier than 7 and just for an FYI I upgraded not a clean install and it worked fine. I also gained about 15gb of space on my 120gb OS only SSD by moving to 10

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Oh Please!!! The article is by Mary Joe Foley, and I'm betting you have no idea who she is....

And I really don't care.  Yet another "expert" out there, driving capitalism.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

And I really don't care.  Yet another "expert" out there, driving capitalism.

I can see you don't know very much about Microsoft or the people that have been working with the company for years and years. Continuing this conversation is a waste of time.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I can see you don't know very much about Microsoft or the people that have been working with the company for years and years. Continuing this conversation is a waste of time.  

Insults get you nowhere Bob.  I see respect is right out the window.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

So if I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate installed, Windows 10 is a free update? How would I go about updating, is there a website I need to go to or can I do it from the built-in Windows 7 updater?

How long does the process take to upgrade? I don't feel like doing a clean install, that would take forever to reinstall and set everything back up again.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Hey Aaron, there may be an icon in the task tray for the Win10 upgrade or I think you can check the updates section in control panel to see if your Win7 is registered with MS, and if it is you can upgrade to Win10 before 29/7/2016.

Improvements to performance came with Win8. Win8 had changes to the core graphics handling, networking, and memory management. Dual booting a setup back then produced around 2-3% improvement in FSX boxed. Also Win 8 booted up considerably faster. I was glad to see the back of Win7 back then.

Win 8.1 didn't improve matters, and there's none to speak of in Win10, other than it keeps up nicely with emerging hardware such as DX12 GPUs as you mentioned.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

So you're saying after that date, it will be a paid update to get Windows 10? I might as well do it now then.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

You can go back if you select the option before upgrading. If you have a very complex sim setup with lots of controls and so on, it may throw up some problems. In the end you will get it to work, perhaps having to reinstall some drivers or obtaining updates. If you really only ever sit down at the PC and run the next flight, then maybe consider keeping as-is, until maybe you get a new PC. But yes will cost maybe over $100 after the cutoff date.

I recently upgraded to W10. While I am not disappointed that I did, I'm indifferent about 'better performance' - although certainly no worse.

However, it IS stable, and I have not had a single driver issue or sim related anomaly. Everything has worked very well. I'm glad I upgraded. But again, if your current setup is stable, don't mess with it.

If you do decide to go ahead - make sure you do a clean install, and not just an upgrade.

Changes of a few percent are hard to detect unless strict back to back measurements are taken with guaranteed reproducible scenarios. I had the advantage of using a bespoke test harness that creates reproducible results, I'm not guessing when I post. But then it also depends on how much the particular setup does, some may see no difference at all or perhaps feel it has less performance.

Changes of a few percent are hard to detect unless strict back to back measurements are taken with guaranteed reproducible scenarios. I had the advantage of using a bespoke test harness that creates reproducible results, I'm not guessing when I post. But then it also depends on how much the particular setup does, some may see no difference at all or perhaps feel it has less performance.

Agree entirely

Steve, while I don't mean to hijack Aaron's thread, we are on the subject of better performance.    I know you have written volumes about this in countless threads, but just wanted to check with you that this is still the correct and appropriate method of setting an AM?

http://www.avsim.com/topic/444793-one-tweak-to-rule-them-all-how-to-set-affinity-mask-correctly/

Yes it's quite correct. Although it would be better to use the more common nomenclature of Logical Processors, where there are four in a four core No Hyperthreading, the first on the right being LP zero (core zero), and with HT enabled we have eight LPs numbered from the right LP0 LP1 (core zero).

• Upvote 1

So you're saying after that date, it will be a paid update to get Windows 10? I might as well do it now then.

Hey let me link you some videos on how to setup windows 10 during and after the update,because otherwise all of MS's Spyware will be on there and this will also show you how to remove the default bloatware,which just eats resources and is good for nothing. Also if you prefer the windows 7 menu style you can install a program called classic shell that makes 10 look just like 7 or you can mix it up ect

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Quite a while ago I installed Windows 10 in my business laptop and later in my FS desktop machine and could not be more pleased with smooth fluid and trouble free performance in both machines.

P3D seems to like W10 almost as much as I do. Have moved on and have no reason to look back. Stick in the mud long enough and you'll have to pay for the upgrade.

It's your money, so if you wish you are free to give it to MS someday when Windows 7 won't work anymore. 

Kind regards,