Sign in to follow this  
haseen

Thinking to get Captain Sim L1011, Milviz 737 or Carenado PC12.

Dear:

I like system realism specially avionics like autopilot. I use PMDG, Level d sim 767, Simcheck A300, Majestic Dash 8 Q400 Pro, Leonardo Maddog MD 82, Aerosoft Airbus A320, Flight One PC-12 etc. 

1. Now I am looking at Captain Sim L1011, I watched some video.. still confused. I would like to know whether the autopilot works in a realistic way. Such as, in IAS hold mode the AP would control pitch of the airplane to maintain a target speed during climb or descent, not thrust. Does any one use Captain sim L1011 and know about its autopilot functions?

2. I am also thinking of Milviz 737-200C or Carenado PC12. Could any one help me to decide which one should I go for between Captain Sim L1011, Milviz 737-200C and Carenado PC12?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Haseen Ahmad

Bangladesh.

Yes, the L-1011 autopilot is realistic. This aircraft is generally regarded as one of Captain Sim's best; I'd call it very good.

The Milviz 737 is excellent, both visually and systems.

I don't have the PC12 so can't comment.  But as far as choosing between them...they are very different aircraft, serving very different needs. If you like long haul flights, I'm sure you will be happy with the L1011. If you like short haul flights, you'll love the Milviz.

I might suggest you wait until the Christmas holiday to buy the L1011.  Captain SIm usually - it is not a guarantee - has a sale around that time with very deep discounts.  And Milviz just had sale a few weeks ago, they'll do it again I'm sure.  If you time it right, you can probably buy both planes for the price of one.

Hans Soule

CS L1011: this is a brilliant plane with one of the best system depths I have seen. However, it does not have an autopilot in the modern sense, it has an Inertial Navigation System. This means you can enter up to 9 waypoints and the plane will fly there, that's it. To be frank, I never could the INS to work properly, which is the one reason why I don't fly this impressive model more often.

Milviz 737-200: a very good plane with a modern Flight Management Computer. However, some people (including me) have issues with the autopilot. It doesn't catch the next waypoint. I can manually make it to fly direct to the next waypoint after the FMC lost the track, but I have to do this after passing every waypoint. This problem appears to be acknowledged on the Mlviz support forum.

I realize this post sounds a bit negative, which is not intended. Both are very good models, it just happens that their autopilots are somewhat problematic.

Peter

The performance of the Milviz 737 is amazing I can actually get 50 fps in the VC at Orbx airports with the setting turned way up.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

The INS in the CS L1011 is not limited to 9 waypoints.  It actually has your FSX flight plan pre-loaded, all you have to do is initialize and align it.

David Norman Paul

The navigation system of the CS Tristar doesn't limit the autopilot modes available:

• Speed hold mode works with the ATS switched off automatically. (Manual throttle and the autopilot pitching for speed)
  • Alpha mode works for the approach with the appropriate flaps settings (this feature is not available in the Justflight Tristar, not even in their Professional version).
  • The CS Tristar also features the flare mode for autolands (non-existent in the Justflight Tristars).

The CS INS system, as mentioned, offers quite some flexibility:

• CS INS autoloads a native FSX flightplan.
  • CS INS can be operated more realistically by inserting waypoints manually.
  • CS INS can be replaced by a "4th party" INS system: FREEWARE DELCO CAROUSEL IV-A INS
  • You can revert to more basic lateral autopilot modes like VOR.

IMO, the CS Tristar is very good, the autopilot is even better than in the Professional JF version.

The MilViz Boeing is a very good plane, too, but the Tristar kinda attracts me more.

If you like the older analog jetliners, check out the Coolsky DC-9.   It has system depth and realism, not to mention great looks, sound, and flight model.  

It is as good as anything else out there.

David Norman Paul

Also, the MilViz 737 will sometimes loop around a waypoint if this waypoint is too close to the previous one and the plane somehow struggles to overfly it. It will keep looping until it's able to pass over it, it's very annoying.

From all that i'd go with the TriStar, it's CS's best plane so far and it works (and looks) really well.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

The MV 737 was never supposed to have the FMS.  We added it as a panacea to some who had asked for it.  If you don't use it, then you can fly properly.  

At some point soon, we will replace it with our new (still being worked on) FMS/AP system.  (free)

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

Don't get me wrong though. The 737 is amazing, and i fly it often, just have to monitor it carefully.

And the FMS is a blessing. Can't wait to try the new AP, thanks!

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

At some point soon, we will replace it with our new (still being worked on) FMS/AP system.  (free)

That is great news, thanks so much for doing this. I suppose this is the same FMC that will go into into the Beech 350?

Peter

I have the three aircraft you are considering and the MilViz 737 is the best IMO, followed closely by the CS L-1011. The Carenado PC-12 does not quite come into the same league in terms of systems but it is quite nice to use with the Flight 1 GTN-750 if you have that. 

Bill

Almost no repaints for the MilViz 737-200. Northern Air Cargo, Sierra Pacific, Ameristar I've searched for and never found. Carenado with the user created engine mod is a fun airplane, but little system modeling. I do not have any CS airplane to comment on.

The CS L-1011 is one of my favorites, and is seriously underrated in my opinion. 

You can also use the Flight 1 GTN-750 in the CS L-1011.  There are instructions for setting it up on the CS forums.  You are limited to using it in a popup window, but it does work.  You do have to enter your flight plan into the GTN-750 manually, but that's so easy it's not a big deal.

If you don't have or don't want to use the GTN-750 you can load an FSX flight plan into the stock INS as described above.

The MilViz 737-200 also gets airtime in my sim world, especially at night.  It's night lighting is arguably the best of any aircraft available in FSX.  I always fly this one 'old school' and never use the FMS.

I don't have the PC-12, but I feel safe in saying you can't go wrong with either the CS L-1011 or the MV 737-200.

Richard P. Kelly