Sign in to follow this  
Nike Hercoles

UTX or ORBX OpenLC for North America and Europe?

Hi I have both UTX  and ORBX OpenLC for North America and Europe for FSX . Do I need to installed both and if your answer is no , which one do you prefer? 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi I have both UTX  and ORBX OpenLC for North America and Europe for FSX . Do I need to installed both and if your answer is no , which one do you prefer? 

Ultimate Terrain is a vector (roads, bridges, coastlines, etc)

Orbx Vector is also of the above.  I have both, and up until this point of time, only have used U.T.   With the new complete N.A. OpenLC, I installed Orbx Vector 1.30...patched to 1.35, patched to 1.40, and haven't looked back. It blends into the scenery much better than U.T. at this time.   The roads are PART of the total scenery, rather than U.T.'s depiction of being pasted 'upon' the top of the layer.  So for myself...Vector is now in control of roads and such.

You will need one or the other, for your roadway systems.

Cheers,

UTX v2 is now vector and landclass (both urban and vegetation).

If you have both, why don't you try both and use whichever you prefer? Isn't it personal preference?

UTX does include landclass in urban areas, but its landclass coverage is limited outside of urban zones. OpenLC provides landclass for the entire North American continent, including Canada, Alaska, Mexico and the Caribbean.

If you use UTX in conjunction with ORBX OpenLC, it may be possible that the UTX landclass will take priority where it is present - I don't know for sure.

The ORBX OpenLC greatly enhances the overall appearance of the FSX/P3D world. It shines for "low and slow" VFR flights of course, but also improves high-altitude flights in airliners. With default landclass, flights over the Midwestern states are visually "boring" with thousands of identical repeating textures representing farmland, while the look of OpenLC is much more varied and realistic in the same locations.

In short, even if you have UTX, I think you would not go wrong in also installing OpenLC.

You can disable land class in utx, that's what I've done so open lc is the only land class provider.

Having said that, I'd be curious to see comparison shots to show what open lc looks like with vector vs utx.