Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Water still sucks in P3D V3.3.5

May I ask, which water/waves textures do you use, Glenn?

Michael,

I'm using Global Water Set 15 - Dark - Shallow Coral, and Wave Animation Set 06 - Glimmer.

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

Thanks, I'll give this a try.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

this water looks very good

essodwater1.jpg

Funny, I think that looks absolutely awful. Far too much detail. I've stopped using water animations completely: to me (it's a very personal thing) no animations looks a lot better than those fake animations with way too big waves all over the place. Specially at a regular flying altitude. And also specially in rivers.

Download this marvelous tool - PTA - http://www.avsim.com/topic/489018-prepar3d-tweak-assistant-pta/

It has options to increase reflectivity of water, its transparency regarding to the bottom, blur the waves etc.

I have some incredible screenshots with updated shaders, I will post them here when I am back from work.

Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Flew a return flight KSFO - KMIA and took a few pics once I was over water.  Late afternoon shots:

2016-8-24_12-17-13-675.png

2016-8-24_13-29-52-79.png

2016-8-24_13-33-45-604.png

Images totally original, no touch ups, etc. courtesy of REX4 TD.  Hope they look as good on here as they do on my pc.

Edited to add - they look better if you click on each image and view in opened window.

Glenn Wilkinson

Edited to add - they look better if you click on each image and view in opened window

Hi Glen

You water looks good. 

On your second screenshot and the third (where there is no sun reflections), when you go into Slew mode...pause your sim (with a "Y" Slew not "P"), do you see the movement of the water (even slightly) below the aircraft? Or is it completely dead?

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

With all due respect, you can't deduce whether water textures and animations are good by looking at (small) static screenshots. You really have to see it on your own PC.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

you can't deduce whether water textures and animations are good by looking

True Christopher.

Thats why I asked him if there was some animation or was it static? But the screenshot does give me some information on the color and texture.. 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hi Glen

You water looks good. 

On your second screenshot and the third (where there is no sun reflections), when you go into Slew mode...pause your sim (with a "Y" Slew not "P"), do you see the movement of the water (even slightly) below the aircraft? Or is it completely dead?

Manny,

Have not tried to view in Slew mode.  99% of my flights are with smartCARS for a VA.  Don't know if going into slew mode would affect acars but I won't risk it.  I normally stay in the cockpit, anyway and have very rarely slewed in complex a/c (PMDG), as they can be unpredictable in slew mode.

Shots 2 & 3 were done to display the textures, not wave animations.

Glenn Wilkinson

As promised - here are screenshots of water after some tuning using PTA:

2016_8_17_23_12_11_68.jpg

2016_8_17_23_12_55_264.jpg

2016_8_17_23_10_49_277.jpg

Lukasz Kulasek

Lukask, could you tell me what area that is that you're flying? Wow, those coastlines look amazing. I don't recall ever seeing coastlines looking like that. What add-on are you using in those pictures?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

As promised - here are screenshots of water after some tuning using PTA:

Beautiful shots buy really what you are showing here is mostly reflections and photo real surf.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Lukask, could you tell me what area that is that you're flying? Wow, those coastlines look amazing. I don't recall ever seeing coastlines looking like that. What add-on are you using in those pictures?

It is ORBX New Zealand NI + Milford Sound.

Airport is NZMJ.

Beautiful shots buy really what you are showing here is mostly reflections and photo real surf.

gb.

Well, please just focus on the water. I have used PTA to increase reflectivity, blur wave effect and limpidity (how much colors of ocean bottom are taken into account).

In my opinion, these changes made water much more realistic.

pta.jpg

• Upvote 1

Lukasz Kulasek

It is ORBX New Zealand NI + Milford Sound.

Airport is NZMJ.

Well, please just focus on the water. I have used PTA to increase reflectivity, blur wave effect and limpidity (how much colors of ocean bottom are taken into account).

In my opinion, these changes made water much more realistic.

pta.jpg

Thanks for sharing - rex textures or factory P3D 

Rich Sennett