Sign in to follow this  
Simicro

Shape of the holding pattern

Hi,

I am learning to use the HOLD feature.

Please see the screenshots below: in some cases I get an oval pattern (hold on PAL29) and in other cases (hold on SPUMA) I get a circular pattern. It looks like if the leg time > 1 min, then the shape is oval. But maybe it is more complex.

My question is: what are the rules/parameters to get an oval shape for the holding pattern?

PAL1.jpg

PAL2.jpg

SPUMA1.jpg

SPUMA2.jpg

- TONY -

My question is: what are the rules/parameters to get an oval shape for the holding pattern?

Maybe kevinh used the search feature to find the the link to thread that he has posted. But it also would have been in his content since he posted in the linked thread. If you are unsure how to use the search feature, I will be happy to explain it to you. Just let me know. Using the search feature can save you a lot of time compared to making a post and waiting on replies. This time it worked pretty fast. However, I have seen other posts go for days without a reply.
  • Upvote 1

Hi guys,

Sorry for not having seen the existing topic through the search engine.

And thank you for your answers and time.

So I understand it is a bug that will be corrected in the next update.

For the record, I did submit a ticket and I did get a very good response by Ryan. He said they would look into it for fixing it for the next update.

- TONY -

If you are unsure how to use the search feature, I will be happy to explain it to you. Just let me know.

Very nice my friend.  Excellent Stewardship, and a GREAT example to all of us!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Maybe kevinh used the search feature to find the the link to thread that he has posted.

I remembered the topic coming up before so I used forum search to find it. Search seems to be working better these days.

Sorry for not having seen the existing topic through the search engine.

No need to apologise.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Search seems to be working better these days.

Thanks for the tip, it used to be so bad that I have avoided it for a while.  Google does a good job of finding AVSIM posts.

Dan Downs KCRP

You need this gadget Adacalc

http://www.aero.sors.fr/adacalc.html

It will calculate headings and wind deflection for the holds. Also showing the correct procedural turns etc.

Some real life tips

If you're flying a jet transport then it's most likely that your AP may be limited to a 20deg bank angle. Adacalc will also calculate this so that your sausage is a little bit wider due to your slower turn rate. This is because in a jet transport your hold speed will be in the region of 22-230kts and passengers will not like the a/c banking steeply ie 30deg every minute.

Also if required in the published hold fly the one minute leg on the outbound leg. This makes it much easier to fly accurately to the facility and turn at the facility. If you were flying a one minute inbound leg then whether the minute is not yet up or not you still have to fly to the facility and turn there.