Sign in to follow this  
Skywatcher

Why PMDG not freeware?

There's the RFP 747-200, and on the XPlane side of things there's the Dreamfoil Aeroboero and the old Embraer 170 by SSG. 

Forgot about the Ready For Pushback; however, that company closed its doors. You're right, companies who cease operations routinely offer their products for free; however, that's a lot different from active companies seeking to maximize their profits. I can't think of singe active FS aircraft developer who engages in this practice. That includes PMDG, Capt Sim, Feelthere, Wilco, BBS/PSS, Aerosoft, Just Flight, QW, Aerofly, Overland, Carnardo, Quest, etc....

Instead, they would rather terminate older products lines and release updated renditions as a new product. As for profit entities, I can't blame them for that....

Matt King

I can't think of singe active FS aircraft developer who engages in this practice. 

I just stated two, Dreamfoil and SSG. Granted, these are XPlane developers, but it's still the same business. Also, there's SMS with their MD-11- who are still in business and I believe were still developing products when they released the MD-11 for free. Finally, imaginesim, who still actively develop airports, released old versions of KDTW, KEWR, and KMSY for free. Granted, it isn't common for developers to do this, but not unheard of either. In fact, it's probably almost as rare as developers completely discontinuing an old product, removing it from the market entirely. Many of the developers you listed still offer very old products for sale- I can only think of a handful that are no longer available anywhere. 

All this being said, I'm sure that PMDG have their reasons. I'm betting that they're mainly afraid customers would settle for the older aircraft instead of buying the newer NGX and 747 v2, even though the new versions are radically better than the old ones and I can't really see the markets overlapping too much. Anyway, they'll probably never release anything for free, but it's a fun idea to think about. 

I'm betting that they're mainly afraid customers would settle for the older aircraft instead of buying the newer NGX and 747 v2

I think the same!

Matt King

ISIS is one, they've released a number of pay ware aircraft as freeware.

There are other developers who have also done this, be it making products freeware at release or later down the road.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Forgot about the Ready For Pushback; however, that company closed its doors. You're right, companies who cease operations routinely offer their products for free; however, that's a lot different from active companies seeking to maximize their profits. I can't think of singe active FS aircraft developer who engages in this practice. That includes PMDG, Capt Sim, Feelthere, Wilco, BBS/PSS, Aerosoft, Just Flight, QW, Aerofly, Overland, Carnardo, Quest, etc....

Instead, they would rather terminate older products lines and release updated renditions as a new product. As for profit entities, I can't blame them for that....

Milviz very recently turned their civilian / racer version of the P-38, the P-38 Red Bull, from payware into freeware. It's available, for free (no support), from their website.

That said, I more than agree that it's purely a developer's prerogative to do such - sometimes the inevitable support issues & complaints, even with a lack of support clearly indicated, will easily outweigh the benefits.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Yes! MD-11 for me too! This is the point, sooner or later I'll have to run to iFly if I want a decent 747 for FS2004. Once I buy the iFly 747, then brand loyalty will be with iFly and when I move to FSX/P3D guess who's products I'll buy! If the PMDG 747 was freeware, would I consider it worthwhile spending all that money on the iFly 747 for FS2004??? Who would I be loyal too in the future???

Exactly!

My brand loyalty is with whoever produces the best product at that time. IFly birds are not as good as anything PMDG has made. IMO. But I do think it would be excellent idea for them to release old products they don't sell anymore. Just upload them to avsim and make it clear that no support is available.

• Upvote 1

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

There is no reason in this, or any other, world for PMDG or any other company to do any such thing. FS itself is a discontinued product and MS certainly has not, and probably will not, release any flightsim game or add-on for free regardless of age. The number of payware items released for free, by anyone, is minuscule.

DJ

MS should make FS9 freeware and open source so the community would really have something to play with.

• Upvote 1

Yet another current developer providing a new product as freeware... though it's for X-PLane, Icarus Simulations has a new Avanti P180 (with FMS) coming out as Freeware. I have only seen screen shots and last night I spoke with the developer for about an hour about this and his other projects.

Anyway, I suppose the point is that it really does happen.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

In addition to those already mentioned, some other developers I can think of that release some of their older products as freeware:

a. IRIS

b. Virtavia/Alphasim

c. FSPS (At least two of their formerly payware utilities are currently available on SimMarket for free)

d. Aeroplane Heaven

e. Godzone (Released their entire FS9 and most of their FSX collection as freeware - all excellent products!)

f. SkyHighSim

I truly can't see a downside to this as long as they make it clear that these are "legacy" products that no longer reflect their current standards and no support is offered. The upside is the goodwill and name recognition it creates. The other alternative would be to simply offer them at radically reduced cost with no support offered. When the product is simply removed and is no longer available payware or freeware, for me personally it creates a quite negative view of that developer.

It's all a matter of personal opinion of course and a developer has every right to decide what they are going to do. But kudos to the above list and others who are generous in their support of our hobby. I find it generates a sense of respect that more mercenary approaches do not.

What I do not respect are those developers who continue to market at full price, really old and mediocre products that sucker people new to the hobby to buy what is essentially crap. I guess I better not name names but one begins with "A" and ends with "S." They continue to market products that were developed for FS2002 and ported over to FS9 and hype them to look like they are worth buying at full price. Not cool!!!!

IMHO of course....

Cheers

Ian