Sign in to follow this  
light_blue_yonder

FPS Halves when using flood lights

Hello fellow 777 captains:

I thought I should post the issue here before I open a support ticket with PMDG. When I am manipulating the individual flood lights in both FSX AND P3D (yes I do have both and the 777 versions for both), my fps halves. i.e. when I have the lights set, I get 20-22 fps stable, when I turn the knob to dim or brighten, my fps drops to 10-12, after the new lighting level is set, fps returns to normal. Is this normal? Also, when I turn the dome lights on or off, I get the spinning cursor icon, but I thought the dome light freeze is normal because of the big lighting area. If this is not normal, then I will open a support ticket with PMDG. Thanks for the help guys.

Haoning Qu

Hi Jim,

Actually this is a known issue and has to do with the way that particular light is modeled.  It should only happen when changing the Dome Light intensity and stops as soon as the the adjustment is made.

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

It should only happen when changing the Dome Light intensity and stops as soon as the the adjustment is made.

That is exactly what's happening

Actually this is a known issue and has to do with the way that particular light is modeled.

Any plans to fix/change this soon PMDG? I'm doing school Science project with your 777 and don't think the class will know about the fps drop because of the way lights are modelled.

Haoning Qu

Any plans to fix/change this soon PMDG? I'm doing school Science project with your 777 and don't think the class will know about the fps drop because of the way lights are modelled.

I doubt your class will know what FPS is in general, honestly. They probably won't even really notice it. This is a science class, not a gaming or computer class.

And no, not any time soon - we're subject to the limitations of the simulator, and the limitations of our development schedule.

Kyle Rodgers

I doubt your class will know what FPS is in general, honestly. They probably won't even really notice it. This is a science class, not a gaming or computer class.

Yep, can't argue about that! :smile:

And no, not any time soon - we're subject to the limitations of the simulator, and the limitations of our development schedule.

Sorry for being pedantic, but do you mean simulatorS? Meaning both FSX AND P3D impose such limitations? I'm not going to ask about your schedule because after all, that 747 V2 is looking really nice!  :wub:   Glad to know it's not a problem on my end and I won't open a support ticket! 

One more thing though, Kyle, HURRY UP WITH THE 747 V2!!!!!!!! :smile:

Haoning Qu

Alright, after that post, I've done some extra testing. I found something strange.

In BOTH FSX and P3D, I get around 20-23 fps. When adjusting the left and right main panel flood lights, fps drops to about 14 fps. Which, admittedly, is hard to notice. When adjusting the glareshield light and the aisle stand flood lights, fps drops to 4-7 fps. Which, I'm sure you'd agree, is quite noticeable during pushback etc. 

So, in conclusion, while I understand that PMDG has their own schedule, and simulator poses limitations, I personally would love to see this fixed sometimes. Just a wish, NOT trying to say "go fix this now".

Haoning Qu

Jim,

The team is aware of the issue and it's in the list of items to be looked at for the next update to the 777.   Doesn't necessarily mean it can or will be fixed but it is under review and if we can find the solution we will of course update it.

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Jim,

For comparison in my sim, these sharp FPS drops only occur with both the glareshield and center console lights. Other ones seem unaffected.

As indicated above, PMDG acknowledged the issue (I submitted a ticket a while back myself).

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Sorry for being pedantic, but do you mean simulatorS? Meaning both FSX AND P3D impose such limitations?

You are reading way too far into this.

The meaning is quite simple: if [insert sim here] doesn't support a feature, then we can't put that feature in that sim. Period. End.

Kyle Rodgers

I personally would love to see this fixed sometimes.

I do not see any decrease in framerate during the flood light transition; however, I did used to see significant frame rate drop with certain clouds (overcast/undercast) and found that locking the frame rate in P3D to 20 solved that problem. Perhaps this also mitigates the lighting transition issue as well?  Not all systems will perform well at 20fps but mine is very smooth animation and frame rate rarely drops below the average 19.8 for any reason.  This is with a 4K TV using 30Hz refresh.

Dan Downs KCRP

The team is aware of the issue and it's in the list of items to be looked at for the next update to the 777.

Fantastic, thanks a lot!

Doesn't necessarily mean it can or will be fixed but it is under review and if we can find the solution we will of course update it.

That's alright. Like I said last post, just a wish. You guys are the developers, you decide.

For comparison in my sim, these sharp FPS drops only occur with both the glareshield and center console lights. Other ones seem unaffected.

For me, others are only not SEVERELY affected, but ARE affected.

Not all systems will perform well at 20fps but mine is very smooth animation and frame rate rarely drops below the average 19.8 for any reason.

Same, here, unlimited fps, but holding steady 20 fps or above everywhere, and it's silky smooth.

The meaning is quite simple: if [insert sim here] doesn't support a feature, then we can't put that feature in that sim. Period. End.

Lol, I probably did read way too far into it, but thanks a lot for the help and the explanation.

Haoning Qu

Lol, I probably did read way too far into it, but thanks a lot for the help and the explanation.

Welcome.

Kyle Rodgers

Now, this is just a noob asking a very technical question, so feel free to not answer if it is too over-the-top-ly stupid.

I have the A2A Cessnas, and to me, their flood lights work the same way. Yet, there is no problem with fps when adjusting them. Is it because A2A is using a different way of modelling it or is it simply because it's a smaller plane and has less surface area to light up per flood light?

Haoning Qu

Now, this is just a noob asking a very technical question, so feel free to not answer if it is too over-the-top-ly stupid.

I have the A2A Cessnas, and to me, their flood lights work the same way. Yet, there is no problem with fps when adjusting them. Is it because A2A is using a different way of modelling it or is it simply because it's a smaller plane and has less surface area to light up per flood light?

Different method. Simpler implementation by the nature of the aircraft. Among other things.

Kyle Rodgers

Different method. Simpler implementation by the nature of the aircraft. Among other things.

Right, thank you!

This is going to be off topic, but creating large (2200 nm) fix rings also cause massive fps drops right? I'm using Nvidia card, GTX980M. If it's complicated, I'll start another thread, thanks.

Haoning Qu