Sign in to follow this  
Ace9

FSX-S Hangs at the Splash Screen

Hi all.

I had this Splash Screen hanging problem with FSX-S stopping on the initial splash screen and never loading from there.

It was resolved by deleting the "logbook.bin" file within the Flight Simulator X folder inside My Doucments.

If you want to find out how I am sure this was the solution to the problem in my case, read on. If not rename the logbook.bin file and let FSX create a new one on start up, back it up before deleting it, just in case. 

After experiencing this hanging on the splash screen error and finding no real help on the www, I decided a complete reinstall from Windows 10 up was in order. Cunningly, I made full system images at every step of the reinstall process using the native Windows backup tool.

I installed all of my office programmes etc. first then set about Steam - FSX - FSUIPC - Linda - TrackIr before next setting about the Orbx scenery addons.

After I had installed Vector and 4 patches, I decided to go flying as I missed it. A simple flight across 5 miles of the Isle of Wight in the default Piper Cub. Turned off the PC, went to bed, work, home, booted the PC and went to have a quick flight again before commencing the install of Orbx Europe etc.

FSX hung up on the splash screen again, Impossible I was gobsmacked! But felt reassured that my painstakingly produced system image's would solve the problem. I set about using the last image created before Vector, taking me back to the full system state just before it was installed. I was even more gobsmacked to find out that even that did not solve the freezing splash screen problem

But I realised that the only files that had not been replaced by the system image was in fact the Flight Simulator X files in My Documents folder.

I ahd configure the system image file to replaced only drives C - F - G (Windows - Steam - FSX) whereas the My documents folder resided on my D drive and not on the image, the only files inside the Flight Simulator X folder were the Piper Cub flight and the logbook.bin files.

I deleted the logbook.bin file attempted to start FSX and all was well again, it worked a treat Game on.

Promptly I used the Image of Vectors install state to quickly get back to where I was and the newly created logbook.bin file worked a treat there as well, there was no problem with anything just the logbook.bin file. Reading through some forums I found some great help and advice but none of it worked for me. I only came across 1 thread that indicated deleting the logbook.bin file was an option. But did not believe it. Now I am convinced, blow me down who would have guessed it? on a newly created install Windows 10 up.

I hope this helps someone out there, knowledge of this file's corruption when all is newly installed let alone an old installation could save a lot of time and effort, hence the reason to explain how I came to realise this was right for me at least.

ALWAYS backup or rename the suspect logbook.bin file before deleting it, you will loose your pilot and flight records in FSX if they are not already lost, but that a welcome exchange in my opinion. That said one could always keep a back up of it so an uncorrupt copy could be copied over, I found the recycle bin is a great place to store these back up files, right up until the time you forget and empty it.

Hope this helps someone out, lets go fly. A big thank you to the person who said delete the logbook.bin file, you were right, I am sorry I did not believe you.

Thanks for the information.  Another solution to fixing the logbook is to download the FSX Logbook Recovery program from the AVSIM Library.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim,

I was not aware of that piece of kit, I will download it and try to recover the corrupt logbook.

Many thanks again.

So much to know.  So little time....  Hope the tool works.

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hey Jim, sadly the tool failed to recover my log book but I am happy to know its there and can if needs be make it my first port of call in the future.

Many thanks for your support.

I don't believe it! I have just had a chance to see the tool working, for some reason the new log book became corrupt, no idea why.

SAVED by the Logbook recovery tool. FANTASTIC thanks Jim it worked a treat just when I had lost the will to live well fly anymore :-)

Now I am using the back up feature after every flight, its quick and very easy.

Thanks once again Avsim.

It makes me feel good when I pass along some good info (and possibly saved another life...).  Glad the Logbook Recovery program worked.  I remember using it several years ago and if fixed by logbook.  The info about the Logbook is also in our AVSIM CTD Guide, page 35, with a direct link to the file in our Library.  I think I'll also put a blurb in about it in the "Actions to take to prevent crashes" section.  A corrupted logbook causes a lot of crashes.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM