Sign in to follow this  

Tens of thousands of miles but time to say Goodbye.

Just a quick one.

Tomorrow I begin the Haswell Build.

I wanted to just post this for the AMD aficionados.

I've flown many thousands of miles with this chip - we have had countless adventures around the World and flown every aircraft from the humble default Cessna 172 right up to the PMDG 737 NGX. VFR, IFR...you name it...we've done it; this old Chip and I.

It's just a thank you to it before I confine it to the "Box Of Computer Bits" in the garage.

It taught me how to fly VOR Nav, ILS, NDB. Realism settings set to Full it taught me a little about how aircraft are affected by wind, Flying real World Weather,  etc.

In short, we took on FSX together - and we won.

I feel I should bury it at the end of the runway at EGKK. I'm so sorry but it just isn't fast enough to do the necessary anymore what with ORBX, PMDG, etc, but that doesn't stop me having a hell of a lot of respect and love for where it has taken me both in the Sim and Real World - I doubt I would have started flying RW if it wasn't for the experience it gave me here inside FSX.

So, Thank you me old mate AMD Chip and God rest your well flown soul. I'll never forget what you made possible.

amd1.jpg

da42.jpg

gatwick1.jpg

b737.jpg

Very well said. Good to see that someone is still appreciative of what they had. 

Hans

Quite the Eulogy... best Wishes to your venerable CPU, in its new surroundings!

Alan  :smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Quite the Eulogy... best Wishes to your venerable CPU, in its new surroundings!

Alan  :smile:

I think I'll make a Keyring out of it. 

Would be great to start the Piper Cherokee with that hanging out of the ignition - just as a reminder of where it all started.

I must admit I get a bit attached to each CPU generation as well. My favourite was the 40486DX2 generation, it opened up a lot of new things back then. Now we are in the age of refinements.

Matthew Kane

Seems too sentimental to just be tossed into the box of old parts in the garage.  You should immortalize it by re-purposing it into something useful. 

What, I don't know use your imagination...

A dollop of epoxy then clamped to a rare earth magnet  to harden and you'd have a nice sized magnetic chart holder? 

Probably a dozen or more ways that loyal slug could continue to serve you well...figure something out and let us know what you did.

Good Luck!

RE Thomason Jr.

If you take old hard drives apart the silver disks inside make great coasters. Old CPU's can be made into mosaic tile art

Matthew Kane

lol great post. Ask Gary Summons if he can add a bespoke memorial stone at the end of Rwy 26L for you. :smile:

• Upvote 1

Lots of great suggestions there, thanks chaps.

CPU by manufacturer AM...who?   :smile:

Just road testing the new Devil's Canyon...700 FPS seems quite good...

4790k.jpg

frames1.jpg

Mind you, not taking anything away from the trusty old AMD...it was long overdue for an upgrade.

So far, so good.