Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

What's the consensus on AS16 and ASCA since the patches?

Dude you are contradicting yourself, which is it brother?

To prevent confusion: Sky textures are for the blue part of the sky, cloud textures (from e.g. ASCA) are for the white parts :smile:

I'm considering as16 with the current sale since it would be like $20 for me to upgrade from ASN. The only reason I am holding out is I am considering a jump to p3d and it seems like if I buy the fsx version I would have to buy a new one when (if) I switch sims.  

With the upgrade package from ASN to AS2016 does that price also include the new cloud art or I would still need to pay extra to get those clouds? 

AS16 AND ASCA are sold as 2 different products.

AS16 license is valid for both platforms (even if the software package itself is not the same).

Combo is sold with 30% off @ fspilotshop :)

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

AS16 license is valid for both platforms (even if the software package itself is not the same).

No, it is not. AS16 for FSX und P3D are separate licenses. Only ASCA is one license which can be used in both sims.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Combo is sold with 30% off @ fspilotshop :)

I do not see this...

spacer.png

I do not see this...

It's on sale at SimMarket and PCAviator.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

It's on sale at SimMarket and PCAviator.

Yeah but I dont see any bundle discounts.

spacer.png

Okay gonna pull the trigger on the combo.  Will let you know how I fair in P3d with it.

spacer.png

But as I said, I wonder if anyone actually notices different ASCA cloudsets being loaded: the diversity you can accomplish with one set is pretty great.

That's the point. If people noticed the changes they would get tons of complaints. Look, if you're flying around in CAVOK you're not going to see much. When you fly from good weather into an approaching storm front is where AS16/ASCA will shine. The transitions are fantastic. Essentially the dynamic themes give you true weather activated visuals

As to those on the fence about ASCA - no matter WHAT anyone else says about it, they are correct - FOR THEM. It is a purely subjective opinion. You really have to try it for yourself to decide.

For me, I find the combination exceptionally realistic with very good performance.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Early adopter of ASCA here. Didn't like it because of all the texture repetitions.

As a result of this thread, went ahead and purchased AS16 and reloaded ASCA with hotfixes. To my eye, still many, many texture repetitions and a lot of "cartoony" popcorn.

Removed ASCA (reverted the Rex Soft Clouds) and I am LOVING AS16! Fantastic performance, it seems to have fixed the P3D "overcast foggy" problem,  and overall the cloud structures and layers appear more like what is out my window.

Really appreciate all the honest and objective observations in this thread. I have ended up with a better weather engine (still no joy on ASCA though).

@Henry Street - 

ASCA is continually being improved so don't completely give up on it. I have yet to see what *I* would describe as "cartoony" clouds. There are some visuals that I prefer to others but all are acceptable (to me). 

Consider - in most cloud sets, you pick you favorite and install it. Then as you fly you only see the one you like. One of the main features of ASCA is the dynamic clouds which, by it's very nature picks from different sets according to weather, etc. If you gets sets that you don't like, that affects your overall impression. The ability to select and mark your favorite sets to be used in dynamic clouds might be something to look forward to.  :wink:

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors