Sign in to follow this  
kneighbour

X-Plane 11 - perhaps hold off a bit

You really need to report them. This is the entire idea of the beta. As already pointed out, the more people who report a bug the more cases and info LR get to fix it (e.g. Varying hardware, settings). I also fix bugs all day as part of my job (and some are incredibly vague), so I have no issues opening bugs for other people  :wink: (It's kind of therapeutic)

You make a good point. But I work 10-12 hours a day in the business - pretty hard to keep doing it when I just want to relax for an hour. But I accept your comment as correct.

That is incorrect, and I have 30 years experience in digital video and non linear video editing systems as a principle software developer to back it up.

Very good explanation. Thanks

• Upvote 1

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

Then do not use a beta version. As a developer you should know that. If you use the beta version, Laminar expects you to submit bugs. They don't release the beta it to say "hey, look, how great our software is". The release it because they need a LOT of external input on bugs and performance, because they can't do that "in house".

If you don't want to do that (which is your whole thread about and which I fully understand; after all I am using Prepar3D now in my spare time, to get some time away from X-Plane work), then wait for the final version. Or maybe even 11.10.

You make some good points, but I think the term 'beta' has been devalued. It seems to now mean that it is a version that is prerelease and is more for marketing reasons than anything else. I think that many companies put out a beta just so that they can say "Hey, look how great our software is", not as a real beta. In this case LR are selling XP11 - I bought it. To my mind that is not a real beta, no matter what the label says. In my time with XP10, I have been using betas for what seems like most of the time, it loses it's meaning after a while. But we are just talking about semantics here, who cares at the end of the day?

Having said all that, please do not assume (as some have done) that I am complaining or am ranting about the unfairness of the World. Nothing could be further from the truth. I too work in the real world and a lot of the time my own software is released before we do any testing at all - none whatsoever. I understand commercial pressures all to well. I am not upset that I bought XP11 and the new beta 2 looks pretty good. Did not even get the weather vaning effect, so did a couple of very nice flights. I simply LOVE that you can now separate the 2D windows (ie the Map) and use multiple monitors finally.

Exciting times are ahead, I think.

• Upvote 1

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

but I think the term 'beta' has been devalued

I agree with you on this 100%.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

I agree with you on this 100%.

Agree as well. However I do think it's important to complain about issues. You might have found a bug that is only on your system. Complaining in a constructive way (with examples or pictures etc) is a valid way of making the sim better. Just remember is it a bug or a feature?

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

XP has been somewhat more or less in less in Beta for 20 yrs IMO. :)

Ha, this pretty much nailed it!

Well, I ask anyway: Why? X-Plane needs 20 FPS to keep up real-time simulation, and 30 FPS are more than your eyes can perceive. Do you do VR stuff?

Ok I agree with your points but stop this. Completely incorrect. Please stop spreading misinformation.

While I am appreciative of being able to preview XP11 through a public Beta, it's running off the rails.  Kneighbour stated that the term beta has been devalued and I would agree to an extent.  It's not so much devalued as it is exploited.  Any software being released before it goes to market these days can be equated to fresh red meat being thrown into a cage full of lions.  It's great that Austin wants the world to experience it early, but then people start throwning all of their 3rd party add-ons into it and expect it all to work, which skews the bug reporting.  In turn, those same people complain, we get heated discussions about why the add-on doesn't work, people get put off by it, not realizing that it isn't the full-fledged product which equates to drama that isn't productive.

I always say don't judge a book by it's cover.  XP11 is still beta even after this new release, meaning that it isn't complete and even after releasing to market, it will have its fair share of updates.

• Upvote 3

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit