Sign in to follow this  

Titan X Pascal improves FPS in XP11

It'll be heaven if we can get this kind of water in P3D or XP11.

Sundog/Triton is being used by P3D (implemented a long time ago) ... how it actually looks in the respective sim is in implementation detail which is governed primarily by performance compromises.

Cheers, Rob.

It'll be heaven if we can get this kind of water in P3D or XP11. Perfectly good enough for flight sims. 

Take a look at this:

http://developer.x-plane.com/2016/10/developer-blooper-reel-water-world/

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I know I've mentioned this before, but along with these realistic water effects, Laminar will have to figure out how to make the current static scenery models like sailboats and ships move vertically on top of the waves. Otherwise, it's going to look pretty weird if they're just fixed in space like those airport buildings.

If there is any wave action at all at a seaplane base -- and there shouldn't be much, but at least a little to break the surface tension -- then plane models will have to behave realistically with the motion also. Some of the boat-hull planes like a Goose, PBY, or a Bombadier CL-415 can handle more than a ripple too, and it would be exciting to see what the limits are with landing on more developed waves. So it's not just about wave modeling, but also the 3D objects that sit on the waves.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Global warming ;)

lol...it dows look like it.  :blink:

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I know I've mentioned this before, but along with these realistic water effects, Laminar will have to figure out how to make the current static scenery models like sailboats and ships move vertically on top of the waves. Otherwise, it's going to look pretty weird if they're just fixed in space like those airport buildings.

If there is any wave action at all at a seaplane base -- and there shouldn't be much, but at least a little to break the surface tension -- then plane models will have to behave realistically with the motion also.

Aircrafts and default ships (carrier, etc.) already react to waves now, it's just that the waves are invisible at the moment. :smile: So they only have to synchronize the new "visual" waves with the old "physical" waves. This could be an instance where the choice of running the full flight model for the AI aircrafts could turn out a wise one, in that seaplanes on a seaport would naturally react to wave action.

I don't know about static sailboats and ships. Have you tried to see if they react to waves right now? (Doubt it).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I finally gave in and just ordered Titan X Pascal from Nividia. That is $1300 including tax and shipping. The bloodest single computer parts I ever bought in my whole life... 

It's all because XP11! I wouldn't be to tempted to upgrade if not because all of sudden this bloody 64bit sim began to eat my PC inside out with its spectacular visuals!

I may very well end up sleeping outside the house on Christmas eve with this big charge on my credit card.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I finally gave in and just ordered Titan X Pascal from Nividia. That is $1300 including tax and shipping. The bloodest single computer parts I ever bought in my whole life... 

It's all because XP11! I wouldn't be to tempted to upgrade if not because all of sudden this bloody 64bit sim began to eat my PC inside out with its spectacular visuals!

I may very well end up sleeping outside the house on Christmas eve with this big charge on my credit card.

Man, I am tempted to get this card myself... Think it'll be a nive upgrade from my 980TI. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I just went from a 780ti to a 1070 SC and was tempted to go higher,  But, for $325 (sold the 780 for $75 - cheap), I'm happy for now.  What are you currently using?

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Man, I am tempted to get this card myself... Think it'll be a nive upgrade from my 980TI. 

I would wait until the release of the 1080Ti at least.

I just went from a 780ti to a 1070 SC and was tempted to go higher,  But, for $325 (sold the 780 for $75 - cheap), I'm happy for now.  What are you currently using?

I'm using 980 right now. The problem is XP11 seems to really require more than 4GB VRAM for high/max settings otherwise I wouldn't mind to stick with 980 for a while longer. 

I decided to hold on the CPU/motherboard upgrade. I confirmed that my five years old motherboard can take 32GB max ram and I just ordered 2 x 8GB sticks for it (not bad at $75). So I'll soon have 24GB instead of 12GB.

With 24GB ram I should be able to ride my 4.92GHz o/c 2500k for another year until Kabylake/Z270 motherboard settles down and see what to upgrade.  I really won the lottery on this 2500k, allowing me to skip so many generations of Intel CPUs. 

I would have stuck with the 780ti since it handled most things very well.  But, I made the change more for the VRAM than anything else. 

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Similar situation here too. I thought 4GB VRAM would last me for quite some time, never imagine this XP11 thing came out of blue and keeps busting my 980 VRAM all the time. What an expensive fix I ended up with ...

xp11 eats my 980ti for dessert. its using 5.5gb of vram so its nealry crippling me.  gonna wait for the new 1080ti or the 2080 to come out before i upgrade....

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

Odd, XP11 eats my main RAM at 16.1 GB and leaves VRAM at 1.5 to 3.3 GB ... puzzled?

Cheers, Rob.